Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford COE, great hauler

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chev537, Feb 7, 2012.

1. chev537

chev537

Found this early 50's Ford COE, anyone ever seen one with utility box like this on the back? Would make a great hauler. Have the owners contact information, supposed to be for sale, have no idea whats he's asking for it. This is the only picture I have of it.

2. chev537

chev537

sorry, here's the pic

3. chev537

chev537

hope this works

Attached Files:

4. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

That's pretty cool. There is a early 50's gmc COE here with a stubby utility box on it here for 1200.00 It is in similar shape, but way shorter. With the cost of iron that would be a fair price.

5. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Looks like somebody tried to Camper it.
    Truly a bitchen find. Good luck.

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I can see that easily as a Motor Home conversion with a trick trailer and racecar behind it.

7. gas pumper

gas pumper

Power company line maintenance truck. The backward scoop on the cab is a window so the driver could see up while backing into position near a pole. Telephone co. trucks were generally small. Power co. trucks big.

Very cool truck.

8. chev537

chev537

Thanks for the info.. it also has a large roof rack setup, so that all makes sense. It's actually pretty solid, very little rust other than the surface of it....in the forest where it is stored, the owner crushed over 1000 cars and still has about 200 left....I manged to get pictures of most of it

9. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

WOW! That thing is bad ass!!! That would make a cool camper! I can just see it restored with a cool paint job with a belly tanker behind it heading to the salt flats! Jim

10. I'm on the hunt bigtime for something old and cool to make a camper out of and that is just perfect.

11. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Pretty cool motor home conversion material, but, alas, too many projects now as it is.

12. nevrdun

nevrdun
    from lombard,il

This is the same color combination ( green/creme) as the CTA (Chicago Transit Authority) had in the 50's. The trolleys were electric, with electric wires running above the streets. I"ll bet this was a maint. truck from that time. Unfortunitly I remember the 50's pretty good.

13. 1200 is cheap.. but then $200 is way cheaper.. and i would love to have that.. but already got a bread truck with the mechanical stuff already sorted out just waiting for a few more things so that i can start the camper conversion... just not enough money in my wallet and time in the day.. ohwell.. that thing is cool though!

14. chev537

chev537

neverdun...the CTA is a possibility, brother of the owner of the truck said alot of the cars they had collected came from the Chicago area back in the 60's and 70's....

15. That is a 51-52 year. Cool truck. Even if you do not want it, if you can get it for cheap, buy it and someone else will get it form you and you might make a few bucks for your current or future project.

16. 51PanelMan

51PanelMan

It's a 51 with (likely) a 254 6 cylinder motor. Doubt that it would have the F1's 226 flathead 6. 52s had slightly different hoods, different hood trim and had F-O-R-D letters on the latch panel above the grille.

17. drc9723

drc9723

Chev537 or any other member,

Do you know if this truck is still for sale? Is it located in Barrie, ON? I'm interesting in finding out more details. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

DRC

18. I was going to suggest the same. Make the tool boxes pass through and use them for cabinets.

19. ...here's one I drew altho not t[​IMG]he COE version...

20. 48 Indian Rag

48 Indian Rag
    from conn

That roof rack deal is actually part of an A frame that you put up manually [Later fifty's used hydraulic cylinders to raise them} you then ran the winch line from the bed winch up and used the A frame to set poles. The body had a cab in the back for three or four guys to ride in typically the foreman and truck driver/groundman rode in the front and the linemen rode in the back cab. Osha outlawed them in the 70's because only one way in or out. I drove a 57 GMC snubnose with the same body back in 1970 in line school, lot of torque you could pull a house off it's foundation with the bed winch.