Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What us trad rodders were doing in the 70's...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badshifter, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

After Nam, kids and trying to make it, didn't have time to build so just bought a 70 Charger 383 hi pro. Enjoyed it until the wife said she couldn't put the kids in it. Took years to get back into the old cars.

2. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

I loved some of those cars! Except the blown 4-door Mav. I think I'm going to put sidepipes on my wife's Cherokee.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  3. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Yeah OT. But lots of us cut our teeth there before moving on to more traditional rods and customs. Amazingly, I thought I owned an old car back then with the early camaros, but it would be the same as some kid owning a 2001 Mustang today. Puts it all in perspective doesn't it??

These were mine and I miss all of them...

Attached Files:

4. Harms Way

Harms Way

Everybody was messing around with N-50's over here,... Some of us got to play with M-60's until '75.

[​IMG]

Guard the Bud !!!!

Attached Files:

• bud.jpg
      bud.jpg
      File size:
      47.5 KB
      Views:
    • sun2.jpg
      sun2.jpg
      File size:
      29.5 KB
      Views:
  5. novadude

novadude

Amen! Lots of 50s and 60s iron getting ruined with stupid 18" wheels, "modern" interiors, etc. Reminds me of the pastel pink poser "pro street" trend 25 years ago.

6. Doug B

Doug B

Oh,man...I was right there...graduated in '75. First car was a blue '72 Malibu. Air Shocks,N-50-14 Wide Ovals on Cragar ss wheels,glass pack....that old 307 would float the valves like crazy at 100mph....But the Craig Power Play 8-track and the Jensen Tri-axials would drown out the noise...those were great days... Thanks for the trip!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  7. Bud??? Shit all I got was OB!!

8. Harms Way

Harms Way

"BA MUOI BA" 33

AKA TIGER PISS !

mmmmmmmmm :(
    [​IMG]

9. Christmas 1970 ... right after the Bob Hope USO Show

Johnny Bench, Lola Falana, Gold Diggers .... round-eyed women. I was depressed!

Attached Files:

10. F&J

F&J

In 70 I had the exact orange 69 Dart 340 Swinger with the same black bumblebee stripe,,,,,,, and dammit, i DO remember the header ad with the 2 girls in red bikinis.

a blast from the past :)

11. swimeasy

swimeasy

NO SHIT!:eek:

12. Gettin' stoned... drinkin' beer.... and doin' burnouts with my '65 GTO!

Ah, or was it being a burnout, gettin' stoned and drinkin' beer in my '65 GTO.

Oh well.... I can't really remember the exact order but it involved pot, beer and my GTO.

13. Harms Way

Harms Way

Not trying to redirect this thread,.. But DANG!!!!,.. you were at the show in '70,.... You,... You,... You,.. BUM !:cool:,... I got to see pictures from another Marine from that show,... but that was as close as I got.(These aren't them,.. but some I found on the Internet).

Huh? ,.... very same day,... Well I'll see your hooch and raise you a LRRP way north of the "Z" ;) (somewhere I do have a couple shots of "CAS" on that very day)

Man !,.. Thats cool,.. in a weird and freaky kind of way.

[​IMG]

14. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Thanks for the hallucination ! ! !

Vr&c.

15. afaulk

afaulk

Hmmm, i wonder where are my bell bottoms....... nahhh

16. afaulk

afaulk

I know where my combat boots and flight jacket are though....

17. bfink55

bfink55
    from Turlock CA

i was born in the early 70's and all the stuff looks very familar to me ! i love all that stuff.

18. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

I was recovering from the 60's. That flower power stuff was really hard on me.

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Because he did shit like this, my dad said Bob Hope was the coolest motherf*cker who ever lived.

20. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I was lucky to avoid Nam. Went to Germany instead and saw the likes of the Stones, Zeplin and Tull on tickets that just cost 12DM, or $3.00 back then. Those were some good times. Gary

21. fatkoop

fatkoop

Now you know how stupid all the stuff that we think is the shit right now is going to look in about 30 years. Everything has its time and place.

22. I didnt want to go to Germany .... I think the Army made you stay for a longer tour and I heard it (Germany) was one cold mother, after all I was a SoCal boy. I was ok when I got orders for VN but then the plane diverted to Korea because of infiltrators there and they thought they needed me behind a howitzer. I was on the Korean DMZ for 15 months, cold in the winter and monsoons in the summer and stinking rice paddies all around us. But I wouldnt trade the experience.

I gotta say it was pretty strange sniffing the rice paddies one day and the next day screaming down the freeway hitting 65 mph after just spending 15 months never propeling your body any faster than a jeep could travel on a dirt road .... freaky!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  23. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Same look on into the early 80's ... my first GTO came w the 389 and 4spd apart in the trunk for 200 bucks in 1981
    [​IMG]

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

25. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

I got my drivers license in 79, and had a 66 Nova with air shocks and the biggest tires I could fit on the back, couldn't afford matching mags for the front. those pics brought back some great memories, I saw a lot of rear ends in those days....of all kinds! ha ha...

26. AGY mechanic

AGY mechanic

Had a 55 Nomad, orange with a black top, 389 pontiac motor with a 4 speed. Had gabriels and L 60-15 Kelly springfield superchargers on the back. Those Kellys made the most beautiful howl you ever heard.

27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lotsa hair, silk shirts with big collars, bellbottoms, wide belts, platform shoes/boots, halter tops, hip-huggers, earth shoes, moccasins, girls with looong straight hair split in the middle, beer, doobies, purple microdot, the park and frisbees, cutoff jeans, Elton John, Carpenters, 10cc, Led, Stones...and no aids.

Gas was expensive, (for the times) the muscle-cars were cheap. Bought a '70 Roadrunner for $900...383, dual quads, 4spd, 456 Dana truck axle, N50 rear tires, Ansen slots, all jacked up. Also a '70 Javelin...390, auto, posi for $1,200. You could still buy leaded gas. Cruising Gratiot. And all the girls "I knew so well." .........sigh.

I lived in northern suburbs. Spent a weekend in Wyandotte with friends one spring...'75. Lots of kids from well-to-do families down there. Went to a huge park, and the place was absolutely filled with muscle-cars.

28. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

You know I'll probably get in some kind of trouble but I wish I had my big block Camaro with the L60 x 15 bfgs on it now. I'd go beat on some Hondmazdasubaitzis..........Really I feel sorry for the kids now days. Anything worth having car wise is over their heads money wise. Crying shame. And they don't know any better.

29. bscottstudio

bscottstudio
    from Kansas

Oh man, I am gettin the munchies......

30. k9racer

k9racer

And all I could think of was that Charlie Daniels song line " Whos got the car with the peace sign. Mag wheels and 4 on the floor" Thanks for posting now I will light up a dooby. Not Really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.