Register now to get rid of these ads!

*** please help me identify my old olds powered t roadster pickup***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AF/X, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AF?X I don't think anyone with a full load of common sense would beat up on you for doing the things that would make it safe and legal to drive.

Front brakes are required by law in most states now and even if they aren't a guy runs a big chance of being a trunk ornament for some car with four wheel disk brakes when they land on the brakes in front of you. If you do the rear suspension right no one will notice anyhow so that isn't something I would worry about. You aren't planning on changes that would really show 25 ft away unless a guy knew what he was looking at in the first place. And I think that most of us would rather see you drive it and enjoy it rather than just stick it away as a museum piece for another 20 years.

2. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

i know that car, but only from the guy you bought it from. i would like to know the history of that thing also. have you gotten it on the road yet?

3. EMPEROR CHUCKYBOY

EMPEROR CHUCKYBOY

AF/X, Im the fellow that located the RPU, in little rock CA. And then turned club member john onto the sale. When i found this car i thought it was the car from Hot Rods to hell.. Real simular but that rpu had a nailhead and radir wheels if i remember correctly.... and in the flick i can tell that it was deffinately shot in my neck of the woods..Anyway the roadster had no motor and trans when we found it but because of the headers and trans mounts we knew what motor was once there.. so we purchased a 54 olds a strong runner and put her back the way she was....This Re-Build was filmed on the viva Las Vegas documentry. If you are interested i can P.M you the sellers number that we found this car from. Id say she was built in the late 50's.... john made the hair pins. I really dug the rpm tach.Hope this helps..... chuck

4. Dave50

Dave50

Rob Ik exactly how you feel i feel the same way with my car if you havent seen the thread check it out, I have had all the same ?`s As i was told think about what you do and make it so you can alwasy put it back

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Honestly it is kinda neat, and is an interesting part of history to be sure. But to treat it like something that you can't improve in terms of safety and function is just wrong

What good is it to you if you can't enjoy it ?
    Repair what needs repairing, add front brakes and whatever else it needs to be legal and safe, then drive the wheels off it and have some fun.

After all that's what it was built for in the first place. :)

6. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

It should be noted, that if it were to put a different box in there(push-pull box like f-1 p/u) and then flip the arm he would get a lot more bump steer from the angle of the push-pull rod, not to say a lot of guys arent running it that way and will say they dont have problems, but it isnt the best way

Oh, and that axle kinda looks dago-ish to me, does it have big stamping lines running front to back where it was dropped???

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  7. AF/X

AF/X

awesome!!! thanks for all the responses. i really love the car. it just looks so cool in person. thanks to Bill @ Hot Rod Alley for selling it to me.

now i just want to find out all i can about it.

thanks again, Rob

8. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

That theme was popular, I had dug out a '23 T years ago, look similar, also with an Olds and 3 2's but hydromatic, swapped the engine for a hypo 351W & C4 from '69 Mustang. Was steel bodied and while in Navy at Mare Island, Calif sold it to anouther sailor from the westcoast of Florida, hopefully it is still cruzin'!!

9. squirrel

squirrel

Rob I got a chance to look at the car today, it's neat, but does need some stuff fixed. I was gonna stop by and see you but ran out of time.

10. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

I was under the impression that a roadster is something with out a top... So this is a roadster truck...

11. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I completely agree with tommy. A "T Bucket" is a kit car. What you have is a cool old '50s to early '60 roadster pickup. I even cringe when someone refers to my avatar as a T bucket. Great find and don't change anything.

12. bstie

bstie

That's a great old rod don't change a thing!

13. EMPEROR CHUCKYBOY

EMPEROR CHUCKYBOY

Call john, He just told me he still has the door panels that match the rest of the interior.. He can send them to you... Chuck

14. gear jammer

gear jammer
    from tucson az

Rob, Nice rail job ..................steering box from what i can see looking at it is some kind of import maybe triumph or mg, maybe volvo, sector shaft has been extended, not the way I would do it but it works for now anyway.

15. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Wow what a neat buy !!!

16. squirrel

squirrel

I watched "hot rod gang" last night in honor...

17. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Mike if it were a "T bucket" it probably would have a reversed Corvair box sold by Total Performance.:D They were always looking for Corvair boxes back then to reverse for their kit cars.

18. AF/X

AF/X

thanks Chuck for the info

19. EMPEROR CHUCKYBOY

EMPEROR CHUCKYBOY

Anytime.. I cant wait to see her Again... Keep her alive.

20. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Nice piece of hotrod history you got there.