Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vin's and titles help info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the13bats, Feb 15, 2012.

1. the13bats

the13bats
    from orlando

Okay I said the wrong thing and got my post deleted..sorry I will be more careful

I still would like to know on old cars with the VIN on the engine and maybe or maybe not on the frame how does one buy and resale the car and get it through DMV

My dmv tells me if I buy an out of state car they must SEE the VIN on the car....if that cars VIN was on the engine which is long gone how do I ever get said car titled in my state?

thanks,
    Cheers,
    P.

2. jesse1980

jesse1980

what kind of car are you talking about here?

3. the13bats

the13bats
    from orlando

Old 20-30's stuff that stamped the VIN on the block and in some not all cases the frame rail....I understand Ford "T's" and "A's" were in this situation...as many others

If I buy one how will I get it titled if the DMV has no VIN to go look at ????

4. jesse1980

jesse1980

i will ask my neigbor across the street tommarow for you. he has 4 old 20s and 30s coupes he built. he has been doing it for about 30 years. im sure he will have the right answer for you. if i had to guess though i would say a builders title. illl PM you when i talk to him.

5. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

They will title it off whatever car the engine came out of. So even if its a model A body, if you built a frame and put a later engine in it, it will be registered as "68 chevy" or whatever you go with.

thats if there are NO vin numbers anywhere on the car youre starting with

I hope youre not building a rat rod... those arent warmly greeted here......

6. metalman

metalman

I can't believe how often these post come up. There are 50 states so there are least 50 different answers. Did you ever think of asking YOUR state's DMV what to do in that situation?

7. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

8. crx20si

crx20si
    from miami

Im having the same issues out of Miami:FL- Sometime this week I will be going to the DMV with my bill of sale and paypal transfer of proof of purchase.

My story will be the owner that had it last had the title in the glove box and a rat ate( car has been sitting since 1991) last registered according to the plates.

* If they want, i'll have the car vin along with the bill of sale sworn!

Worst come to worst....I'll say its a custom built...*Do all paper work required and get it inspected*

9. the13bats

the13bats
    from orlando

I am NOT building a $$^#$%& Lol Rat...I admit I look at old weird ones, ( and sometimes laugh ) but I do not want one, I want a daily driver something of a jalopy...not a trailer queen...something I can have fun driving not fear it will get dented.

Lol...I have been doing this over 35 years and sometimes it's nice to chat with others about things and see what went how where they are from, I know the head of this type thing of my DMV personally.
    But she doesnt know it all...

I never knew the real early cars used the engine as the VIN and in the case of a hot rod that original engine is long gone my state will want to look at that VIN....so if the car had a new engine installed that doesnt mean the person went and retitled it to that new engine...in that case a 29 ford could have a title of a ** year chevy,

in the last 50-70 years I would bet lots of rods had new engines, frames , body panels etc...the car is still legit but for me I cant title it if that old VIN is gone....

I guess I ran this out.
    But thanks for the opinions.

10. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

Be glad you are in Florida, one of the easier states to title in. (I was a resident of Jacksonville, Fl. from 1971-2004) Calif. is a total nightmare, Georgia a wetdream, do your homework with local hot rod clubs or find a buddy in Ga. and do the $150.00 title/tag/insurance boogie (grin).

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  11. the13bats

the13bats
    from orlando

In your case you do have a VIN on the car curious what year is the car?
    I have a real fear now....If I want some ford that now it appears ran the vin on the engine....if I have a legal 1929 ford and the vin has to be seen on the car by DMV and the title is the old 1929 ford title reflecting that engien number and the engine is long gone they will not honor that here.

12. nfleone

nfleone

13. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Almost always the vin is stamped on the frame

14. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Just to make this right it is not a vin it is a serial number only and may be on the frame also. Gary

15. crx20si

crx20si
    from miami

Its a 1955 F100, but no doubt i will get this car registered!

16. the13bats

the13bats
    from orlando

So is that the number that is used as the cars VIN on the title?