Register now to get rid of these ads!

So much for retirement, new Albuquerque shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalman, Feb 10, 2012.

1. metalman

metalman

I retired almost 4 years ago from building hot rods and customs for 30+ years. I kept a shop, just turned it into a hobby shop for me and a couple buddies. My step son started coming in and helping me on my stuff and really started to get into old cars. Decided he would like to build hot rods for a living. The good part he seems to have a lot of natual talent at fab work. He's talked me into coming out of retirement and opening a new shop. We spent the last few months getting our projects done, painting and sprucing up the old shop building and buying some new equiptment. Finally open for buisness, plan is for me to teach him all I can for 5 or so years then he can take over and run it, I'll retire again:D!
    Short notice I know but we're having an open house tommorrow, feb 11th from 10 to 4. The shop is at 5312 Coal Ave SE (2 blocks south of Central, 1/2 block east of San Mateo) here in Albuquerque. I'd like to invite any HAMBers in the area to stop in, check it out and grab some free grub. Of course your welcome to stop by anytime, just don't expect free food after tommorrow!
    shop_017.JPG

shop_018.JPG

shop_007.JPG

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Awesome!!! Glad to see you're passing the torch!! It's nice to see more of these shops open up instead of closing down. Looks like a great shop!

3. Best of luck with your new enterprise! Good to see the young-uns showing interest in
    vintage tin....

4. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Best of luck to you and your step-son. My brother lives in Albuquerque, so the next time we visit him I'll try to stop by your place to see what's going on...

5. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

when hot rods are in your blood it is hard to stay away good luck with your new shop have a beer for me

6. shades34

shades34

That's a great looking start, or restart, I wish you years of success!

7. rick finch

rick finch

Best wishes on your new "retirement"...:D

8. Congratulations!

Bit too far for me to drive, but best of luck to you guys. ABQ is a tough place to operate in.

9. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

Congratulations, and I wish you all the success! I hope to visit your shop soon!

10. jerseymike

jerseymike

great for you! you get to build hot rods and spend time with your son, perfect. shop looks good already. good luck and enjoy unretirement!

11. metalman

metalman

Yeah, Albuquerque is a tough market! Least after 30 year I kinda have a handle on how to work it.

12. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Cool shop . Good luck to you guys !

13. pastlane

pastlane

Retirement is over rated. Best of luck with the shop!

14. thewildturkey46

thewildturkey46
    from Rice, MN

Congrats on the new shop and new venture. Best of luck to you and step son. If I get thru Albq this summer I will stop and say Hi. Wish I was closer, I'd be there for the open house. I wish you the best!!! Dale

15. metalman

metalman

Dale, If you get thru Albuquerque anytime you better stop in and say Hi! What has it been, 30 years?:eek: It would be great to see ya.

16. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

what a cool story , and great to pass the torch , good luck on the venture

17. looks like you have several interesting projects in there already. good luck!

18. Awesome! Good luck with your new shop!

19. cederholm

cederholm

Great looking shop! Best of luck.

20. CreatingCustoms

CreatingCustoms

21. Shopking

Shopking
    from central Pa

Good luck with your new enterprise.A good looking operation.

22. dmw56

dmw56

Terry, Thanks for the invite to you open house. Shop looks great. Good luck on your unretirement!

Here's some pictures I took today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Sweet! Congrats (I think?) you know what I mean....

Me and the kids will be headed back to Abq after school let's out so the new baby (18mo) can meet her grandma who can't travel....I'll be sure to save this and stop by.

24. metalman

metalman

Thanks for stopping by Don and posting the pics. Sorry it was so busy we couldn't chat more but feel free stop stop by anytime. Next time you'll have to drive the 34!;)
    Cory, you better stop in when your in town. I was thinking about you guys Thursday as I was looking at your Dad's old 57 wagon, kinda wishing the guy would sell it to me. Still looks just the same.

25. Jeff J

Jeff J

Will be coming threw the area in June (Father's Day ) for the LARS run with a bunch of "The Gray Beards " We'll have to make it a point to stop in !!!!!!

26. onedge

onedge

Sounds great and best of luck!

27. My old neighborhood. I had a house across the street from Quincy Elementary School some 30 years ago. Next time I pass through I'll stop and buy you lunch.

28. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

What is the name of the shop? Congrats

29. moefuzz

moefuzz

Good Luck
    ! with the new shop and glad to hear that people are still 'Apprenticing' the nations sons and daughters...

...One thing that often gets overlooked though is the 'business sense' part of the training/program.
    In my humble opinion, 'Business Management' and/or Basic Accounting' are an integral part of any 'apprenticeship'.
    -Sending your apprentice to school once a year (for the next five? years) will only help to insure both success for you as well as for the youngster. (-right from the partnership's start-up, through to the growing years).

[​IMG][​IMG]

30. finishline

finishline

best of luck to you and your step son....