Register now to get rid of these ads!

1930 Model A-MURRAY (lots of pics) Update 2/14/12

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 66JameStang, Feb 14, 2012.

1. 66JameStang

66JameStang

Good Evening folks!

In the tail end of 2008 I bought this car and have not really done too much with it since then. Had it running once or twice but in no condition to be road driven... The time has finally come and I started my project at the end of last week. The car is in Arkansas where I travel to hangout with my family and work in my Dad and brothers shop...

Plans for the car:
    - Remove the wood, it is basically all rotten
    - Manufacture metal to take the place of the wood, we are doing it door by door and piece by piece. There will be slight modification in places that we will fully replace with metal like the doors and a lot of the framing.
    - Wood style flooring throughout the car and perhaps wood style bench seats

These are just some of the basic ideas I have for the car and all of which may or may not change. I have never dealt with wood in a build before so I am open to suggestions and ideas...

So with out further delay here are the pictures!

[​IMG]
    1st picture was taken in NM in 2008 after getting it home from Colorado.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So far this is the most work that has been done on the car other than cleaning it out and removing all the rotten wood (and the rattas)! The door has been reconstructed with steel in all the places where wood belongs, the door is solid as any door I have ever felt and fits very well when the body of the car is in the correct alignment! It will be cleaned up after the final fit of everything... try not to hate on my welding too much i am still an amateur :D
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture of the passenger door with the wood still in so you can see what has been replaced..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  2. dgg-dt1948

dgg-dt1948

Looks like a really fun project. Good luck with it

3. 66JameStang

66JameStang

Sorry if the pics are too large I tried to do some resizing! If there are any pictures y'all want to see in specific let me know...

4. 66JameStang

66JameStang

Thanks I am really looking forward to it!

5. 66JameStang

66JameStang

6. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

My son posted up this thread while working on the Model A while on vacation here in Arkansas. he bought it a few years ago, and since he has had some other projects, and a full schedule, this is the first chance he has had to work on the car.

The metal on this car is in incredibly good shape, other than a few holes in the corners of the floor pans, there are no rust holes or any extensive rust anywhere on the car. The wooden frame that the body is built over is another story. Every piece of wood is rotted beyond use.

Anyway, Jim intends to run the stock banger with a few hot rod touches, and he intends the car to be HAMB friendly.

btw, the car does run and drive as is....

I really enjoyed our time together over the last week or so, and I am looking forward to working with him on his next vacation.