Register now to get rid of these ads!

292 Y Block 12" clutch?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalmike13, Feb 15, 2012.

1. metalmike13

metalmike13
    from Glass City

OK, here's the question folks.........

I have a 292 Y in my 61 F-100. I have the factory light duty 3 speed trans and column shift. Stock, this had a 10 1/2" clutch. What i found in my truck is a 10 1/2" clutch. However the only available "off the shelf" replacement clutch sets are 12". All the parts stores list this set by application for the 292 Y block. The diaphragm/pressure plate assembly is obviously larger in diameter than stock. So as i am looking at this, i could have the machine shop drill the flywheel accordingly to allow the pressure plate to bolt up. It looks like the starter will clear the pressure plate, and if the pressure plate doesn't interfere with the bell-housing as it spins, it looks like this setup will work. I have searched here, and haven't found anything specifically addressing the bell-housing or starter clearance. IF this works it would be great, as you would have a ton more clamping area over the stock setup.

So, Is this possible? Has anyone done this successfully? If so, what mods did you need to do? If this doesn't work, why?

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd see if there is a brake and clutch supply shop in your area. Usually in cities of any size there will be a shop that rebuilds brake shoes and clutch plates and pressure plates.

The other thing is to see if a 292 in a car shows the 10-1/2 inch clutch as someone may have swapped a car engine and or flywheel and clutch into it at one time.
    I found a ten and an 11 inch clutch in some mid fifties Ford cars but no 10-1/2.

dana barlow likes this.
  3. metalmike13

metalmike13
    from Glass City

Mr48chev,

There are shops in the area that could find exact replacements, or rebuild what i have, but I would like to run the 12" clutch if there is no interference. My factory Ford shop manual shows the correct 10 1/2" clutch as a stock sized clutch for my truck. Thanks for the input!

4. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

I really think you might have a problem of interference with the bell housing. About the only way you'll find that out is if you go ahead and mount it up but that's a pretty expensive experiment. Is there some reason why you have your heart set on a 12" clutch when, apparently, Ford never used one on that engine? Alot of Flathead guys have had problems installing 11" clutches.

5. metalmike13

metalmike13
    from Glass City

I don't have my heart set on the 12" clutch. Trying to think outside the box a bit. There must be a reason that they show this application in almost every parts store computer. I already have the 12" clutch set in hand. If there isn't interference with the bell-housing it appears to be just a matter of drilling the flywheel and mounting the assembly, resulting in a much stouter setup than stock. It would save a lot of time and headache if it does fit. This is why I am looking for someone who has personally tried this. Apparently in the past it must not have been a problem to find a replacement for the factory 10 1/2" setup. Also comparing the Flattie to the Y Block is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. Another discussion for another day. I want to try and keep this on topic to hopefully find someone who has tried this. Thanks for the input.

6. In '55 the 292 car had a 10.5" clutch. If that is any help. The clutch disc wouldn't be any different.

dana barlow likes this.
  7. The 12" clutch on a 292 was standard in '63 &'64 in 600 & 700 model trucks. These trucks had a different bell housing than a 3 speed, a 12 might not fit.
    It should not be a problem to find ANY clutch at a REAL parts store where the people are REAL parts men, or women. Get away from the places that only look at 'puters.

Bill Whitehurst likes this.
  8. 64gal

64gal

Somethings not right at your parts stores! I uasually see lots of 11 inch clutches in these trucks, my friends 64 f100,292 had a big input 3 speed and a 11 inch clutch. These clutches are all long style clutches, not diaphram.

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  9. metalmike13

metalmike13
    from Glass City

Ok, let me rephrase this. I'm sure without a doubt that I can find a 10 1/2" or 11" clutch without issue. That is not what this is about. I want to know if anyone has tried, or been successful in putting the 12" setup behind a Y-block in an F100 with a light duty 3 speed trans. That is all.

