Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ford Flathead Oil pan Question??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toast, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Well I had an 8BA in my 40 and had to put a Truck pan on it to clear my suspension. That worked great!
    Problem: I just put an New 50 Merc motor in it and didn't notice that the front of the pan is 2" deeper than the truck pan and it is less than an inch from the axle when just sitting!:eek:

Question: Will the pan off the 8BA fit the Merc motor? I just don't want the to get it all apart and find out the front or rear seal is different or something else I haven't thought of?? Any help would be great!

2. I am pretty certain that the pans are interchangeable between the Fords and Merc flatheads. Only major difference was the crank stroke...

3. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Thanks, thats what I was thinking but sometimes i'm wrong:rolleyes:

4. jetmek

jetmek

pump pickup is different also...

5. cbillelder

cbillelder

Yes, the truck pan can be used on a Merc motor. Got one in my '32 right now.
    You must change out the pan and the pickup as set, though.

6. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

I kinda figured the pick-up would have to be used as well if the pan fit was the same. Thanks for the info guys!

7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

The 8BA car oil pan does not have a rear sump and will not clear your tie rods, etc.
    I used a 1949-51 Merc oil pan and it clears the stock 40 axle. But when I installed a 4 in. dropped axle with the Posie reversed eye spring the Merc oil pan comes about an inch from the axle. If you put washers under your front rubber axle bump stops the axle will hit the rubber stops before it contacts your oil pan.

8. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

You could do what I did and get the maximum axle - tie rod - draglink - clearance

59 pan that now fit’s a 8ba

[​IMG]