Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Blacked out customs? yay or nay?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EvilOlds88, Feb 11, 2012.

1. EvilOlds88

EvilOlds88

So I've been doing a little research as on what route to take with the Olds. I got a lot of parts for it already; flat black paint, 3" white walls, red steelies and full length side pipes (with home made flame thrower kit :D). My biggest problem right now is the chrome on my car which is not in the greatest of shape... and... it has alot of it. I am half tempted since the car is going flat black to do everything that's chrome in a high gloss black, as mirror finish as I can get... but I'm not sure if that would look right. I'm a young punk pinching pennies here and want to do this right, just don't got the money for chrome plating... Any of yall have a blacked out rod or custom you want to share pictures of?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  2. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

You won't like it.

Take your chrome off and polish it up the best you can.
    Shoot your car with satin, not flat and put your chrome
    back on, you'll be happy.

3. Yep ,I agree with ArtGeco.....

4. skyrodder

skyrodder

5. No no no no...............

6. Original57

Original57

I agree with Artgeco. Polish that chrome as best you can and leave it.

Don't, I repeat don't, paint it!!! :D

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  7. 53Hattie

53Hattie

Nope, don'dooeet! For the time being, OOOO steel wool, chrome polish, & elbow grease! ...and live with it, 'til you can afford to replace or renew!

8. jerseymike

jerseymike

don't think it's a good idea either. never looks right. we all know chrome has become way to expensive but paint ain't the answer. why not shave all or most of the trim off the car? gives it a smooth custom look and then you can sell it and make some money back. fully understand the young and broke thing, and glad your thinking about it before you jump right in but think you would regret painting them. good luck.

9. and paint the wheels any color but red...

10. badshifter

badshifter

Better to roll with old chrome as a work in progress. Painting it will look just like what it is, the cheap way out. In general you can build a cheap hot rod, but a custom done right requires cash.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NO, The gent who bought my old 51 Merc did a fantastic job on the car and spent a ton of money on it. But he is one of the "modern rodders" and decided that he likes the painted bumpers better than chrome bumpers. YOU decide.
    [​IMG]
    The body work is flawless as he and his dad put a ton of hours in it getting it perfect. The car runs a 455 Olds and stretched 75 Monte Carlo Chassis and can eat up the road.

12. metalix_421

metalix_421

please do not paint it. polish it. not sure what kind of shape yours is in but I spent about 20 minutes on this. its amazing what is hiding under the rust and dirt.

Attached Files:

13. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Please for the sake of the Kustom gods do not paint chrome. It looks like absolute shit when done on any Kustom . Do a satin paint or even suede. Go with chrome reverse wheels, and wide whites, that would pop against the black background. Painting it all black including the chrome would not break the car up it would look like a blob going down the road.i love chrome big time I could be called a chromeasexual

14. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I just finished a 60 T-Bird mild custom in November and polished the stainless and chrome, looks great unless you are right on top of it then you can see the checking and small scratches in the bumpers. I personally don't like the painted chrome, a custom needs some falsh.

15. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I dont think you understand the term "custom" by what you are describing.

16. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

A bit against the grain here, but if your bumpers are not real good, I say paint them. You can always have them re chromed later.
    Personally I have no problems with black chrome on some cars.
    I blacked out all the chrome, including the side chrome on my '63 Biscayne and I like it a lot. I wanted a very simple "Plain Jane" look.
    Also receive many compliments on it......(and yes, on this forum too) :eek:
    Good luck, and post some pictures of what you wind up doing !!
    Cheers..

Attached Files:

17. Special Ed

Special Ed

Exactly. Thank you for saying precisely what I was thinking.... :)

18. Gator

Gator

Amen, brother.

Just say NO to painted bumpers...;)

19. I really hope this is a joke. If it isn't I think you should try to get on KillBillet.com. I am going to have to say nay on pretty much everything above. No flamethrowers, no red wheels, no flat black, and for the sake of picking up chicks NO PAINTED CHROME! You would be surprised what polishing can do. I had an old P.O.S. Crown Vic. that had rusty bumpers. You would be surprised what a little elbow grease can do.

The "Fuck You '54" never had chrome bumpers and look at all the attention it gets...
    [​IMG]

20. I have gone both ways with the painted chrome look. Gloss on a flat car and flat on a go=lossy car. It is a matter of personal taste.

these days I would prefer to run chrom bumpers etc, but my next ride won't have chrome bumpers to start with. it is a money thing for me right now. I am not building a custom so that may have some bearing on my opinion for your decision. Obviously chrome is more traditional but if the chrome is shot painted always looks better in my opinion.

21. mlagusis

mlagusis

Do you have pictures of your car? Post them and you will get good advice on what would look good

22. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

NAY! Do your car up right, make it glossy, paint the wheels black or get full wheel covers. Get a good stance on it, and polish out the chrome best you can.

23. I think it is a majority rule in here! On a modern car satin black and gloss black accents can be pulled off....but not on vintage iron. It will just look like your just taking the easy way out. and please....no red wheels! Or you will look like a sheep among the crowd.

24. In the eighties, monochromatic paint themes seemed to be the order of the day for street rods. Any old gearhead can relate to being young with no money.Your chrome may be worn but anyone who really appreciates this hobby/obsession knows where your at. As others have said, do the best you can with what you`ve got.

25. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I'm with these guys.
    Paul

26. Let's see pics of the car.

27. I would say that generally, a car with painted bumpers looks like some hillbilly wannabe but there are a few around that can pull it off. If your bumpers/grille etc. are really too bad to buff up, you might consider some chrome powder coating. It looks more like polished aluminum but cheaper than chrome and better looking than bumpers painted with a monochrome color or black. I understand the pinching pennies deal, but painted bumpers just screams cheap ass. Its just sad that chrome has become so expensive that a lot of us can no longer afford it anymore.

28. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

What 56Don said. My powder coater does a chrome powder that will pass for old chrome from 10 ft away. And if you buff it, it gets better.

Just the thing for pitted diecast. For that he coats it in black for me, I block it out, repeat if needed, and then chrome powder over the black.

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

well... a bunch of your "chrome" is stainless steel, so get a buffer and polish it.

as for the bumpers, just clean them up as good as you can and search for a better pair. you could eventually find a nice pair with good chrome for much less than plating your old ones. same with the other parts.

[​IMG]

30. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Polishing your stuff as best you can or painting it is definitely a matter of personal taste... Painting it just happens to be bad personal taste. :)