Register now to get rid of these ads!

1933-34 Ford Frames with no "18" prefex

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Baron Von Mazur, May 2, 2011.

1. Baron Von Mazur

Baron Von Mazur

Maybe someone can shed light on this...
    I have 2 1933-34 ford frames. One has a serial number with seven digits starting with *520XXXX* and the other one has a serial number with six digits starting with *600XXX*
    Are these 4 cyl frames and how can I tell if they are 33 or 34?

Thanks
    Baron

2. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

3. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

most lists show an the serials starting with 18, not sure about the 18 in front, i just registered a 34, 32 and a 41 none of them have "18" to start the sequence, the 7 digit starting with 5 for a 34 seems odd, according to most lists

here is a chart i often use
    http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumbers.htm

4. Baron Von Mazur

Baron Von Mazur

On the six digit serial my guess is they just left off the 18 according to http://www.wnyrg.org/tip.html On the 7 digit serial I am lost as I know its not a 1940 frame. Maybe it is an import? Any ideas?

5. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

The easiest way to tell the 33 from the 34 is by the front x member braces in front of the crossmember. The 33 is open between a portion of the front x member and the 34 is fully attached to the crossmember. I will see if I can find a picture. You can google to find more information on the VIN's

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The frame # was a secondary stamping, copied from the primary number on trans at assembly, and many lack the prefix on frame. the 600XXX would definitely be a '34 V-8.
    B serial numbers started at 5,000,000...I don't know how high they got, but that seems a bit high to me. Will see if I have a source for B numbers around...there was no overlap, since 221 numbers didn't reach 5 million until after B production was reduced to just a handful in industrial engines here.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

8. A bit of additional information. If you are looking at the number that is visibale under the hood on the top of the left frame rail near the steering box you should see a "star 18" or "star B" prefix. If you are looking at numbers further back that are normally covered by the body the prefix was usually omitted.

Charlie Stephens

9. The *18- prefix was omitted on my '38 Ford pickup. It has the full serial number on the bell of the original trans, but omits the stars and prefix on the frame.

10. Baron Von Mazur

Baron Von Mazur

Thanks Bruce. I now know I have one 33 frame and one 34 frame

11. rckymtnhi

rckymtnhi

Fords system was a mess, some numbers were not complete. Maybe it was stamped on a Friday afternoon late and the dude wanted to go home, or it was done on a Monday morning when the dude was suffering from a terrible hang over. What ever the case it will come out ok for you. On my 34 Tudor it started out with a star B18 star six digits and then a star. From what I found out the B means this 34 rolled out the door with a 4 banger........................;-) For what its worth to you !

12. One also had to remember that the numbers were stamped on those frames while the Ford assembly line was in motion= not stopped still=,thus we have many instances where the complete number ended up either incomplete or in some cases a digit being illegible ,displaying only a small part of the digit or no digit at all......
    Add in the effects of 70-80 years weathering and its understandable.