Register now to get rid of these ads!

52 Dodge question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52wayfarer, Feb 15, 2012.

1. 52wayfarer

52wayfarer
    from Dallas

I have a 52 Wayfarer. I'm planning on putting a Ford 302/t5 combo. I was wondering if anyone has done this and if so if they have any pictures?

2. Should be easy. I dropped a 305 in one two years ago.
    There is a thread on here with a guy putting a turbo diesel in his.
    So a 302....... no sweat!

3. 52wayfarer

52wayfarer
    from Dallas

did you have to move the firewall back?

4. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

302 is easy except for the usual steering box/ exhaust manifold issues you get with this vintage of Mopars, no matter the V8. I suppose it's possible to retain the column shift but floor shift is more likely with a T-5. I'm working on a 39 Chrysler with a 302/AOD and I think I have the
    original column shifter working

5. 58prostreet

58prostreet

6. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Firewall should be able to be left alone. You may need to tweak the radiator mount forward a little for fan clearance. Front distributor on 302 helps at the firewall. Not sure about trans tunnel.

Check out p-15/d24 forum for more answers etc. Google for it & join.

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Pieceola cakeorini! As for steering box clearance, you can address that in two ways. The engine does not have to be centered in the chassis, it can be offset to the right 1 or 2 inches if need be (same amount of offset front and rear, DO NOT angle it!), and there are several left side manifold configurations available for 289/302 engines that will likely have something that works best for your application. On that issue, google "replacement exhaust manifolds" and you will find a lot of options.

At the rear of the engine you will likely have to remove the crossmember that ssupports the original bellhousing. You will nedd a crossmember a litlle back from that to support the T5 tailhousing mount.

You should be able to fabricate some mounts that weld to the frame to support the side mounts on the engine, using stock Ford insulators. Earlier mounts, mid/late 60's are very adaptable.

Best wishes on your project.

Ray