Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford flathead v8 gurus. I have a question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MIKE47, Feb 10, 2012.

1. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

I have a 1953 f1 pickup with the huge center oil sump. It is gonna give me a crossmember clearance issue. Can I go to a rear sump passenger car pan and sump without any other issues?

2. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

Why not use a 48-52 pickup pan? It's in the rear, and has a nice cleanout. As long as you use a matching pan and screen/inlet tube, the engine won't know the difference.

3. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

No "guru"

But I believe the pan you describe is a car pan …. Truck pans iv seen are rear and yes all interchange.

4. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

Cool. I guess I have it backwards. I am far from a flathead guy. I know the basics but I don't work on them often nor can I remember the details. Funny enough I did own one once for a short time. It was a '49 f1. But it ran so I never wrenched on it much or committed it to memory but I now recall having it out and having the wood block under the front of the pan and it nearly rolling onto my foot.

You guys are great. Thanks for the quick responses. :)

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Also there are two styles of rear sump pan...truck and commercial '48-52 and mercury 1949-51. For early Fords, I think either will work, but for about '35-up the slightly different contours apparently matter because of draglink. Can't be more specific as everything I work on is '32 or my '48 I once had a late engine in the '48 with pickup pan and no problems there. "35-40 or so have some pretty tight areas u there.

6. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

Thanks for more info Bruce. This is why I am member of the Bruce Lancaster Fan Club!!!

Clearance is an issue due to the installing of the Mustang 2 front end/crossmember. I scored a pan to try on. I'll see how it goes on monday.

7. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Yes........I had a '50 Merc engine in my '32 and the pan did have a baffle with a round edge that fit where the big round oil pickup sat......and there is no cleanout on the car pan......only on the truck pan as far as I know....

CB

8. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I need a nice 8BA center sump with rear drain plug, if thats what you have Pm me I would be interested in it.

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Merc pan uses a special pickup with a welded on shield that fills the hole in the windage tray that allows the pan to go over the pump at assembly time...really slick. Truck pans come with and without cleanout, probably a big truck vs pickup thing, and passenger pans with cleanouts apparently exist at least '46-53! Apparently the cleanout was for taxis and police cars that got lots of low speed and idling use. Whyinhell didn't they just reintroduce the wartime PCV for those??
    From memory, as I'm still a bit too sick to go dig in the iron library for documented answer, Merc and truck are very similar in shape but I think truck is closest to early Ford '35-48 shape.

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The bump in the pan to clear the oil pump is longer in the Merc pan. I think the Merc pan is the only 49-53 pan that will clear the big "double hump" high volume Melling pump. Bruce will know for sure.

11. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

I have a "bitsa" engine in my truck, bitsa this, bitsa that... It's a Car engine (8BA), in a '52 F-1, with what I believe is a Merc pan. No clearance issues. I'm not sure if the pickup is Car or Truck, but I'll tell you it's a bitch getting the pan on with that baffle (doing it with the engine in the truck).

Attached Files:

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Thassa a Merc baffle there! Right pickup has a round plate welded to the tube that exactly fills the hole, making installation seriously fun!