Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Camper, "The Canned HAMB" trailer project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Dec 21, 2011.

1. At the speed you're going it won't be long. Lookin' good!

Are you staining the Birch and/or clear?

2. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

cool! subscribed!

3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Probably just clear polyurethane. That should make it look sort of "golden", we want it pretty light as the trailer is so small.

Brian

4. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

That looks pretty good Brian!

5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

This thing is killing me. I absent-mindedly took a step backwards off the 2x12 plank on sawhorses I had alongside the trailer yesterday, fell backwards on my ass onto the icy cold cement floor. Luckily, the new hood for my '76 GMC one ton dually leaning up against the wall broke my fall. :mad: Wrenched my back on the way down, and banged up my elbow.

Then, while using my elec. drill to run the drywall screws in the plywood sheeting, the bit slipped and jammed in the side of my thumb, went behind the nail. That doesn't feel very good either...

Brian

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn Brain we must be distant cousins as much as we both bang ourselves up working on projects.
    That trailer is starting to look like something now.

I spotted one about the same size sitting at a place the other day and will have to go check on it in a couple of weeks after the income tax refund comes back. The wife will Kill me if I bring another project home though.

7. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Man, Brian...WTH!!:eek:

It sounds like you better take a day or so break...before it breaks you!!!

8. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Holy crap - that sucks !! Take a couple days off from the project & you'll be able to kick it's butt ! Hurting your back is really tough - give it the time it needs to feel better . A hot chick giving you a massage never hurts either ... on doctor's orders of course ;) .

9. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

I'm sure you have already checked out the vintage trailer group? Lots of good contacts for that hard to find item and help if needed,

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=193

I went through my 47 trailer as well. When I got it it was gutted and only a shell. It was a good project keeping my mind occupied while going through a divorce. I added the port hole windows, wings, and fender skirts. Ive attempted to off it a few times but it just wont leave. :rolleyes: maybe I don't really want to see it go... :D

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  10. Nobody said 'custom' was easy...
    I can call OSHA and hold a safety meeting if needed.

You probably didn't have a proper hand rail on the 2X12, the 2X12 wasn't attached to the sawhorses and working without a saftey net. Didn't have your hardhat, knee/elbow pads, and steel toe saftey gloves on. Using a a drill instead of a drywall driver.... Man, you're lucky to be alive.

Hope you heal up OK. I've had the 'back' thing going on for 30 years and have to be careful. Also a couple Philips bit "star' scars but mine was just finger meat, not under the nail. That makes me cringe.

Get better!

11. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ouch!! I spent a couple decades as a carpenter, am right-handed, and today (at 58) my right hand doesn't have a mark on it. But that poor left hand is scarred and beat to a pulp! That screw gun in the thumb hurts!

Stop doing that!

12. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That thing is cool! I was thinking of putting skirts on this little trailer, that seals the deal.

Thanks for the sympathy too guys, I think I'm gonna live though. You're right, no handrail on the 2x12, no hardhat, no nuth'n. I should sue my dad for letting me use his unsafe barn to build this thing in!

I unpacked the hood for the GMC and checked, it's OK!;)

Brian

13. Simple.

Simple.
    from Troy, MI

Brian, Do you have a source for the new aluminum siding? I am thinking of getting another scotty to build and wanted to redo it with nice, new, dent free aluminum.

Jon

14. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Been waiting for the next installment? I thought so! Here's a teaser, follow the link to my blog for more pics and a blow-by-blow. It's starting to look like something...

Attached Files:

15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Jon, there are many sources, all relatively close to you, if you consider Elkart IN close. Just do a Google search, or make a trek to Bontragers RV Surplus, or one of the other many RV suplus outlets around that area, and have fun shopping! I'm using plastic sheeting, with a bright silver finish that looks like Mercedes silver up close, mill finish aluminum from a few feet away on mine, stay tuned for that!

Brian

16. That cracked me up.

Hey, it's looking like a hamb can again!

17. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Attached Files:

18. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Attached Files:

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Brian, looking good. How the heck do you get flat windows to fit the curves? Gary

20. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Man oh man, you don't mess around! Looking real good!

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's starting to look like something now.

22. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

All the windows are new, the front one is curved (tempered) glass, and I simply made the front of the body to fit it. The rear and large side windows are flat, but the rear of the body has a nearly flat area where the window fits, and the flimsy plywood skin conforms to the shape of the window. The little side window is also bowed, leaving a half inch gap at it's center, so I'm simply making a little filler piece that'll get a piece of the 'glass skin glued to it. Won't be noticeable.

Brian

23. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Cool little project! Love these old campers. We've considered getting one someday.
    If you're ever out this way you've got to stay at the Shady Dell. Vintage trailers all furnished with period stuff, great times to be had. Our car club goes there once a year.

24. Greezeball

Greezeball

Ok now I feel really lazy. You do all that work and find time to write those articles, holy cow man! Good work.

25. Simple.

Simple.
    from Troy, MI

Project is coming along great! My wife even skims the pages for updates! Thanks for the aluminium sources. I'm going to start pricing out enough to reskin our scotty.

Jon

26. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I saw a real cool method of making your own siding on a home built trailer board.

All you need is the kind of plain aluminum used for making soffits etc. on siding jobs, and the siding brake.

Cut a piece of flat aluminum, use the brake to "crease" it every 3 inches. Fold a 1/2" on the top and bottom so you can hook them together.

This is basically how trailer siding was made in the fifties.

A web search may turn up the article. I saw it on the teardrops and tiny trailers web site.

27. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Sorry to hear about your accident! Hope you heal fast and with enough spirits it won't hurt a thing.
    I've got my eye on a 60s Mobile Scout, looks to about a 10ftr. Of course there is also the 47 Kit Kamper I've had for years which needs a total rebuild. Maybe the smaller trailer would be a good exercise before beginning the big one?

28. You would need a really long brake. Maybe you could make up a simple one for this purpose?

29. koolkemp

koolkemp

Holy shit Brian do you ever sleep!! I wanna build some type of camper so bad...but it wont be a trailor :D I love the tacky car/camper conversions and would love to try and build one some day,it would have to be chopped though or it wouldnt fit into my shop! Keep up the great work!!

30. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Everything I do usually do has some of my blood in it, blood and joint pain are part of the project. Great job, it keeps you from being a couch potato.