Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Clutch Popper Wednesdays

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy Kid, Jan 6, 2011.

1. VonKool13

VonKool13

One of the coolest threads on the HAMB!

2. DirtyJoe

DirtyJoe

I agree with VonKool13.
    I subscribed a while ago.
    Keep it up. I like the sunday posts too!!
    Rock on!!!

3. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Oh yeah, I remember now Dave. Thanks for the reminder.

4. thepoz57

thepoz57

You guys are very motivating... Subscribed.

5. Yo! Last night was fun. We started out the night by going dinner as usual. The specials sucked! Option 1 was liver and onions. Option 2 was a jumbo hot dog. We all went for bacon cheeseburgers with fries and gravy.
    Back at the shop was double the action for double the fun. We worked on the T-bird, and the roadster! I forgot how much I love my roadster. In early September it started giving me some issues so I got mad at it, parked it on the hoist and pretty much forgot about it until last night. Once it was back down on the ground, and all the dust wiped off it I remembered how much fun it is.
    I love my car again!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Charlie and I teamed up on the roadster, and Dave and Johnny continued on with the T bird. Their first job, bolting the rest of the bumper on.
    [​IMG]

Brown hole
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My oil fill tube was tucked so far in to the firewall I needed a transmission funnel to put oil in the car, and stock filler cap would not fit. Tonight it was time to fix that.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front bumper finally on.
    [​IMG]

A couple months ago I had the gas tank cleaned out (it had crap inside), but before it goes on for good, I needed to make room for the filler cap.
    [​IMG]

After the bumper was on, Johnny and Dave continued on with the rear cowl window panel piece. They cannibalized more of the spare trunk lid for the inner bracing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shaping the new firewall piece
    [​IMG]

Trimming to fit
    [​IMG]

Welded in
    [​IMG]

Yeah! I can put oil in my car now!
    [​IMG]

Here is the start of the inner bracing. It's just kind of tacked together to make sure it's all going to work before it's final welded.
    [​IMG]

Topside
    [​IMG]

And sitting in place
    [​IMG]

Anyways thats all for now. I'll be working away on the roadster all week. It has to be all back together and looking pretty for the World of Wheels in February.:D

6. Hey hey. So last night was another two car night. It was Johnny's night, but Dave is still trying to get his car done for the W.O.W. so he made a deal with Johnny to work on his fleetline.
    We went for dinner as usual, canned unicorn meat was the special.
    Back at the shop Johnny and I got started on the roadster cowl, while Dave and Charlie worked on the fleetline.
    [​IMG]

Dave worked on his fleetline all weekend and got one side finished up and both door handles finished..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tonight they worked on the drivers side.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Johnny and I already fit the steel cowl to the cal automotive glass body a few weekends ago. Tonight we made them stay together
    [​IMG]

The seam for the steel and the glass will be at the door opening. Were going to use fender welting to finish the seam off nice, and still allow the steel and glass to contract and expand with no issues.
    [​IMG]

The cowl is held on with all the original dash bolts, the windshield sanction bolts, and 4 1/4 bolts down each side.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We cut the bolt heads off, counter sunk the bolts and tig welded them to the cowl so the outside can still have the factory look, but with 4 "studs" on the inside to hold it together.
    [​IMG]

While we were doing that, Dave was still grinding and banging away
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grinding the tig welds down...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished
    [​IMG]

After that we turned to the wheel wells, and made a template. I have a stainless steel roof skin off an 83 caddy I used to own. We thought of making stainless wheel well panels. Or maybe engine turned aluminum? Thoughts?
    [​IMG]

Anyways , thats as far as we got. Regardless of the wheel wells, the body is now ready for a subframe so we can bolt it down to the chassis.

7. i like the idea of the stainless steel. how was the unicorn prepared?

8. MistShift

MistShift

Unicorns are never prepared, that's why there's so few of them. Darwin thing.

Just a thought, thinkin' shiny or turned wheel wells will distract from "the look".

I'd go with sheetmetal with the "Flyin' Hog" artwork on your paper template beadrolled in ;)

Cheers

9. Unfortunately it's already been done.
    [​IMG]

10. MistShift

MistShift

lmao just picking up my jaw now off the desk...

