Register now to get rid of these ads!

2.2 Turbo Chrysler in a T ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by COOP, Feb 14, 2012.

1. COOP

COOP

Engine space in a T body has always been at a premium, so I'm trying to put this 'lil 4 cyl 2.2 Chrysler motor in a salvaged '60 s built bucket. I am not familier with anything Mopar ( other than my Town & Country)so my question is.... what trans do I use that converts this front wheel unit to a more usable rear drive? I know there out there, just don't know what I'm lookin' for. Thanx, Norm

2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Dunno but it sounds like fun!!

3. Wonder if the same years Dodge and Mitsubishi mini trucks had similar based engine blocks. Might be a good starting place for a trans.

4. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

early dodge dakotas till 96 with the four clinder had the same engines, in rear wheel drive. I saw one at the smog shop about a week ago and thought it was strange. Hope that helps you on your quest.....JOHN

5. stamierdodge

stamierdodge

they also had a ram 50 with the 3.0 v6. and a 5 speed. this 3.0 is the same as the dodge stealth and 3000gt. so that means you can have a v6 dual overhead cam twin turbo with a 5 speed. yes the dodge trucks had the same motors. mine was a 90 power ram 50

6. Ive got an 89 Dakota 2.5 5 speed that was given to me for exactly that,
    Once it rusts totally out that is! :)
    One thing to note is four banger trucks only have a 7.25 inch rear, while
    The sixes and eights have an 8.25.
    Good luck!
    JK

7. TurboShadow

TurboShadow
    from Prosser wa

Yup need a Dakota bellhousing, and preferably block. The Dakota block has provisons for side motor mounts, the FWD blocks do not. Depending on the year of Dakota bellhousing you have, you can use a late 80's Toyota Supra tranny, that is stronger and has "car" gear ratio's. Im not to familiar with the RWD 2.2 stuff, but know the FWD stuff like the back of my hand and have a TON of parts. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Also, I hope this is okay but head over to www.turbo-mopar.com those guys will be able to explain in detail how and what parts to use in a RWD setup, along with how to get 400hp out of the little 2.2!

8. I typed my original response from my Iphone... it looks odd.

Anyway, there is also a 4 bbl M1 (Mopar) manifold for the 2.2, in case you wanted to go that route. I passed on one about 4 years ago at the Centerline Swap meet... been kicking myself ever since. :/

I can see the point above about the transmission though... mine is either an AX-5 or 15 (not sure which) but it is very, um, truck like? There is wide spread in ratios and it is very ratchety. But it is a cast iron cased trans, and is holding up well (truck has over 150K miles on it).

JK

9. The Mitsu trucks (Ram 50) had the Mitsu engines and transmissions. The 2.2 is totally different and is a CHRYSLER engine, not Mitsu. Your choice for a transmission is that early Dakota four-cylinder truck mentioned above. The Ram 50 truck is a Mitsu truck and never, ever had the 2.2L Four in it at any time.

TurboShadow has the best info posted!

10. JEM

JEM

http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/showthread.php?t=4740

The Toyota R154 (Mk3 Supra Turbo) is part of a family of Aisin transmissions used all over the place, including the Jeep/Dodge AX15, lots of Toyota trucks and a few others. Different input shafts and tailshaft housings, shifter locations, etc. The R154 is the strongest and has the tallest first gear, some of the truck boxes have a very short first. They also seem to be, unfortunately, the scarcest and most expensive.

GM used this transmission as the AW5 and MA5 in Colorado/Canyon trucks and the Solstice/Sky, unfortunately none of them really got 'good' gearing (the Solstice/Sky LNF turbo was a beautiful, wonderful, great engine but the car's quite a bit heavier than a little two-seat roadster should be, by the time the marketing folks got done adding this and tweaking that it ended up as big as a C6 'Vette.)

The Solstice tailshaft and shifter configuration would put the shifter somewhere around the middle of the back seat in a lot of applications.

The NV3550 is (I think) a cheapened (non-synchro reverse, etc.) version for US-branded trucks.

The MkIV Supra Turbo used a 6-speed Getrag transmission similar to that used in the E39 M5 and some other 5-series Bimmers. Quite strong, somewhat larger, generally pricey, to my knowledge not compatible with any of the Aisin bellhousings.

The AX5 is part of a lighter-duty range from Aisin, including the Toyota W55/W58 (older RWD Celicas and Cressidas, non-turbo Supras, Lexus IS300/Toyota Altezza, lots of trucks.)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  11. RacerRick

RacerRick

You need a Dodge dakota 2.5L block, and might as well grab the trans also. They are the only rear wheel drive compatible block without lots of fab work. As said above they have side motor mounts, and the start mounts in a different spot IIRC.

12. I've been eyeballing the mighty 2.5 all this week... and have some questions.

Did the earlier 2.2's ever come with v belts? I'm thinking the serpentine belt setup wouldn't give the right 'look'... AND...

Has anyone ever made any 'dressup' parts for the timing belt cover? That cheap looking piece of plastic HAS to go! I'm thinking finned aluminum.

Valve covers? I'm pretty sure Direct Connection/Mopar Performance had chrome ones back then, is there any aluminum ones out there? Other than the one that says TURBO on it, that is?

Will the V8 electronic ignition box work on it? You know the orange/chrome deal?

Thanks!

JK

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  13. storm king

storm king

The Mopar 2.2 is an awesome, stout piece capable of making tons of HP without much fuss. There are a couple of outfits still doing parts for them, look to Mopar Action Magazine, I think they're closest to that group of guys, or could point you in the right direction. After that, Mopar Collectors Guide might have some info on who's doing those mills yet. One things for sure, that motor in a light T will make one nice handling, fast, economical T!

14. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

Sounds interesting!

15. ems customer service

ems customer service

carefull some dakota 2.5 engines were the jeep version which were totally different 1996 and newer

16. Those would be the ones with a timing chain (like the new Magnum 2.5) and not the timing belt, right?

JK

17. We put 4G63 with the turbo on an F3 chassis a few years ago I'll suggest you be mindful of the heat created by the turbo

18. Zandoz

Zandoz

Just a point of note. A lot of those turbo 2.2s that are still around probably need close scrutinization. They had very strict oil maintenance requirements that many to most owners were not aware of.

I knew of a few dealers that would not put a used MOPAR turbo on their lot. Any that they took on trade went straight to the auctions.

Having owned a 2.2 HO non turbo Turismo, I think if you do find a good turbo version, it would be fun in a light weight T.

OT...if anyone knows of a readily available RWD automatic tranny that will mate up to those Jeep 2.5 4s, I'd love to hear about it. I know there were 2WD Jeeps and Dakotas, but last I checked they were rare around here.

19. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I actually bought a new Plymouth ReliantK sedan. I remember the Mopar Dealer having a catalog like Ford Racing with bellhousings, manifolds, etc for the 2.2 engine to be used in a front facing format.
    Couldn't complain about the car either drove it into the 180K range then sold it and saw it around the neighboorhood for almost a decade. The buyer even stopped by to thank me for such a reliable troublefree car.