Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stromberg 48s for WC245 manifold

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Last Hoorah, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Last Hoorah

Last Hoorah

Bought a Weiand WC245 4x2 manifold for my 331 Hemi, came with rebuilt stromberg 48 carbs, have 1 1/32 on side of carb. The guy I bought them off of told me the rebuilder of the carbs died, so I can't ask him about the carbs so maybe someone can help me with what the tags on the carbs mean, and if I could use them on the manifold as they are W/straight linkage. Here goes!
    Carbs are numbered.
    #1 jet .048 P.V.68=.031
    #2 jet .048 P.V.68=.031
    #3 jet .044 P.V.65=.035
    #4 jet .044 P.V.65=.035

2. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

As far as I remember off the top of my head this intake requires all carbs to be the same, and requires straight linkage because it is not an open plenum intake.

Not sure what the last # in the series is, but a good starting point for the jets an PV would be .045 jets, and 65 PV.

There is alot of info on setting these Weiand 4x2 intakes up in a popular Hemi tech/engine building book. (might be called the guide to building early CHrysler Hemis.

Rob

3. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Also my 354 has 4x2 setup on a Crager manifold with 97's. These have a smaller venturi so they flow a little less. Ive got .041 jets straight linkage. It idles rich but runs out great.

4. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

I'm of little help because I'm not to that stage of my build yet, but Rob's right, there is a complete discussion on setting up this manifold with Strombergs in Tex Smith's - The Complete Chrysler Hemi Engine Manual (book), by Ron Ceridono.

5. Yep, The intake doesn't cross distribute well and should be setup with a straight linkage. Skip Readio wrote an article on setting that intake up with Strombergs in the book Rob referred to. Very detailed.

That said, I made an open plenum box that went between my WC-245 and Stromberg 97's. Then I setup a dual progressive setup. #3 opened first followed by # 2 and then #1 & #4 opened up together. They had different rates so that they were all open at the same time. Worked great. I'd get 22mpg on the highway (w/overdrive) and ran a best of 13.21 @ 102.3 in the quarter in my 3200# coupe. Here's a pic of the setup right before I sold it to pay for the Hilborn 4 port I put on my digger. Wish I could have kept it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Oh yeah, the jetting. I did a lot of tinkering using an oxygen sensor and a Westach analog air/fuel gauge. Starting with # 3 I'd solder up the jets and then redrill with a numbered drill set till I hit the mixture I liked. I worked my way through the carbs like that, setting them richer through the progressive steps. Folks told me that setting the 97's up was a pain butt but it really isn't that hard.

7. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

The 048 jets are correct and the all PVs are not, should be .63. I like using jet adjusters, it makes it easy. You don't have to keep swaping jets..I would install .050 and adjust from there..
    It is not hard, just take your time..
    Duane

8. Last Hoorah

Last Hoorah

As far as a plenum box, looks like a great setup. But it s is a little out of my grasp. So I guess I'll do jet and PV route. Thanks to all that responded