11. LOL nice update Lee. I know Johnny is doing a 60's vibe but is he doing it all blinged out with chrome? What color? If so polished Stainless might look good.

12. Does anybody have any pics of cars with wheel well inserts ?

13. Jaybird60

Jaybird60

Good stuff. I've been reading this entire thread for about a week now and finally caught up to "real time". It's like turning on one of your favorite tv shows. awesome.

14. wanabe28

wanabe28

They should also be with the naked women wheel cover thread that was around.

15. Love the Fleetline, it's coming along really nice. Good job Dave!

16. hotflint

hotflint

Thanks dude!

17. Great suff as usual!

18. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I spy with my little eye a Model A coupe in this picture somewhere.. :)

The T looks great. I love that roadster too..

19. brad2v

brad2v

I stand by my position that there's something wrong with you guys.

20. If you figure out what it is, be sure to let us know.

21. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

It's those loooooong cold winters guys. Both the Fleety and the roadster are lookin' good. I don't know why but I am enjoying the look of the long cowl in the roadster. Hey, I just misspelled that word, and corrected it, but I think I will make it stay that way, roadstar. There you go Johnny, you have a RoadStar.
    Dave, I might be seeing your vision for the rear of the Fleety now. Now that there is paint on the pass side it's easier for me to see the shape.

Looks like the diner sucks again. Oh yeah, there was no Fred this week.

22. Actually this winter has been great. We had one cold snap for 4 days last month, other than that it has been -10 to plus 10 (30's Fahrenheit) all winter. I've only had to shovel snow 3 times.

23. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Quite a difference from last year's winter judging from the pics you posted last winter.

24. Weekend thrash on Daves fleetline is over.... here is a couple sneak pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wanna see more? Come to the World of Wheels next weekend...

25. Kingsway

Kingsway

See you there!

26. Well, it's almost 2am and were all loaded up for the World of Wheels this weekend. We met at the New West. Meatloaf was the special. I was the only one brave enough to go for it. Everyone else had cheeseburgers:rolleyes:

Back at the shop, I finished up a couple last minute things on my roadster, and the rest of the crew helped Dave finish up the Fleetline.

Bubble lenses!
    [​IMG]

Fat Dave detailing the wheel wells....
    [​IMG]

Roadster dash back together. Cigar lighter even works! (ever try to light a smoke in a roadster with a bic?!)
    [​IMG]

Cloth covered wiring harness, built from scratch by Charlie
    [​IMG]

DONE!
    [​IMG]

Bryan detailing....
    [​IMG]

Dave polishing hubcaps
    [​IMG]

Me polishing stainless...
    [​IMG]

Johnny cleaning windows....
    [​IMG]

27. Bubble lenses installed, headlight rings polished
    [​IMG]

But where was Charlie? Charles and my Dad went out to Jay Mageau's house (Daves father inlaw) and borrowed his 48' race car trailer. My Dad is the only one licensed to drive the Kenworth :D
    [​IMG]

The catch to using the truck and trailer, we had to unload it and store everything in my shop....
    [​IMG]

While the trailer was being unloaded, my Dad and I drove across the street to the storage yard and picked up another trailer!
    [​IMG]

Remember the black Chevy we thrashed on a few months back? It's going to Calgary also! Even though the car has been done for two months now, the owner still hasnt had a chance to pick it up. He flys helicopters for a living in Yellowknife ( Google it if you don't know where it is, it's way the fuck up there! http://lmgtfy.com/?q=yellowknife) However he lives in Calgary, so this way one of his friends can just take the car home for him.
    [​IMG]

By the time we had the black chevy loaded, the race car trailer was almost empty.
    [​IMG]

While the last of the trailer was being unloaded, Dave and I finsihed up the trophy's for Clutch Poppers Pick. One for best hot rod, one for best kustom.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roadster loaded. First time I drove the roadster in 6 months. It felt good!
    [​IMG]

Race cars and equipment in the shop.
    [​IMG]

Somehting was missing on the funny car though....
    Thats better
    [​IMG]

And everything is loaded and ready to go. In 6 hours from now, were rolling to Calgary!
    [​IMG]

28. Wow that is quite the rig! You guys are rolling in style with all your trailer queens;):D.

29. awesome!! sounds like a blast! i hope you bring your camera!