Register now to get rid of these ads!

rechroming 52 DeSoto teeth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MoparFinman, Feb 14, 2012.

1. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

What is the process of rechroming potmetal parts? My DeSoto grille is badly pited and has a hole or tear in one piece. Do they sand these down and polish than chrome is there away to build the part back that has a hole init?:confused::confused:

2. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Take it to a professional to have all the work done. They know how to do it correctly. If you work on it first and don't do it correctly it's going to cost you more to have them fix your work and then plate it. There's a lot more to it than just grinding and sanding. I'm not a plating expert but I've read enough about it to know I don't know how to do it.

3. Squablow

Squablow

Holes can be filled with silver solder, works best if it's not in a structural area. Pits can also be soldered up or if they're not too deep, filled with multiple stages of copper plating which are sanded down in between.

Bring them in to your plating shop and have them take a look. It's typically not a good idea to try to pre-prep them yourself, most shops don't want to do plating over someone else's prep. If you have one or two particularly bad teeth, it might be wise to find replacement cores for them, loose teeth sell on eBay for $40-$50 if you're watching. I bought two '52 grilles and plan to use the best of the two sets.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

be sitting down when you go to the chrome shop and get the estimate on a complete job.

5. TJratz

TJratz

Contact chrome plater josh here on the hamb

6. Butch/1

Butch/1
    from Dublin ,Va

Take bobj49f2's advice and save yourself a lot of trouble.