Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage trailer... What's it worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by marman1950, Feb 9, 2012.

1. marman1950

marman1950

I'm looking for a trailer to pull behind my 56 f100. You know, for swap meets and stuff. I found this one in the desert. It appears very solid. Anybody out there know what is a fair offer or if this trailer is worth my time. I'm not positive of the make/model. I drive by it at work and have always wanted to make an offer to the owner.

Attached Files:

2. Willy301

Willy301

I would climb under it and check the sub structure, and get a look inside....if it is, in fact, for sale. Base your offer on your need vs. condition of the trailer. If the tires are bad, look for rotted floors, might be a rat/mouse haven inside.... Just some thoughts as I am not completely familiar with common issues caused by desert environment. I would also check it for snakes! If it is fairly clean on the inside, you don't find spongy floors, and the tires are decent, I would say 600-800 would probably be a fair offer, but doesn't mean you can't offer less.

Then get on with the rustoleum restoration, and some spray on rubber for the roof to seal it up nice!

3. Molonewolf

Molonewolf

Looks like what I'm looking for, let us know how it turns out .

4. marman1950

marman1950

Yeah... That's about what I was thinking. I was going to offer 400 but like you said, I haven't looked at it in detail. I know certain trailers are worth more such as Shasta and airstream but I am by know means an expert.

5. flatford39

flatford39

There is a Shasta Vintage trailer forum that is very informative. Google it. That one is not Shasta but the people there are very friendly and have a SOB (some other brand) category that may be able to identify it. Not sure what it is or what you want to do with it but most of the older canned hams like didn't have showers or actual toilets. If you need them then you are looking at a major modification to incorporate into a vintage trailer. Most of these no matter where they are located leak and will have wooden structural damage. Not a big deal for us car guys to correct but a little more difficultfor people that don't have the tools etc. etc. Based on your pictures I would think it needs a total resto and I wouldn't pay more than $300.00 for it and it better have a title. You do need to license these pups.

6. marman1950

marman1950

What I was really planning on doing is making it structurally sound and leak free, paint, and then make it into a mobile bar for car shows, swap meets, etc... No need for a bathroom. I'm not to concerned about the brand since it's not a restoration. I hope it has a title... If not then it won't be worth my time.

7. screwball

screwball

I have four vintage trailers now back to 50s only paid $250.00 for one the rest were free for the taking. Theres a vintage trailer social group on the hamb as well

8. kustomsrule

kustomsrule
    from L A

If the tires are good and it's solid, it'll bring $1,200 to $2,000 on ebay. Is that sign over the front window the manufacturer's name? I can't make it out.

9. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

I have been looking for somthing like that...

10. marman1950

marman1950

I think it says corvelle. I'm not sure though. I see it almost every time I go home from work. It seems to be very cherry but much like old cars looks can be deceiving. Trailers like this are all over the California high desert and are well preserved in the dry desert air.

11. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

The dry desert air dries out the wood, almost impossible to check for wood rot in the inner structure. If you can tow it, DO IT! If the sides bow out, be concerned!
    My "Tin Toaster" looked like it had slide outs going down the freeway at 65!
    It was free.......we had a GREAT time with it.......then turned it into a light duty trailer, kind of a sorry end.

12. Jim

Jim

Thats a Corvette trailer. I have a 58 one and I would bet that it probably would not be very cheap. Vintage trailers are pretty popular now, but if you do get it and are going to gut it I want first dibs on buying the interior!!

Here is mine:

Attached Files:

13. marman1950

marman1950

Jim... Any idea if it's a desirable trailer?

14. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The vast majority of those trailers are stick built minimalist structure with the paneling and outer skin keeping everything together. See the recent deconstruction of one on a recent thead here by Flyinbrian. A most helpful and eye-opening look at the "standard" construction features of most camp trailers from 8-30 footers.

Offer the guy a couple hundred bucks if he asks YOU to price HIS stuff..."make me an offer".
    Be sure to get a title if required in your state or at least a very detailed Bill of Sale with serial number, make etc.

15. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Check out the Vintage Trailer sub-group on the HAMB, and Tin Can Tourist on the web. tons of info & sources.

16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Inspect it inside and out. If it is perfectly original and intact, with no missing parts, no butchery, no sign of water stains inside $500 - $1000 tops.

Missing parts, water stains etc bring it down to $100 - $500.

The best info on restoring canned ham trailers are Youtube videos by a guy named Larry. Search on Youtube for Mobiltec trailer videos and watch as he restores a 1958 Deville from scratch and fixes a Shasta that somebody else did wrong.

17. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

Those are worth something? WOW, people try to give them away here, not very valuable to scrappers cause they gotta strip it before a salvage yard will take it... Lots sitting around here...

18. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Go to any mobile home park and ask if they have any trailers that they don't want.

Many have abandoned ones and they will be happy to give you them.

Check Charigs List, I have seen many in there for free!

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd be checking the wood inside real close on that one. Especially around the corners and up front.
    Got a bigger one for 50.00 because so much of the inside was rotted out. It's intended to be a flatbed trailer when it gets done being a storage shed with wheels.

Around here the Shasta trailers don't have a great reputation as they are prone to leaking. They especially leak behind the little wings that Shasta put on them.

I spotted a little canned Ham trailer the other day that I am going back to check on in a week or two but it's probably someone's "huntin" trailer.

20. texas rattler

texas rattler
    from texas

if i wanted it it would be super rare and cost thousands but if i was selling it it would not be worth sh%t

21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The little ones are worth money in good shape, the big ones are worth practically nothing. Because guys are buying the little ones to fix up.

Around here junkyards won't even take a trailer for nothing because there is too much wood and insulation, too little metal, and it is too hard to separate the metal from the garbage, and then you have to dispose of the garbage.

22. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

What it'll bring on ebay, and what it's really worth, are two entirely different things. Check out my thread, "Canned Hamb project", here, and see what you're in for. I paid $100 bucks for mine, sold the Panel-Ray heater for $275 and STILL had too much in it!

Brian

23. Molonewolf

Molonewolf

I found one yesterday gave 200.00, should work good behind my 57 panel.
    It's a 67 Frolic.

Attached Files:

24. N2hotrods

N2hotrods

I paid $ 800. dollars for a 16 foot 1969 Ideal trailer in decent shape.