Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures The Derelicts...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Using lasers to build an old chevy?? I dont know how I feel about that...

3. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Obviously intelligent and educated, but in my opinion you forgot "pretentious".I like how cars looked from the 50's,not cars that look 50 years old.
    Paul

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  4. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

This is an interesting concept, not 100% original but interesting. Making older technology more "drivable" by today's standards and environment is something that a lot of folks do to a certain degree...and have been doing for decades. From an aethstetic stand point, I like it because I like the structure and feel of vintage automobile design. To me, that's only one part of it though. I also, very much enjoy the mechanical engineering, feel and experience that comes with the original designed mechanicals of these cars.

With that being said, I always enjoy seeing just another idea and creativity that allows us all to enjoy these vehicles. To each his own.

5. 1953girlracer

1953girlracer
    from Redlands

i understand the idea of build new to look old but I like driving old that is original, even though my 50 chev ute had a motor transplant because the original motor was full of water mixed with old when we got it home from down under, and we put in a 350/350 that we had and just recently put jag front suspention, because it is also right hand drive, and new wiring but those were done for safety reasons. Driving old is great but I do not recommend it to everyone, only those who love to change their own oil, and tinker with the motors and do their own tuneups.

Sent from chick's iPad using TJJ

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

dude takes himself way too seriously. could have just said we took old crusty cars and made them all modern underneath. he acts like he invented the concept.

7. Yeah, I dig what they are doing, it's just not my thing.
    I am not even comfortable using a 700r4 in my '39 COE.
    I not sure wires should be coming out of a transmission.
    I don't like the feeling of opening a hood and and thinking,
    Ahhhh,mmmm,ahhh, shrug shoulders,call tow truck.

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I don't see how you could get pretentious from that video. And I don't think he takes himself too seriously either... Just seems like a dude that really likes what he's doing to me. I think he comes across as a pretty solid dude actually.

9. James Curl

James Curl

I have never had a problem driving old cars or trucks as I drive one or the other almost daily and have never been left besides the road by a problem that I could not fix. I used to travel in my job before retiring. When I first started traveling I carried tools because I drove a 64 Olds Cutlass in the eighties and nineties, never had a problem that I could not fix in the motel parking lot that evening. Used to stop to help other motorist who were stranded. Now if I see someone broken down on the highway I ask if they have a cell phone and give them the D.P.S. phone number that is on the Tex Dot state map to call for a tow truck. I have no idea how to fix the modern computer controlled car.

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

we agree to disagree... too much yapping on and on about nothing. show me the chevy doing burnouts in the parking lot and shut up. that would have been a better video. the guy doesn't have the patience for a manual choke.... WTF?

11. racer756

racer756

like it or not, the dude is doing what most of us are doing to our machines...he is making them better. Whatever better is. He also appears to be a pretty sharp guy, and as business man I wish him luck. The FJ's are pretty bitchen.

12. Damaged1

Damaged1

I understand why he's doing what he does and the market for it must be there or he wouldn't be in business. There are plenty of people who want to DRIVE an old car or truck but don't want to or know how to WORK on them. That's fine, at least they are getting a new lease on life. Not for me though, once you take away the old, original style drivetrain, you've removed its soul. Its no longer the same. Never will be. Doesn't sound or feel like an old car anymore. Reminds me of a kit car at that point.

13. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Well boss, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, because that's how he comes across to me. Fake Patina (or maybe just plain old rust) for yuppies. You started a discussion and I'm just discussing.
    Paul

14. pumpman

pumpman

Rather be working on my sweet old and true 32 banger that I can almost stand in the engine compartment for a closer look. I have no real feelings about what he is doing, hell I see a lot of guys doing this very thing with their mustangs, firebirds and camaros. Different strokes for different folks, just another car guy with a different point of view and comfort level.

15. DaveInc

DaveInc

I lost count of how many times "bitchin'" was used, but I have no problem with the cars. Especially if the mechanicals were hopeless. I do like stock, original better ... I completely understand every component of my car and know how to fix it. But to each their own. We are all car gays and gals.

16. haychrishay

haychrishay

I agree, there are alot of guys out there that have money and like cars but don't talk like we do, that doesn't make them pretentious .

17. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

I can respect anyone who works with their hands and aims to improve something to make it more user friendly. . . with that being said, and this is just my opinion, strictly a "for me" situation. An old car appeals to me because I have to "tinker" with it, because I have to pull the choke to start is in March, because it doesn't drive like a Lexus.

I like that my Hot Rod is a little stiff, makes a ton of noise, and leaves an oil stain everywhere it goes. . . but like I said, that's just me.

