Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Does the HAMB really need another shoebox build thread?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Big A, Sep 14, 2011.

1. very cool thread, easy to follow along and looks to be in good hands...

2. Well, I can't say I've never used your name in vain :D but nope, no hate.
    This car has pissed me off a lot of times and I was probably an idiot for trying to tackle it, but I'm feeling pretty good with what I'm accomplishing and learning a ton. Some day I'll drive down to Austin and give ya a ride.

That trunk lid is going to be fun. Scares the crap out of me.

3. This has been a awesome journey and to watch all the work you have put into that car is inspirational.. to say the least....

I am subscribed....

4. daddio211

daddio211

Classy reply Bob. :)

5. Nothin' to it, but to do it. Get things cut and lined up, used a stiff straight-edge to keep things aligned...

[​IMG]

I planned to use the chunk cut from the front of the doorframe to fill the gap in the top, but after I chewed on it for awhile I decided to just make a new piece...

[​IMG]

Needs some finishing yet, but looks pretty spiffy...

[​IMG]

Looks pretty much like a door if'n ya ask me...

[​IMG]

...'cept the angle of the dangle has changed somewhat...

[​IMG]

Got the passenger side to this stage today too. Tomorrow I'll see if I can actually get them to lay down and be good like they're supposed to.

6. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Looking Killer Big A!!!!

7. Andrew, you are truly an inspiration. Keep at it.

8. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I thought I was the only one to use that saying , lol !!

It's looking good so far .

9. skoh73

skoh73

10. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Nice work with the door piece!

11. Nice work and great commentary.

12. daddio211

daddio211

In the case of this door post it looks more like the direction of the erection. :D

13. Keep on keeping on brother

14. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

looks nice keep on

15. bigbren

bigbren

I am starting my first build and you are truly and inspiration. SUBSCRIBED!

16. A couple of well-aimed slices, inside the door at the A and B pillars...

[​IMG]

I clamped them against the body and snot welded 'em...

[​IMG]

Seems to have solved the dang door wang...

[​IMG]

Got some clean-up to do, but both doors are playing nice now...

[​IMG]

17. That is bad ass!!

18. Thanks for all the positive comments. Very much appreciated. Hopefully someone gets something out of all this.

Ok, so when Bob chopped this car he moved the rear window, and thus (thus! big little word, eh?) extended the trunk opening, about 6". That way you don't end up with a big space between the rear window and the trunk opening, looks more stock. He 'splains the principle pretty well in Mad Fab III (available wherever fine greasy hot rod DVDs are sold), but doesn't get into the actual how-to extend a trunk lid part.

So, I happened to have a couple extra trunk lids lying around, so with my trusty cut-off wheel in hand and not a friggin' clue what I was doing...

I used the ol' "dirty glove trick" (hey, not that dirty glove trick) to make a paper template, so I could see how the 2 pieces would or wouldn't line up...

[​IMG]

Using said template, I figured out how much to cut off the first victim...

[​IMG]

It was pretty beat up across the back, but in good shape where I needed it, so no great loss to cut this one...

[​IMG]

Setting it in the hole you can see that the shape of the opening no longer follows the stock contour of the lid. This will take some work...

[​IMG]

And after slicing another perfectly good stock lid, it was about a 1/4" too wide for the opening, so I gave it a couple of relief cuts to narrow it by a blond one...

[​IMG]

Which brings us to here, before I ran out of time...

[​IMG]

The upper piece will get pie-cut and spread apart about 1/2" on each side, I think.

I've got some time to mull this over before I make any more cuts. I'm headed to Detroit for the Autorama this weekend, so won't be touching this for a couple of weeks.

19. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I dig this shoebox build! I saw another shoebox with the dual taillights (not the pink one) and really liked it. Glad to see this one will have it too!

20. 117harv

117harv

Big A, first i would like to apologize, i have seen your thread come up many times but i just passed it by as i'm not a custom guy. I just read it all the way through, WOW, you have some serious determination, and a go get-em attitude. This may be just a project for you but i think it's inspiration and motivation for so many here, it shows what can be done with hard work.

Thanks for starting this thread, great pics and text, you are doing a GREAT job:)...and thanks for not...laying frame.

21. I would get the trunk edge straight and welded, then match the chanel on the body to the trunk.

Trunk Plan B: make sure your widening cut on the forward section is in the same spot as where you narrowed the back, that way if you can't get it all welded and flat, put a couple ribs down the trunk over the top of the slices. Hell maybe even a couple more tail light fins for good measure. :)

Great to watch your progress, again I wish I could stop by and help, it looks like fun.

22. I was wondering why you were snubbing me, but since you're the 200th poster on this thread I accept your apology :D Thanks for the comments.

Well Tyler, I know you work a lot, but at the rate I work you can come help me after you're retired, I'll still be hacking away at this thing.

23. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Looking good, Andrew!!

24. EBW

EBW

Great Job on the door situation !!!
    Been following this for awhile.. true inspiration for me and my project !!

25. 510madmav

510madmav

hell yeah dude! good work.

26. Holy shit ANdrew, great build you have going on here buddy.. I can ssume the pinstriping and painting have been a little lax as of late? Hope you're planning on making an appearance at the new Mega Speed show to hang out and mop a little One Shot for a while with us? I will be now subscribed to this build as you have been doing many inspirational moves here. Makes me wonder why the pretty good old 56 Dodgem car in my garage hasn't seen the toolbox open next to it all winter!
    See Ya,
    Chris.

27. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Jeez are you not done yet? I thought you were just gonna give a skim coat of bondo and call it a day. :) :) :)

Looks good bro!!!!! :)

28. Dang - I ain't never seen no body cut a trunk lid up like that!!!

Good work on the doors too man. Freaking Ruler that you are.

29. Sauli

Sauli

To answer the question on Your thread-title, YES. Build threads are why I, for one, log on to this site every day, and what a build-thread it is! Wow.
    At the sight of the first photos in Your thread I thought this car had a nicely-proportioned top-chop and would be well worth some work, but wow, that´s a lot of metalwork it turned out to take in the body lowers! Most impressive work, too! I really like Your floorpan-work, and seeing Your taking the time to figure out how to scratchbuild it is just pure ingenuity and inspiration. Well done, and well documented! Thanks for sharing.