Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Useable parts on a '50 F1 rolling chassis?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scott F., Feb 3, 2012.

1. Scott F.

Scott F.

50 Ford F1 rolling chassis with 2 6 cylinder engines and one trans and a whole pile of sheet metal(can see some fenders, hood, maybe a bed, and a lot of other stuff), $800. Can I harvest all the hot rod parts and then sell the rails,suspension, engines and sheet metal and come out even? Thinking I would take the center crossmember, tranny(for the case), brakes, shock mounts maybe, steering column and box, what else?
    Would be harvesting these parts for an eventual model A hot rod build.
    Scott

2. rschilp

rschilp

The fenders, especially the front lowers are worth quite a bit of money because no-one remakes them in steel.

3. havi

havi

I'd take the remaining bare frame since mine is cracked, but shipping is out of the question. I think you got the hot rod stuff covered. And Rob is right, there's no metal repop parts.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I would completely disassemble what you have and sell each piece individually on ebay.

5. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

A few years ago I guy came into my shop to see if I'd be interested in some left over parts from his '48-50 truck. He saw my F-2 sitting outside my shop. I got two front fenders, rear fenders, box, running boards and a few other parts, paid $500, sold everything on eBay for $1600 in a week. The economy was better at the time but these weren't pristine parts, they were decent but had some rust issues.

The six cylinder engines are actually getting popular. I use to get them for free but there's been discussion on the FTE site about how hard they are to find. The frames don't sell to well. I just scrapped one I had for a couple of weeks. I advertised on CL and didn't get any takers.

I don't think $800 is too bad, you should be able to more than double your money if the sheet metal is any good. F-1 fenders in good shape are worth good bucks. If they're decent you should be able to get your $800 just for them.

Northern Classic Trucks sell new lower fenders

http://northernclassictrucks.com/4850LFF.htm

6. Spindles can be used on a 28-48 Ford passenger car axle with a little cleaning up and aftermarket steering arms.

Attached Files:

7. Scott F.

Scott F.

Is the gearing of the trans not favorable for a hot rod? But could swap some car gears into the case? Seems like truck would be geared lower for work.

Scott

8. Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  9. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

What I paid for the F-1 stuff I bought for my A-V8 project with shipping figured in:

F-1 trans crossmember $150
    F-1 Pedals and bracket $75
    F-1 front shock mounts $75-$100
    3sp Trans gearset can be swapped into a toploader for open drive conversion $150

Your more than half way to $800 right there. front fenders, the box, especially the rear fenders are worth a few bucks as no one makes steel replacements. You might not get rich off the thing but you will get some good parts to use for your project and maybe break even.

10. KROWN Kustoms

KROWN Kustoms

The disassembled frame rails have a nice straight seciton in them and front and real kick ups and tapers. Plan on shotrtening and boxing mine for my 27 modified build, oh and they are pinched as well. May work on your build, would look better than rectangle tubing imo.