Either way, cool video. . . thanks for sharing. Anything that opens me up to someone or something new is welcomed by with open arms by me.

18. onedge

onedge

Derelict thing? I think want to say paint them. Case closed. Besides all thats been played out over the years many times right? As is finish with all the late model underlings at the time right?

Same thing just different label. That's what I got out of it.

19. Builtforsin

Builtforsin

I like and understand em both ways. All original and unmolested, and preserving that 60 year old paint (and lack of) while having a car that goes down the road better (subjective I guess) then new.

And I don't agree that he's full of himself. He didn't do come up with the idea, but they did a fantastic job on the execution. The guy runs a company fixing up old Land Cruisers, I don't think that him not wanting to be a mechanic on his weekends too makes him a pretentious dick. I agree with Ryan, seems pretty down to earth to me. Now if he would have called them ratrods...

20. The maintenance on a modern drive train is simple, it's just not simple when something goes wrong.

Old stuff is simple when something goes wrong.

In between the LS motors and a flathead is the practical compromise...

Compromise begins "C"... and there's a "C" at the end of "SBC" :D

21. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Becareful, posting pictures of either "Derelict Car" will get it removed, and a nasty little email in your box.

MrC.

Attached Files:

22. BStoltz

BStoltz

Smart dude, seems like he has a good business and loves working on old cars just like most everyone else on the boards here, Just a different style, regardless i still like the cars!!!

23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

In 1959, I helped a guy with his '29 Roadster. We tore it apart, then assembled it as a highboy, on '32 rails. His wife was gonna drive it, so I got the idea for a '53 Merc flattie with Merc-O-Matic.
    Used a '46 pickup open banjo, and the car was nicely proportioned.
    You should have heard the flack from the 'hot rod guys'.

Automatic trans in a hot rod??? There will NEVER be any such thing! And so on...

But I still don't put relics on Lexus or S10 frames...

24. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

Kind of an interesting exercise. I think he did it because he could. Like he said, it probably wasn't smart but it is a trend I've seen on these pages.

Of course there is the other end of the spectrum. Bitchin' exterior and POS engine :rolleyes:.

25. BOMONSTER

BOMONSTER

Guy looks at dead old car, likes most of what he sees and dreams of changing it into something unique, reliable and fast. Sees another old car, buys it for the front end and imagines the two combined on a custom built chassis finished with way-cool interior creature comforts but keeping a rough sleeper exterior. And then actually follows through and builds it without a set of instructions or even the precedent of copying another one like on the road. And then can articulate why he did it - leaving many wondering why anyone would do such a thing?

Hmmm....if you don't see yourself in this scenario, then what are you doing reading the HAMB?

26. deto

deto

That dude is smart. He put 2 old pieces of iron back on the road. They could have been done as a pro touring set up but they weren't. Be greatful that they at least have some of their character left.

It takes a lot of talent to execute a build that well. Talent thats above most. While in principle he might go against the grain of the HAMB, take in the craftsmanship that is exhibited here.

27. spot

spot
    from usa

I too dig what he's doing. Top quality work from everyone I know that has seen his stuff in person. There's a big market out there for the "I want the old look with new comforts". I wish him luck. Most folks that can pony up the $150k plus for his Icon toyotas and broncos would not know which end of a wrench to use much less know where to start. Having seen guys like that drive away in a completely restored vehicle only to call back 4 weeks later and ask about a burned out head light is proof to me. It's just a different market.
    I'd rock that T&C or the chevy either one!!

28. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

Marketing. Gotta justify the cost and make it seem like a value. It's not a jalopy;), it's a lifestyle concept, dig? Wabi sabi. Noble rot.

29. Butcher's Shop Customs

Butcher's Shop Customs
    from Paducah KY

I see two cars put on the road that the city probably would have made the P.O. crush. Nothing wrong with that. And they're not poorly assembled rat rods that pose safety hazards to the general driving public, so they are not such a threat to our hobbies and lifestyle. If anything, these two vehicles are "good stewards" of sorts for the hobby, to show that some people are being responsible with such vehicles.

I personally, like many of you, don't like them. Give me the coupe, I'll find another motor, paint it, and build a gasser. Screw that ugly wagon.

I don't like what some of you guys do with your vehicles, and I'm sure there's plenty of you that feel the same way about what I'd do. That's what makes them different, and that's the beauty.

But that doesn't change the fact that a car guy built what he wanted with what he could get, and as I understand it, that's what a hot rod or kustom is supposed to be.

30. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

98% Of the joy I get from old cars comes from the struggle. I feel that is what makes them cool. My car looks like shit because I'm not done yet. I don't see the point in wrapping a Corvette in a rusty body. If ya want a Corvette, buy one