Register now to get rid of these ads!

An old picture and an old story

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unclmx, Feb 12, 2012.

1. unclmx

unclmx
    from Atlanta Ga

Thanks to those of you who welcomed me and thanks for your comments. I'm attaching a picture of myself and my car that was taken in the spring of 1969. I was in the Air Force and had this '62 Dodge Dart and I was drag racing the car every weekend at Walterboro SC. It was a 2 door post, an original max wedge car, but the original engine was gone when I got the car. I had a 66 Chrysler 440 in it and I had added 3 Holley 2 bbls to make it a "six pack" before there was such a thing. I didn't know much about cars but I sure loved them and I sure loved the drag racing. I put headers on it and a Crower cam, and a Mallory distributor. I had a man at a transmission shop build up the torqueflite trans. It was a pushbutton and when you pushed the button it would squak the tires. It had a 4.10 rear and I drove this car eery single day, everywhere I went. I had some slicks that I'd put in the trunk and go to the drag strip. I went by myself and drove the 50 miles to the strip, changed the tires, changed the plugs, went racing, reversed the process and drove home. I was racing in B/MP and I don't remember what time it ran, we raced with a flagman starter and the first one to the other end won. I was racing against guys who hauled their cars on trailers or with tow bars (I had a tow bar but no tow car). This pic was taken on a Sunday morning after I won a trophy and a check! The trophy was for the B/MP class win and the check was for modified eliminator win. It was for $5 and I never cashed it. It is framed and hangs in my basement. See the gas price sign in the background? Regular was 29.9 per gallon and $5 was a lot of money to me then. But I wanted to keep that check as a trophy and I did. I won some trophies after that and I won some checks too, but eventually I got out of the Air Force and quit drag racing. I was no mechanic and couldn't keep up with all the changes in racing and of course along came a wife and kids and the car was sold for about $800 as I recall. I really missed it for a long long time.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. Great story there my friend, and cool looking car. I remember racing my 55 chebby at Imporia Virginia on the old airport surface and a flagman starter. I guess you can tell by that I am an old fart too. I realy miss those days ...John

3. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

Sounds like you have two things going for you, your a hot rodder at heart, and you served your country! It doesnt get much better than that. Now all you need to do is clone that car!

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Max, that is a great photo and story. Glad you saved the check and the photo. Wonder where that car is now?

5. Shopking

Shopking
    from central Pa

Good info.It is neat you still have that check framed.And WELCOME to the H.A.M.B.

6. Igosplut

Igosplut

-Waay too much of a tease, you better post more pictures of that.

7. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Neat story and pic...more pics please...I'm waiting...

8. any more pics???

9. alanwoodieman

alanwoodieman

I was in Charleston in the Navy at that same time, drag racing a red 67 Camaro, but don't remember ever going to Walterboro, but I do remember high test gulf gas on the base was 19 cents a gallon, case (24 cans) of premium beer was four bucks!! Good times but too dumb to know that then

10. unclmx

unclmx
    from Atlanta Ga

soon as I can

11. unclmx

unclmx
    from Atlanta Ga

I'll post more pics as soon as I can

12. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

That's a priceless photo.... Look at that smile on your face! Good times!

13. rustang

rustang

Great story...thanks for sharing...
    Tom

14. unclmx

unclmx
    from Atlanta Ga

I added a couple of photos of the old car. I sold it in 1972 and found it in the woods in 1986. I tried to buy it back but the guy wouldn't sell it. I set out to find another one just like it and I did and I still have it today.

15. Oh man, you're bringing back memories! I had a '62 Dart in the 70's. I'm sure it wasn't as fast as your 440 but it was pretty darn fast. I had a 383 in mine. In about 1978 I blew the doors off some boy racer in his shiny new Porsche. He got so pissed that he pulled out a gun and shook it at me. Being crazy kids, we just flipped him the bird.

16. badshifter

badshifter

These are the posts that should be around more! Great story and contribution.