Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

2. Depends on what fuel class. For Nostalgia Top Fuel, they only became required around 2006. when I had my car built in 2000, they were not required so, did not get them. With the better parts avail today, you do not have that problem as in the 60s. I have never heard of a N AA/FD breaking a 40 spline axle. Still, I was required to 'upgrade' at a cost of about $2,400.
    I still have that nice pair of 40 spline axles and related parts ( non floating ), almost new, for use on a digger.

3. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

[​IMG]

Jay Miner was from Colonie,NY right outside Albany.
    Partner was Fred Traegler.
    Ran a lot at South Glens Falls Dragway.
    Pfeiffers was the biggest speed shop around here back then.
    My friend had a local speed shop and I used to make weekly runs to Pfeiffers because he was a WD also.
    Picked up a lot of parts from Bill Pfeiffer.
    I and a couple of friends ran my friends satelite speed shop in Glens Falls.
    What fun times untill the sheriff shut us down.
    My buddy was not paying the bills,we were too interested in the 3(ok 4) big things of the 60's and 70's.
    On the rear 1/4 of Jay's car is Dons Porting Service.
    Don did all my machine work on my 9500rpm 287's.
    On some of his earlier cars Jay had South Glens Falls Dragway lettering,he was tight with the operators.
    Here is a pic of one of Jays early cars at a South Glens Falls SS/FX meet.
    Was original aluminum nose 4 speed car,that if I remember right he converted to a '65 AWB,The Trip.

[​IMG]

4. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

Thank You Ivory Hunter for the picture of the Beach Cities Corvette. I was at OCIR the night it blew the motor and caught fire. It went off the track at the big end. Doubt the driver could see where he was going but the car somehow managed to drive (on fire big time) right between the two concrete poles that held up the OCIR sign alongside the freeway. The car landed on the freeway and proceeded to burn the the ground. Dragnews published a great picture of the burned out hulk sitting on the freeway and a CHP writing a ticket to the driver. Never did find out if it was staged or real. For all we know the CHP could have just been writing an incident report. The caption said the driver got a ticket for driving an unregistered vehicle and littering the freeway. Anyone know the real story on that one?

5. Ivory Hunter

Ivory Hunter
    from Texas

I think it was pat foster that drove the beach city corvette off on to the freeway. Great story thanks for shareing.

6. 85-percent

85-percent

Beach City Corvette might have had Gary Gabelich driving when it burned on the freeway?

-90% Jimmy

7. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Urban legend......

8. WCD

WCD

Hey Bucksnort

Do you the info on how and why Minor grafted two different era Cuda bodies together? Minor was a ECFFC member no?

9. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Some pics from my scrapbook:
    Jay Miner first time out with AWB at SGF 1966

[​IMG]

1968 as the "TRIP"
    Got the South Glens Falls on rear 1/4

Jay did run with the ECFCC along with local boys Bowen and Kopper.Ed Kopper went on to be Bob Newberrys crew chief .
    Will have to find a pic of that Mustang.
    Don't know the deal with the morphed cudas,guess he was using what he could get his hands on.

Apologize for blurry pics,when I download to NERO they are big and clear.When I put them on Photobucket and enlarge they get blurry.Pisses me off.I am not too handy with computer crap.

[​IMG]

10. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Found the pic of Bowen and Koppers F/C

[​IMG]

11. WCD

WCD

Bucksnort

Was Bill Lerner's Paper Boy Mustang part of the ECFFC circuit? He venuterd out west once in the winter of 1971 to race a couple of alky inj events at Irwindale. He was from Mass.

12. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Yes he was.
    Think he ran a SOHC.

Speaking of Irwindale,rumor has it closing?

On another note,I saw a pic of another semi local boy that ran South Glens Falls,at the now running Winternationals.
    Has a 1964 Plymouth A/SA-John Shaul.

13. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

The Irwindale oval track and 1/8th mile strip will announce tomorrow that it's closing. The track opened in 1999 or so and never kept the stands filled. After about the 2002 season the fans started to dwindle. There was some confusion over rules and some oval track racers just gave up. The track just can't pay it's overhead anymore.
    Too bad, but not a shock. People just do not support racing like they did in the 60's.
    Gone are Ascot, Ontario Motor Speedway, Riverside and a half dozen drag strips.
    It won't surprise me when the Fontana Speedway folds up, too.
    It wasn't noise complaints that closed Irwindale, it was the lack of people buying tickets.
    So it goes.................
    So, the Mooneyes Xmas Party might be in danger too..........
    We'll know more tomorrow.

14. BSL409

BSL409

Ware was the Track at? and the name and when did it Close?
    Thanks,

15. WCD

WCD

I think you hit it on the head-motor sports racing in all its guises doesnt hold the appeal it once did. There needs to be a major re-marketing in order to garner the interest of new fans. The subject is deserving of its own sub-category here on the HAMB, so for brevity sake I will let it go at that.

16. willwilly

willwilly

17. willwilly

willwilly

Rick, would love to know more about this picture. We are looking for information about the Devin. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=670690 I am about to start on this project and that may be our Devin!

Willwilly

18. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Yea it's another sad day in So Cal. Had a grudge race set up with a buddy of my son for next Thursday. Gonna miss that place.

19. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Indeed, a sad announcement for our local dragstrip. Most of us that attended regular Thursday evening races knew that the money made from all the people we saw was going to pay the racers purses over on the oval. The track could support a full time drag racing venue. Lets all just say some prayers, because all its going to do is to dump alot of kids back to street racing....

20. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Ware was the Track at? and the name and when did it Close?
    Thanks,

South Glens Falls Dragway was 45-50 miles north of Albany.
    Exit 17 north off Interstate 87-the Northway. 1 mile.

It was closed by the state in 1977 when PCBs were discovered in the pit area.<!-- / message -->

21. BSL409

BSL409

:mad:

Thanks,

22. WCD

WCD

Note how simply mounting an Austin shell atop a dragster frame creates a really cool looking drag car. I was disapointed when in 1971 the NHRA eliminated the class outright.

23. R W Ohio

R W Ohio
    from Ohio

Quaker City Salem Ohio

A Dan Roney photo

Attached Files:

24. Jim...

Attached Files:

25. rick finch

rick finch

26. WCD

WCD

Ray Alley's shot with JJ in the other lane served as his 2nd consecutive final round appearance. In '68 he got runner up in super elim ( a sportsman class relegated to niro and/or supercharged sportsman cars) to the Galli Bros A/FD and then to JJ in 69. Alley was a very congenial guy to the fans and very smart.

27. carman59

carman59

I love old drag cars, I am currently trying to build model of Emergency West, does anybody remember it?

28. What a cool shot. Gotta' love those flag starters!!