Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Okay, you're rich and you like cars...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tfeverfred, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Anybody that hasn't seen the collection..go see it, you owe it to yourself.

2. storm king

storm king

What a great American success story, and what an illustration of how anyone can become wjatever they want to be in this land of opportunity. Gentleman, if you can do this by becoming a garbage man, you can do anything.
    What a great American...

3. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Powerball is up to well over $300M for Saturday's drawing.

I keep forgetting to buy tickets, though. :eek:

4. robertsregal

robertsregal

Very cool and looks like a great collection of american vehicles,WOW

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Wow
    Uuumm Im speachless..I have to go see this before I die..un believable collection

6. Man, that's a great thing.

Nice to see that an individual, a man from a working class background, would have the insight and passion to do this.

I'm sure the people carrying on his dream are working really hard to do the collection justice.

7. OK! I'm there next time I'm in WA.

8. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This guy new his stuff,very un-assuming,he could tell you the details of every car he had. Harold was a very down to earth man. My Dad and our buddy Marshall Vellerio would get a whole block of spaces for him and us every year at Hershey. We did this from about 1978 up until the year he died. Him and his wife would show up with a huge Winny and his semi car hauler. Just about every year we would find a couple cars he wanted and have them there waiting for him. We always had a great time,nuthin gold chain,just down home car guys. I still miss and think about him,Marshall,and my Dad every year at meet. If you ever get to see his cars,look for his offbeat `32 highboy with a jet engine in it from the early `60s. I feel blessed to have called him a freind.

9. 31Apickup

31Apickup

When you go to see the collection, it is only with a guide. There is a cool turbine engine 32 Roadster, along with the Happy Days Desoto in the collection.

10. Plung

Plung
    from San Diego

11. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

The story goes, this is the roadster that was once owned by Preston Tuckers kid. at one time it ended up in the hands of a Boeing engineer, who installed a helicopter turbine engine it. 1 speed, Forward, with no reverse. I saw (heard) it pull into the old "All Ford Picnic" when it was at Husky Stadium back in the 80's. It really sounded like a Phantom jet taxiing into the parking lot. They had to push it back into a spot. I hope it's got a prominent spot at the museum.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  12. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

I'm sure the museum will be world class, but I'll miss the casual show he had every year at his home, and at his Military academy. At his home there were buildings everywhere, all stuffed. One would be the brass era building. another the small car building. Then the Duesenburg / Auburn / Rolls Royce building. The Ford building had them lined up year by year from the teens to the forties upstairs, and continued downstairs into the fifties.There was the weird stuff room that had the Playboy Bunny coach, a square bird custom with a windshield made from a late 70's Camaro back glass, and even the G.M. concept car, the Banshee. Upstairs in one building was Peter Lawfords Ghia sports car that Frank Sinatra had made for each of his Rat Pack.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    At the academy the gymnasium was the G.M. room. Imagine every hi-po production car from the 40's-50's and 60's, mirror to mirror, bumper to bumper. With a bunch of oddities thrown in. In the shower stall, a big pink tiled room, he had a pink and white Clipper. The administration building was filled with many small cars. Isetta's, Messerschmidts, 3 wheelers. Down the hall was his motorcycle room. The only place I've ever seen a wankel engine powered bike. And to shuttle you from his house to the academy (maybe 10 miles apart) was a few old London double decker buses.

13. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I have the pleasure of having it in my back yard

14. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Hey Dude, which car is in your back yard?

15. Sounds like all of them!

16. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

The Museum and all of um

17. veedolpaul

veedolpaul

I was walking back too my camper one year at Hershey and slowed to talk with an old white bearded gentleman who turned out to br Mr. Lemay. A very cool guy with an amazing eye and great love of all things automobile. Very humble and very well know to the Hershey croud.

18. pair of deuces

pair of deuces
    from western WA

The new museum, showcasing some 300 cars, will open June 2, 2012. The LeMay Family Collection will continue their own exhibits - Marymount is open daily, with 400+ cars on display, and the family home, with another 300, is open one day a year in August for their annual open house. The 3 locations combined are a gearheads dream.

In full disclosure I am a museum employee. Its tough duty, but someone has to do it....

19. Sauli

Sauli

Wow, Nice!!! By the news footage, looks like not only an amazingly large, but pretty diverse collection even for a museum, that he put together in his lifetime!

20. SvenOla

SvenOla
    from Sweden

Wow , that's a BIG back yard . :D