Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects It's time for a new engine ! Oh well !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rob-redm, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Deuces

Deuces

My Z/28 had that cam factory installed... I didn't mind wrenchin' on the motor once in a while.... ;):D

2. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Yeah me too...we can go together.....till my Flathead roadster is done...

3. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I'm going to visit my uncle in April.......he has a good running 1955 265......interested???

4. draggler

draggler

Sorry for your loss!
    Thank the big man you were not out on a roadtrip with sizeable towbill
    to add to the build/swap!
    Best of luck to the rebirth!

5. Engine is being built as I write this, 283with a Duntov 30/30 cam ,solid lifter engine. Found some polished Cal-Custom valve covers.. Will need to come up with carb in the near future, but waiting to hear back on that part of it. :D

6. choppedsled

choppedsled
    from Spokane WA

Run the 30/30 if ya want. Sure there are better modern grinds available, but that could be said about nearly every other aspect of hot rods. I'm all about nostalgia, and a 30/30 was used a lot, even in little 283's. If ya want to run what was used, GM offerings...mech: Duntov 097 Duntov 30/30 or Hyd: L79. The latter being my choice, but I am a little conservative :)

7. The 35 was Hot Rod back in the early 60's.. from what information I have... It ran a solid lifter Duntov 30/30 engine before.. It was replaced at some point with a 265 .I know there are way better modern choices for sure on valve train, but wanted to stay true to the car... I don't plan on driving the wheels off this ..It will be fun !

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  8. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Duntov 30-30 is still a great choice, it it isnt like they were idiots who designed it, now yes you can get more power out of a newer cam but the ramp angles are faster and spring pressures are typically more too, both not good things for life, but then again it isnt like most people that put solids in there car expect to drive them as much as when the cars were new and GM dealers where having to fix them.

Also this is a traditional hot rod website....

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  9. choppedsled

choppedsled
    from Spokane WA

Amen!

10. I will second that !

11. I would offer my condolences but I am always tickled by a new engine in anything I have. The small journal is a good choice for sure.

keep us posted.

12. It will be nice having a new engine in the 35, will get more pics when I can

13. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Nice choice, when I was a kid my dad had a "sleeper" 64 nova 4-Door with a built 327 and a 30/30 cam. Ran 12's at Carlsbad on stock skinnys. Was a bit faster on the street, because you could "roll the light". That car flat hauled ass. I can still remember the sound of it screamin' down valley parkway in Escondido. Makes me want to build an old SBC with a 30/30 just thinkin about it, and Im a Ford man.

14. Well, should have the engine back in a just over a week or so, I'm get stoked to have the 35 back on the road... will have it on run stand first to dial everything were its being built.. can't wait ! didn't getting any pictures of "in progress"...sorry... no camera ! oh well

15. you don't say.. point taken :D , but going that route with the 30/30..

16. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I love you Shaggy.:D Yeah don't put that old 30-30 in there those old corvettes were dogs. Lippy;)

17. We will keep it REALLLLY happy, :D lol... The folks building this engine for me know what there doing...and we've planned this out very well...

18. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I belive the 64 vette had one didnt it?? otherwise it didnt reappear in a stock car until the 67 z-28, but that's because chevy dumped small blocks for those years and emphisised big blocks because of it's anti-racing stance

19. wow ! great info guys ! thats what makes this web-site great..

20. richie rebel

richie rebel

sorry to here about the motor rob,the new motor will do the deal.richie....

21. update !!!! Looks like the long block is pretty done. Needed to buy a new carb , and drop off some Cal-Custom valve covers... Getting close to back on the road with Ole ' Saphire !

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  22. Got the new Edelbrock 1403 500cfm electric choke carb on Friday from Summit Racing for the 35 paid extra to ship overnight.....dropped it off along with a set of Cal-Custom v/covers I traded for with a buddy.

23. Well great news !!!! The engine is finished, didn't get to hear run on the stand, but was told it's ready to go back in the 35... should have it back
    home Thursday ... YEAH !!! :D

24. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Oh sure when he puts a small block in he gets "SWEET!" but when I do I get heckled and spat at.

25. Willy301

Willy301

Jeff, he kept the rebel spirit and also shunned the majority with his cam choice. They knew he would not succumb to peer pressure about the big block. You, well, they just like heckling you and spitting at you...I personally prefer a good small block, but there is a spot in my heart for "no replacement for displacement"...

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yea, but WHO has the better SBC thread going?? Eh? Eh?:D

27. Wait, you mean 35 coupes didn't come stock with SBC's?

28. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Nope, and apparently corvettes had such shitty motors that everyone pulled them out and threw them in old cars.....

29. exactly, they couldn't make them run right in platsic cars... so Early Fords had to do.... Jeffrey James... who spat and heckled you for putting sbc in you Ford.. for crying out load !!! LOL:D getting close..