Register now to get rid of these ads!

SM420/465 Ranger overdrive?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bodi, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Does anyone have any experience with the Ranger overdrive for the SM420/465 transmission?

http://www.high-impact.net/transmission_and_gear/rangeroverdrive.htm

I have a 1964 C10 with a 292 I6, and the SM420 4 speed box. I am interested in doing this upgrade to make it more friendly for long distance trips, and possibly even some long distance towing.

I don't need to hear about the T5 or T56 swap> I understand that this is the more popular route, it just doesn't interest me as much as this overdrive unit does. I like the SM420 unit, and am not very interested in swapping in the newer trans.

If you have used the Ranger unit please let me know your thoughts on it. Any breakages, problems, or gripes? I don't mind the separate shifter, or moving the trans back. Crossmember problems, and shifter location are things that would have to be addressed with the T5/56 swap anyways.

Thanks!

2. Swifster

Swifster

Just as an option, Gear Vendors also sells overdrives for that transmission. The GV unit fits at the back like most OD's.

3. drag_punk

drag_punk

That thing looks pretty sweet!

4. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

It looks like a sweet piece in their literature. Have you priced it? One advantage it would over a Borg-Warner (or any other O.D.)is that it is never subjected to any thing more than engine torque. Every other unit that is positioned behind the transmission has to handle the multiplied torque of the lower transmission gears. That's one of the reasons to not beat on a B-W in lower gears.

5. Dale,
    You are correct. That is the major advantage over the Gear Vendors unit. They say that this Ranger unit will handle over 400lbft without any problems. Also, this unit is far cheaper. I usually see them advertised for around $1200, but, have seen them on occasion under $1000. That alone beats the heck out of the Gear Vendors unit. I also enjoy the fact that it has the separate manual shifter. I realize it is antiquated, but, I enjoy that old gadgety stuff. I had a Saturn unit in my Willys Jeep, and I really liked driving that thing.

6. moefuzz

moefuzz

This is an intriguing alternative to the standard gear vendors rear mounted stuff.

Thanks for the link.

7. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

One thing you didn't mention was using a NV4500.This also has overdrive and has as much or more strength as the 420 or 465.

8. I figured it was easily understood to be part of my statement of "I don't care to know about the T5, or T56 swaps, everyone does them, and it is of no interest to me". My only interest is in the separate overdrive unit, and people's experiences with them. I'm aware of the modern overdrive transmissions out there, I just don't care to use one for this situation.;)

9. Truckedup

Truckedup

The Ranger appeals to 4x4 guys,you might find some guys using them on off road forums. Pirate 4x4 website might be good....

10. squirrel

squirrel

Neat unit. Parking brake stuff will be in the way on your 64. Looks like a neat thing to add to my 57 one ton with the SM420.....to tame the 3.73 gears even more. I guess it should hold up to a stock 454?