Register now to get rid of these ads!

wilson welding 39 lincoln brakes how much .

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by troylee, Dec 19, 2009.

1. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

This is very interesting information. So let's get down to the bottom line.
    Does the benefit of switching from old ford brakes to Lincoln/Bendix style brakes justify the cost?
    I've never seen hard evidence, i.e. actual measured 60 to 0 stopping distance comparisons between old ford, Lincoln/Bendix style, or disks.
    I'd like to hear some thoughtful opinions on this from guys with personal experience with these brakes.
    Thanks

2. I am also waiting for backing plates and a few other bits.......but hey, Eric aint 1800-streetrod.

3. Bass, I don't think the old boy at the LA Swapmeet has anymore C4 backing plates(that I know of.) We bought the whole stack he had. When I was there he said that was the last of them. They were a hundred bucks apiece. About five of us in our group of friends had to have them. All are spoken for. I bought the MT stuff for the front of my 34 project and would have to say the quality is excellent. I am very happy and Eric sells the stuff now. Cost me about a grand for everything in the front.

4. No measured stoppping distances but the difference is night and day. I don't think stock '40 brakes are much better than mechanicals. I've driven both and when you are in traffic you are looking for an alternate route if you need to stop fast. The Bendix style Lincoln brakes work as well or better than disc brakes in a light car in my opinion.

5. I received the backing plate kit...they look great...Eric came through...evrything went together great...hope to try them this summer...thanks Eric @ Riley's Automotive and Jim @ So-Cal

6. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey I need to get hold of Wilson's but cant access his site here in China. Anyone got his email address or can check it for me please?

7. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Wilson does not have a computer...PM me.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

You need to call Bob directly. He dont do computers. He is a really great guy to deal with. If you buy from him you wont be disaponted.

9. Reindeer

Reindeer
    from Finland

On my avatar I run with finned Buick front brakes from Bob Wilson. He assembled these when I visited his place five years ago. Bob is very nice guy.

On this same car I have MT Car Products Lincoln style rear brakes that Dave Wilton sent to me. Despite I have the spacers with the kit some spring perch grinding required because I use Model A style spring on top of axle.

I have 67-70 GM fullsize non-boosted dual m/c mounted under passenger floor with stock Model A pedal and crossbar with extra arm welded.
    No any valves added. She stops well and pedal feel is good.

10. Rocket-Boy

Rocket-Boy

i got a set. shipped them to Australia and im very happy with them... you get what you pay for

11. Does anyone know when they stopped making those c4 backing plates? I think they are boss but are they going to really be that hard to find?

12. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

I am having Bob at Wilson machine making me a pair of Ford hub for my buick fin drums.
    This is the second set he has done for me nice work.
    Frenchy

13. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

In my humble opinion drum brakes on a hot rod should be drum brakes not disc brakes with fake drums. This is traditional hot rodding. I feel the same about dressing up a SBC to look like an Oldsmobile engine. the old stuff is not that rare.

Ago

14. Andy

Andy

I have read the first and last pages. I would advise the OP to check to see if 40 drums will go in 14" wheels. Might not be able to use Wilsons. An alternate would be F-1/F-100 as they are smaller.

15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Last year, I bought the complete MT Lincoln brake package from Gary M. at Cornhuskers Rod and Custom and am very pleased. No perceptible run out. Front and rear bearings and seals are included too. Gary is an excellent person to deal with and so are the MT Products folks. I took plenty of detailed photos of how they install on a 1940 Ford so if you need photos I can email them to you. I painted the drums. http://cornhuskerrodandcustom.net/Pages/home.aspx

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  16. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Well I am not an expert but I have Bob wilsons brakes and I am happy. Customer service is like the credit card commercial says priceless !!Speedy Bill is an oriental clearing house its kinda like the fat girl thing I get some there but I dont wanna get caught !!

17. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

What does that include? Does he make new drums too?

18. Bitchin' information .... ten years on. HAMB zombie thread, activate !!! Up, baby !