10. LostHope

LostHope

So far by the replys no one has you would be the first outside the box thinker! You should try it let us know how it goes....:D

Truck64 likes this.
  11. I was just going to post this, the 12" clutch is a monster set up, not suitable for use in the smaller pickup. It would be a compound can of worms. NAPA should be able to have the correct clutch in no more than 3 days.

bob

12. the three kings

the three kings
    from Texas

here's a thinker

13. metalmike13

metalmike13
    from Glass City

Has anyone else tried this??

14. carmuts

carmuts

I beleive I have a NOS clutch disc you need and possibly the pressure plate. for the 10 1/2" if NAPA can't get it right. Thanks Rod

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did check every available online source and all of them do show the 12 inch clutch kit as being the one for that truck. I'd have to agree though that a 12 inch clutch is a lot of clutch for that truck unless you are going to tow with it all the time. Sometimes bigger isn't better.

16. metalmike13

metalmike13
    from Glass City

For the record......

The 12" clutch and pressure plate Physically fit and will rotate without ANY interference with the bell-housing, dust shield, starter, throwout arm, throwout bearing, input shaft etc. The throwout bearing and pilot bushing included in the kit visually appear and fit like the ones that were removed. With this installed, the throw out arm is straight, or perpendicular to the center-line of the engine. The only issue that i can foresee is adjustment of the throw out arm/linkage. However that being said there appears to be more than enough adjustment on the linkage.

Remember this was tested with a truck bell-housing and the light duty 3 speed transmission from a stock 61 F100. Obviously the flywheel will have to be re-drilled to mount the larger pressure plate. My engine shop recommended re-balancing the flywheel with the pressure plate mounted to alleviate any balance issues.

17. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is an old thread, but it is really relevant to my needs.

I have a 1964 F-100 short-box with a 292 Y-Block, with light-duty three-speed transmission. I have been preparing it for pull duties of my 37 Ford on a 16' car-hauler trailer -- to various vintage drag race events in the mid-west. My first priorities are durability and reliability.

As metalmike13 pointed out, parts supply outfits show the 12" clutch as standard replacement, which is not accurate. I went ahead to order the 12" disk and pressure plate from my local NAPA, and brought the new pressure plate and my flywheel to a local company "Precision Automotive Diesel" here in Rockford (815) 874-7979.

These guys re-surfaced the flywheel and re-drilled it for the larger diameter of the new pressure plate. I replaced the existing fasteners with new ARP 350-2802 Flywheel Bolts and new ARP 150-2201 Pressure Plate Bolts -- extra stout hardware only for peace of mind.

It all fit with no issue, and the truck shifts smoothly. The only thing that I might have done differently would be to balance the pressure plate and flywheel as an assembly, as metalmike13 suggested. There is a very minor vibration at idle, which I believe is really not enough to worry about.

loudbang and Truck64 like this.
  18. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

@Finn Jensen this is the kind of thing that gets me frustrated, I usually like to have all or most of the parts on hand, but a lot of things won't work that way, simply don't always know what ya got till you tear into it, and then half the stuff people talked about finally makes sense, and the parts store says "ya can't get there from here."; back order, unobtanium, etc etc.

All 64 trucks used the same clutch & pressure plate, no??

19. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not to my understanding. The "big" trucks (600 & 700 series) used the 12" clutch assembly, to my understanding.

NAPA shows the only clutch assembly for the F-100 292 Y-Block to be 12", which is not correct. And this is consistent with other major parts houses.

To simplify my situation, I originally was looking to procure a correct new or used flywheel for the 12" clutch. But nothing is listed. And I searched many sources. In fact, in my case no flywheel is listed for 1964 at all -- only a replacement starter ring gear.

20. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Hm. How long does it take to drop the 3 speed gearbox and get at the the innards, remove & replace? Never tried it, but it looks doable without a lift. Maybe a long day?

21. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

I put an off the shelf diaphram $120 11inch clutch on my FE flywheel. It originally called for an 11.5" which was only available as a long pressure plate which gives a really stuff clutch pedal. That is what was in it. Turned it on a lathe and redrilled. I can post pictures if you would like.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't time this, but it is maybe more like a half day -- when you have everything ready. There is a fair amount of room to work under the truck. But it needs to be on jack stands.