Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Good-bye grandpa. 05/01/1932-02/12/2012

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LOWBLAZERO1, Feb 13, 2012.

1. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

my grandpa passed away yesterday. he was a great man, who was smart and could fix damn near anything. he will be greatly missed.
    he passed away in his sleep, home in his own bed, surrounded by family all day. he died after a year and a half long struggle with lung cancer.
    he contracted polio when he was 3, survived it, and after experimental surgery learned to walk again, despite the doctors saying he couldn't (i attribute it to his work ethic and stubbornness, lol). he walked until he was 78. i have the utmost respect for him for this, among millions of other reasons.
    before he died one of his final wishes was to give his truck to me (o/t 93 GMC cheyenne long bed). he loved that truck, and said i would take care of it, so i should have it. every time i drive that truck i think of him. i haven't driven it since he died, and i believe i will have a hard time doing so, due to sentimental reasons. but friday is his funeral. i just found out i am going to be able to give him one last ride in it before we bury him. i will be acting as his hearse and delivering his body to the cemetary from the funeral home. has anyone else ever done such a thing? anyone have any advice i should be aware of beforehand?

2. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like a great man. I learned a great deal from my grandfathers. Cherish the memories.
    As far as transporting, double check that it doesnt take some sort of permit.

3. Harms Way

Harms Way

So sorry for your loss,... Check with the funeral home on transportation laws,.. I beleive it takes a special state certification.

4. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

thank you! we verified it with the funeral director and such this afternoon. i believe the funeral director will actually be driving his truck.

5. 32-3 WINDOW

32-3 WINDOW
    from utah

sorry to hear of your grandfathers passing , sounds like he was a great insperation and icone for you , he will be with you for the rest of your life in spirit and its neat he left you hs prize truck , i am a retired fireman and have given the last call (or ride) on a 37 american lafrance many times , we had all neiboring departments attend and help in colorgaurds etc. the funeral director will assist you with paulbearers and positioning , it will be a memory you and your family will cherrish for life , my prayers go out to you and your family god bless

6. I think your gramps would be proud.
    Drive the truck, that's what he wanted.
    RIP

7. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

sorry to hear about your grandfather -keep his truck clean for him

8. rats28

rats28
    from Louisiana

Sorry for your loss I had a friend that owned a wrecker service he was carried on his roll back with no issues or permits.

9. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

Sorry for you loss, sending prayers to you and your family. Drive his truck with pride, he'll be smiling down on you every time you do.

10. As a former embalmer, I can tell you that, at least in CA, there is no permit required to transport human remains. My friend was taken to the cemetery on the back of his fire engine. Besides that, what cop is going to pull over a funeral procession and ask for permits. Just do what you and your grandpa wanted. If the funeral director bitches, tell him to pound sand up his ass.

11. shadams

shadams

^^ what he said.

Anyway, sorry for your loss. My G-pa will be 90 this year, and we are planning a huge blow out with literally the whole family coming in from everywhere to celebrate. I hate to think about it but know that day is coming in the future. Be thankful you were a part of his life and keep him in your memories...

12. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

You are very fortunate to have such a great guy to look up to.My gramps died 20 years ago.My fabrication skills started in his shop next door when I was a kid.Every time I walk into my home shop its because he got me there.I hope you will have the same memories that will last a life time.RIP

13. lorollinls

lorollinls
    from TN

My prayers go out to you man. Sorry for your loss. I have my grandpa's old truck too, so I totally understand.

14. Willy301

Willy301

I think you will find funeral directors usually bend over backwards to support final wishes. We have laid a few firefighters to rest, tranporting them on a fire truck, which is tradition. I have never heard of any permits required, and I actually worked for an ambulance service that was owned, and got its beginnings as a funeral home.

My thoughts and prayers to you and your family for your loss, and I am sure you will do him proud. He is whole again, and can walk.... and work, without pain. He will be beside you everytime you drive or work on that truck.

15. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, sorry to hear this.
    I still remember the day my Grandpa went, I was young (Pre-teen) it was the first time I ever saw a dead body. It really stuck with me.
    Think of the good times, it helps.

Doc.

16. kmc777

kmc777
    from sedaliamo

First of all so sorry for your loss. I agree no one is going to say anything about taking him for one final ride.When my uncle passed my dad and I took him for one final ride,in the truck in my avatar, the three of us had a great ride despite the blurry vision from the tears.We had taken mant rides together through the years and those memories will live with me forever.Enjoy that ride man

17. wedgehead63

wedgehead63
    from Auburn KY

We all should be so tough as he. We bitch too much and give thanks too little. RIP to him.

18. Shopking

Shopking
    from central Pa

Keep that truck forever.My pap was the strong influence for my shop skills.Loved spending time in his workshop since I was a wee little one.Ended up with only 1 or 2 tools due to family issues but I will never part with those tools.

19. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So sorry to hear about your grandpa. It's sounds like you really loved eachother. My dad had a GMC pickup that he loved. When he passed i drove the truck to his service and i drove it behind the hearse. He always called it his "little GMC" We had to let it go a number of years ago because of the shape it was in. It broke my heart to see it go. Treasure the truck and everytime you drive it know that he's right there beside you. God Bless.
    Gasser Girl

20. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

Grandparents are "Early America" in their ways. This was a time when people were honest, knowledgeable and kind. Unfortunately, those days have past and the proof is what America is now... in deep trouble.
    We are sorry for your loss. Stay strong and believe that your Grandfather is in a much better place.... RIP.

21. Sorry about your loss.
    However, we all can take a lesson from the way your grandpop lived his life.
    It appears he had true grit and nothing stood in way. God bless

22. terryble

terryble
    from canada

Dad bought his Chevy truck in 88, enjoyed the hell out of it even extolling the virtues of that "new fangled fuel injection", he died in 95 and Mom gave me his truck because that's what he wanted. I still have and drive that truck and beleive me I go for drives with Dad all the time. It needs paint and some rust repair "again" and I will be doing that this spring, Original motor got tired so i changed it but rebuilt the original for a future project just because. I know it sounds wierd even to me when I talk about it, it's not morbid, it's just enjoying all the time shared with good parents which is rarer than we all think.

23. Don Martin

Don Martin
    from West Tenn

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like you Grandpa was greatly loved. I lost a friend a few months ago. He was carried to the cemetery in his 57 Nomad. He lived in south east Mo. To my knowledge there was'nt a problem.

24. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

thank you all. i did love him dearly. and in the last few days i have seen the lives he touched, being as he was such a good man. i hope i can be as good as him when i reflect back on my life. Grandpa wasn't into cars too much but i most definitely consider him a gear head. he loved this truck, and always kept it Immaculate. seems each time i drive it someone comments on how clean it is. i plan to keep it as sharp as possible and drive the wheels off it. luckily its a beautiful color, and is a great looking truck to boot. about a month ago i was offered more than what he paid for it in 1994 when he bought it. he got a kick out of it when i told him. we had an unspoken agreement that i was never to sell it. and i never will. i have a 12 year old cousin who is much like me (and reminds me alot of grandpa) i believe he may get it one day. i hope i can touch people's lives as much as he did. today we got to see his body the first time after he was embalmed, and he looks like his old self. looks content, and happy. i placed a set of keys to the truck in his hand. i told him anytime he wants a ride to feel free to do so. or give me a sign and we will head down some backroads together.
    i will miss you grandpa.

25. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Sorry to hear about your loss ! Prayers go out to you and your family !

26. Had to experience this very same thing last November. Very tough, stay strong man.