Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Americas Largest Car Collection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dave Mc, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

2. AfterhoursFab

AfterhoursFab
    from NJ

Ok, yet another museum added to the list of places to get to one day..

3. bryan6902

bryan6902

Neat place to visit. They apparently have a show every summer where you can see more than what they just have at the main complex. Would like to be there for that... It is too overwhelming to take in on just a few hours.

4. Yearly open house in August. You get to see his house and tour Marymount Acadamy where the collection was originally housed. The new museum is a consolidation of various cars housed at other placesthat previously were not viewable by the public. At least that is what I was told. It would probably take to full 8 hour days to view the whole collection.....if you rush. :D

5. bryan6902

bryan6902

I was at Marymount in November. Overwhelmed was the word of the day. We thought since tours left every hour it was an hour long tour. We rushed and still spent 3.5 hours there. We thought it was crazy that the collection has gotten SMALLER over the last few years. That many cars is difficult to fathom in one collection.

6. neet collection
    i was younger i toured Harras in Reno Ne

7. Tailgaterdude

Tailgaterdude

"("(

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  8. When I left Tacoma 5 years ago I thought this would never happen. It looks nothing like the original renderings of what they planned to build. I like it though and will have to go back home to see it someday soon.

9. lincolnhead

lincolnhead
    from Marysville

i am 45 mins from this place you beat your butt when my car is done im going to be taking the family to the drive in!!!

10. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

This collection, by itself, explains why you do not see lots of old cars driving down the street all over America.
    This is HOARDING

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

No, hoarding would be a mass of cars (most in need of repair), crammed in a space meant for 2 cars. This is a collection of well kept or restored cars, in a space meant to hold and display them. Didn't you see the video?

12. CGkidd

CGkidd

I got to meet Harold Lemay before he passed away. Very nice guy. As far as hoarding not even close. alot of the cars had complete restorations done to them to bring to where they are now. There was a full time shop working for him just restoring these cars in the collection. I know after he passed away alot of the ones that needed full restoration were sold off in auctions.

13. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

If you had Harold Lemays kind of money you would do the same thing. Hoarding ? Please.... come on man.

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

This is could be hoarding.

Attached Files:

15. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You don't know the meaning of the word.

16. pair of deuces

pair of deuces
    from western WA

Close - the original collection was at the house, on 2 levels, and then Marymount was acquired later. The new museum is a non-profit entity set up by the LeMays 2 years before Harold died, and mostly consisting of cars donated by the family. Most of them were previously displayed at their home place or at Marymount, but a few were retrieved from long-term storage. Located right on I-5 in Tacoma, its grand opening will be June 2, 2012. It will showcase around 300 cars, including some on loan from the LeMay Family collection and from other collectors. There are about 300 cars at the family home in Parkland south of Tacoma, which is open one day a year, in August, and 400+ at Marymount Academy, another mile south in Spanaway, which is open daily for tours. Both the family and the museum have sold off cars in recent years, mostly parts cars, fixers, and duplicates. They still claim over 1500 including those in storage offsite. The new museum also gets as many as 4 cars a week donated by other owners. One recent donation is a '32 Ford sedan delivery hot rod. Together with the family sites, the 3 locations are really a gearheads dream.

In full disclosure, I am an employee of the new museum. Its tough duty, but someone has to do it....

17. thanks for the details. :)