Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. csiki22

csiki22

Love the dice!

2. Flubyu

Flubyu

Bob thanks for your help and good talking with ya! Ill have to catch up with you the next time you get in my neck of the woods and go to the Big E!

3. the shadow

the shadow

have any of you ever seen a midget with the steering drag link crossing through the center of the hair pin radious rods?

to make the stock model A suspension work that I have on my old midget I have to go to a hairpin radious rod set up and the drag link would need to cross inside instead of under it like other ford front end set ups.

wasn't sure it was the safest way to do it?
    Paul

4. racerbillyc

racerbillyc

Billy Mann's daughter was on here looking for pictures of her dad, found these on NEMA site hope she sees them.

Attached Files:

5. Frye jr

Frye jr

Can anyone tell me how I can get a copy of KK chassis prints

6. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

There are no prints !

7. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

the relationship never changes beyond the travel of the steering... so as long as it clears while steering lock to lock... its just as safe as any other place...

8. sideways27

sideways27

Do you have a picture? One suggestion I would make is to rock the car from side to side making sure the drag link will not hit the hairpins. This could cause both the locking of the steering and limit the travel on the suspension.

9. Oh, there are blue prints. Arlen Kurtis has all of his dad's originals. He used them when he built the 10 "continuation" midgets in 1992. He's not selling copies of the prints.

10. Frye jr

Frye jr

Thanks for the information. I didn't really think he would sell any copies. They would make a nice wall hanging in my Man cave.

11. gtxrider

gtxrider

The old Redwood Lodge Special. Love those old badgers

12. Bob Coutts

Bob Coutts

What you want is a STELLING IN & OUT BOX. Itwill be hard to find as they have not been made since 1948-1949.

13. Bob Coutts

Bob Coutts

Yes that car was Harry Meyers car. Harry sold the car in 1953 to a fellow in Vancouver, B.C. and it raced in the northwest driven mostly by Russ Condon.Clarence Smith accuried the car and installed Triumph and it was raced by Earl Vedder.until about 1963 and just sat. I restored it about 8yrs. ago for a local fellow and won the FOREST GROVE CONCOARSE and also took it down to JUSTICE BROS. to show it to Harry and his wife befor he died. The car is here in PORTLAND, OREGON.

14. Buildy

Buildy

15. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

Bob,

Here is another photo of the #66 Harry Meyer Offy. The driver is unidentified. Buck Whitmer is in the Balch #1. The track is Gilmore, the year is 1947.
    My copy of the Jack Fox A.A.A. records shows the car to be a Kuzma: is that correct?

Attached Files:

16. sideways27

sideways27

I hope these pictures come out. They are pictures of two of the four midgets that were Richter / Kuzma midgets. One is the Casale V8 that was driven by Gibb Lilly and the other is the Wes Beck Offy driven by Len Sutton. I see alot of differences in the nose, front nerf bar, hood, tail and the front hair pins. I am going to try and see Art Bagnall on Tuesday and ask him if Harry Meyer owned on of the four midgets. I will let you know the answer.

View attachment 1563160

View attachment 1563161

17. sideways27

sideways27

Sorry, I am not sure what I am doing wrong but the pictures will not transfer? They are resized to the correct size and are JPG or GIF files. I could post before but not now. I will keep trying.

18. Flubyu

Flubyu

If you cant get the pic to load Ill forward my email, I think you might have it already but Im interested in seeing the photos you have, damn computer gremlins!

19. Buildy

Buildy

Some good early midget and sprint car stuff here on a facebook page. Tony Bonadies and Len Duncan`s relative,etc are posting photos on there. We could use help making driver IDs and answering questions. Take a look.
    Keep clicking older posts at the bottom of the page when you get there to see more posts. Lots of good photos.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/102258789894833/141176822669696/

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  20. sideways27

sideways27

I hate to be the barer of sad news but we have lost a great ambassador to the sport of auto racing. Art Bagnall passed away Sunday night, he is probably most remembered for his book “Striving For Excellence” an autobiogophry of Roy Richter in which he acknowledges the great drivers and builders from the past. Which Art knew almost all of them and was friends of all the ones he knew. Art raced himself and drove stock cars, TQ Midgets and full Midgets. He also was an announcer at some of the west coast race tracks. Art loved and lived racing all of his life and started hanging around Roy Richter when he was 10 years old and watched Roy build several race cars in the 30’s one of which was the Sam Hanks car which he was great friends with Sam. Art was a racing historian in all forms of racing from the ¼ midgets to the Indy cars and from the stock cars to the Bonneville cars and every thing in between. Art and Roy would go to Indy every year until Roy's death. Art loved Indy and knew all the drivers. I can not put into words the knowledge this man had regarding racing. I don’t think there was a question he could not answer about a race car or driver, I think he knew all of them. He spent most of his time after the war working for Roy Richter which allowed him to be into racing 24 / 7 and from before the war until last Sunday afternoon. If you have not read his book you are really missing something and it is getting very hard to find.
    RIP My Friend.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  21. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

RIP Art. I don't remember if Art actually worked for Bell Helmets at the speedway or if he was just an unpaid rep for them. I didn't have any extra money back then and he decided I needed a better helmet, so he got it for me free of charge. Thank you Art. I'm thinking Hal Minyard was part of that group too. Denny Z.

22. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Hey Tony ..

PLEASE try to get them to post on here as well.

Many of us here either do not participate of Facebook &/or have dropped off that site.

MANY THANKS.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  23. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Buildy, I don't do facebook either so it would be nice if they showed up here. Thank You, Denny Z.

24. sideways27

sideways27

Denny,
    Art was Roys Sales person and Kenny Parks was the General Manager. Kenny, Art and Roy were all the best of friends. Art would work with Roy at Indy for the Bell Helmet side of the buisness. Art worked with all the different parts of the company, Bell Automotive, Bell Helmets, Crager and Desert Dynamics. Art would travel to race tracks promoting Bell Helmets and I have a picture of him in 1958 giving a helmet to a little girl who just won a 1/4 midget race at the 1/4 Midget Nationals at Phoenix AZ. Like I said he knew all the drivers and Im sure your right about Hal Minyard.

25. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

The Van Craft, Doug Craig, Guy in Ohio, Fred Gerhardt. Dave Masterman, Jim Allen bodied, Kevin Stevenson painted, Steve Bonesteel restored, Dick Woodland Parnelli Jones tribute midget roadster is finished!!! I would love to do more.

Attached Files:

26. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

We had a Open House last Sunday to show off the midget before I take it over to Woodland's museum. one great moment was when Don Thomas and Frank
    Secrest saw each other after over 40 years.

Attached Files:

27. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

sideways27, Thank You Sir for the info. Denny Z

Steve B, Nice pictures and great job. Denny Z

28. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

Tony Jr. an I exchanged some of the old race car photos of our Dads, together, this past year. My Dad & Tony were best friends and partners for a while, and our families (including VERY young Tony Jr & I) spent a fair amount of time together.
    Include MY vote to get some of those photos posted on here, as I am ANOTHER one who wont touch Facebook.
    If they were on here, I might be able to help answer a question or two, or I.D. some.

29. DocF

DocF

Make that a third vote here. I don't twit (or whatever they do there), I am faceless on Facebook, and I don't text. I am becoming a technological Luddite.

Doc

30. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

Don't feel bad. I'm 28 and don't have twitter or facebook(anymore).