Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do all our shops look like this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris F100, Feb 13, 2012.

1. My shop is 30x40 and 2 floors of it and I don't have as much room as you guyz!

It sucks cause I've got a lot of work to do and the only way to do it is to either take a car or 2 out or lose freakin' weight!

2. i just cleaned mine up yesterday because its been gettin harder to find tools. i only have a 12x20. most of my work gets done outside :(

3. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

Ha! I dont feel alone then.I havnt been able to see the top of my workbench in years. It has several "layers" stuff stacked on stuff stacked on stuff! Im currently useing an old ironing board as a work bench! However attached to my garage is a 20x18 shed. I just finished empting the whole thing out. It needs a roof so Im going to make it taller and knock down the wall so the garage and shed is one room. I baught a ten foot alumnium u-haul box for all the rakes shovels lawn tractor wood splitter ect... I hope to be more orginised by the end of summer. 18x20 should make a good work shop.

4. I moved out of a cluttered 15,000 sq ft shop to a 1,500 sq ft shop. that one little zero can really screw you up. but I make no excuses for the clutter. it's a pattern that has been developed over a 70 year span. have no plans to change now. how ever it is very exciting every time I get to see a patch of the concrete floor.

one thing in my favor is everything in my shop rolls. tables, carts, wheel dollies ect. I can roll everything to one end and as I sweep move things back again. I have 4 bays and room to work in one. with everything on wheels it allows me to pick which project I want to work on. now thats organised eh?

Attached Files:

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That's IT!...........my excuse too!!.........and, actually, it IS true :D

Ray

6. S.F.

S.F.

Mines only clean when a new car backs in the spot...build...dirty...car leaves...clean...and repeat

7. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

mines a trash heap . i start to feel like a junk yard rat when i walk into it , i know theres a vehicle hiding in there some where

8. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

I gotta' go clean my room...

[​IMG]

9. greasybearpaw

greasybearpaw

hey i started with no garage to working out of a 30 foot enclosed trailer to now a two car garage that only has one door to it and about to be moving it all into a storage unit till the summer when i go home to no shop again[​IMG][​IMG]

its kind of clean here in these pics but now its all kinds of messy and hard to get around
    also to mention that i get to share the place with the dogs when i'm not in there.

10. I try but it keeps getin clutered

Attached Files:

• 013.JPG
      013.JPG
      File size:
      149.9 KB
      Views:
    • 014.JPG
      014.JPG
      File size:
      147.7 KB
      Views:
    • 024.JPG
      024.JPG
      File size:
      149 KB
      Views:
    • 049.JPG
      049.JPG
      File size:
      146.9 KB
      Views:
    • 050.JPG
      050.JPG
      File size:
      150.9 KB
      Views:
    • 027.JPG
      027.JPG
      File size:
      154.1 KB
      Views:
  11. Hey looks like you've got a good start.... you cleaned the windshield!

Well..... at least part of it! :eek: :D

12. Mickey One

Mickey One

Right now mine looks something like Tommy's.It's getting better as I go through some of the crap that belongs to my son who moved out west,my daughter who moved a couple of towns over,and my wife who can't throw a damned thing away.

13. Yeah, mine's cluttered until warm weather, then the once-a-year cleanup.

14. shops are for working
    garages store cars
    buildings hold whats left
    i have many buildings and garages and a shop
    mostly work on cars outside ..

15. i've always thought our stuff is like a gold fish; it grows to the size of it's container.

16. firingorder1

firingorder1

I guess I'm with the clutterbugs.

[​IMG]
    By weslake at 2012-02-05

17. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Mine looks like homeless people use it to sleep in, but witha model A in the center.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amen to that, I should be out organizing. The last time I left the garage door open some Red Cross people and FEMA showed up to inspect the "storm damage". I didn't have the heart to tell them that there hadn't been a tornado thorough it.

19. You talking to me? The answer is yes. I have two "shops", and the only time they've been cleaner is before I moved in. Health issues dictate restricted shop time, so working is more productive than cleaning.

The only way they could look organised would be to take a week to clean them up and never set foot in them again. Picture two is right after concrete floor was put in. I took the picture to remind me of what is under the mess in garage number two.

Doug.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. greasybearpaw

greasybearpaw

yep i know that feeling

21. afaulk

afaulk

What do you do with all that extra space? Ya need more stuff!

22. Zandoz

Zandoz

In the 55 years my family has owned the property where I grew up and did most of my wrench turning, there was only 1 vehicle ever in the garage...and it was only in there about a year. On the other hand, there is no telling how many cars and trucks were worked on just outside that garage door.

The vehicle that made it in...a 1946 Jeep with a flat head Ford V8. The reason it made it inside was to thwart a neighbor kid that thought it was a jungle gym.

23. DavidL

DavidL

Mine is cluttered too. With my big kid junk and my kids junk. There was some nice weather days about two weeks ago and was motivated enough to clean up my workbenches. Still need to clear the clutter from the floors.

24. It got kinda small so I added on so I could make a bigger mess.

Attached Files:

25. GREASER815

GREASER815

Yeah, we are all hoarders

26. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

Mine's pretty clean, got the 51 Ford in it and one of my sleds, a 08 Arctic Cat F8 Sno Pro. Room to move, although I won't talk about how stuffed the old retail lumber yard I rent is, and my other four-stall building, and. . .and. . .and. My kids are in their 30's and are starting to worry. I tell them to just give it to all my friends on HAMB.

27. Oldhenry1

Oldhenry1

Mine is a 24x30. I had to scramble madly to get the '35 in the shop before it snowed. I've been storing a 21 stud and a 24 stud/w tranmission in the back of my pick-up all winter. Moved lots of stuff to the attached "garage" to make room(my wife and I both park outside in the driveway). I'm in the City so my neighbors love to inform the City about my Vehicle storage practices(I'm a couple rigs in the red). The City can't tell me what the difference is between an improved surface, a maintained surface and an improved structure and I ain't talking, so far so good. A move to more wide open spaces may be in the future, my fingers are crossed.

28. Joatha

Joatha

Mine is in the middle on the clutter scale. Most areas that are nice and clean and well-organized. Then there's the bench with all the front end parts for my Barracuda. That one isn't so well-organized. They are laid out like I need them. But, it is a bit cluttered on that one. I also am not happy with a couple shelves that are a bit messy as well. Oh well...not time to really clean them up, though. Maybe eventually I'll get to it.

Maybe one day I'll put up a picture. I have a 24 x 36 shop. Right now I have my Barracuda convertible and my Model A in there plus I have to store my tractor in there. My second Barracuda is in the main garage attached to the house. So, I have plenty of room.

29. Where can I get a remote controlled vice?;)

30. chevelle bob

chevelle bob
    from Linton

Wow do I feel a whole lot better. I thought I was the only hoarder with barely enough room to move around my project cars. With a 1.5 car detached garage/workshop and a 2 car garage youwould think I would have a lot of room. Now especially with the fire I had recently I can hardly touch my cars.