Register now to get rid of these ads!

Exploring Arizona- abandoned, wrecked cars & trucks, old hiways, etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by applekrate, Feb 9, 2012.

1. endlessearth

endlessearth

That is correct. Occasionally they have a slumber party in my kitchen cabinets. This little guy is a 4.5 footer that slithered out of my lazy susan one morning last april. He owns the territory around my house. I see him a lot under the bushes. But after chasing him out of my kitchen and then one more time out of my garage with a broom he doesnt come inside anymore. The time he was in the garage he got up in my wife's treadmill and it took me forever to get him out of the roller mechanism. He was so pissed off too. I could kill him of course but then another one will take over the territory and then I will have to train that one as well. There is no shortage of rattlers up here. Snakes remember where there is good hunting and where they had bad experiences. Hey, its AZ. Everything here has thorns and fangs.
    [​IMG]

2. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Nice door draft blocker ya got there!

3. Looks like they do here after the local circle burners get ahold of them.

4. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

OK :eek: I just had a heart attack.........Holly You Know What.....Batman....

Finished building Wild Horse Pass a few months back, and they would crawl in the building a lot and we had to evict them. The tribe said we could not kill them so we would take them back to the desert.

5. About one of these and they could have the whole house after I abandoned it.

6. Curly5759

Curly5759
    from Aridzona

I believe you are talking about Jack Ass Acres, it was on I-17 near New River. Its gone now, nothing left but some old lumber from the buildings. He used to advertise his cars in Hemmings.

Curly

7. Here is another find, not completely sure what it is but, am goig to guess it is a '28-'31 Ford. This is based on the screw cap in the cowl. If anyone knows for sure, let me know.

[​IMG]

These appear to be the 'b' pillars, so guessing it is/was a 4 door

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This isn't the oldest stuff we have found but, it is close.

8. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

This on is around 32st and university, sitting in a moble home movers yard. still there with a keep Out on the gate
    [​IMG]

around the same area
    [​IMG]

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

'28 '29 four door cowl

10. Mafia Ron

Mafia Ron

Wow. That old Mack is killer. Does anyone have info on it? I am just curious as to the story behind it.

11. steeljunkieII

steeljunkieII

appleKrate good thread

applekrate likes this.
  12. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

Here is some old tin in a wash behind someones property in St Johns AZ. I can only assume that the rest of the car's are burried in the sand & silt!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. scotts52

scotts52

I'd be out there with a shovel.

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hell yes I'd be out there with a shovel! I don't see anything that isn't save able! Sure could use that '23-'25 cowl...

15. Keith,

'some one'? That stuff is near my property. One of those I did indeed dig it out. took longer than I thought even though it was mostly out of the ground. I gave it to one of my friends who collects stuff of that vintage. He identified it as a 1917 model T truck cab.
    The one that sticks out straight up, showing the firewall./ started to dig that one out too, then realized, it is not a cowl but, appears to be an entire body sitting vertically and buried. That is strange.

The "T" sedan ( think it is called that ) is what I think it the oldest find so far. Probably not going to find anything older that WWI era. Finding that stuff is hard enough.

If you research Az history and old hiways, The main trail/road went through Springerville/St Johns/Concho to Holbrook. This may explain why some of this real early stuff exisits.

I found all this stuff that Keith pictured about 5 years back by just looking around.

16. Taff

Taff

and i would push your wheel barrow. jesus, that cowl.

17. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

I know that Steve!! Didnt want to give away the location!!!

18. he he "there is gold in them there hills!"

19. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

20. 68wagon

68wagon

great thread applekrate

21. thank you, I agree

Maybe this thread will encourage others to start their own thread about interesting old hiways and abandoned cars in their state too.

22. thanks again glad to do it

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Not to be contensious, but the one that you dug out is actually a '23-'25 C-cab cowl and sub rails. The tall post on the drivers side gives it away from about 200'! Now, the trick would be to find the doors! Howell's makes the rest...

And I do have to agree, This thread Rocks!!! Wish I had thought of it.

24. Taff

Taff

if all goes according to plan, I'm going to be working in Yuma for 4-6 weeks next year, possibly around april time. Looks like I'll have plenty of frsh air and hikinh to look forward to!

25. steeljunkieII

steeljunkieII

just south of me 60 miles [​IMG]

26. Man, what a cool thread! My In-laws live in Surprise, and the next time I'm there, I might just have to bring the Trail 90 and go exploring. I have lived in the High Desert area of California for almost 30 years, and I have never seen the cool stuff you guys have in Arizona. Out here, it seems like all of the old tin has been picked over, and the tweakers got what was left and scrapped it. The areas where you guys go exploring is beautiful country. The picture that applekrate posted showing the stream and the abandoned bridge is amazing. I made it my screensaver for today.

Can't wait for more pictures!

Applekrate-
    Does your yard have much 60-66 Chevy truck stuff?

27. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

LOL!!!!! Steve is a Pontiac man!! Cut him & he bleeds Pontiac Blue!!

28. Yeah, I thought that as soon as I hit the Send button.

How about this: Any GMC trucks? To me, the GMC was always the truck that should have had a Pontiac badge on the side. And Pontiac power, too.

I'm looking for a patina'd 60-66 Chevy tailgate with the original white lacquer for my '64. My truck had a cabover camper for most of it's life, and the original tailgate was removed decades ago. I just need a "burnished" white tailgate to match the rest of the truck.

Enough of that crap. I don't want to sidetrack this awesome thread.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming............

29. Perrorojo

Perrorojo

If you dig it out my wife said get the dryer!

30. -Brent-

-Brent-

That cowl is clean!

Great thread fellas, I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to go out to some of these spots and pilfer.