Register now to get rid of these ads!

need windshield 4 chopped 72 El Camino

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ed ke6bnl, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Ed ke6bnl

Ed ke6bnl

I purchased a crashed el camno 1972 with a 4" chop, I fixed well changed out the frame, engine and right front and front end stuff. The windshield is broken, and I get quotes for $350 if they get it on the first try( I can live with that) but if they blow it it can go as high as $1000 or?. I have a 71 elco parts car with a windshield, I have herd that some people have used ther sand blast equipment and tape off the good parts and blast away the not needed portion. I am in So. Calif area and if someone knows the proceedure, or any help is appreciated I have a pressure blaster and good size comp. or any other suggestions thank I know you are the group to have the answers. Ed ke6bnl

2. RoadKat

RoadKat

Some people say that uv light makes laminated glass brittle, so that is why they start with a new glass. Also Eldon Titus cuts glass with a cutoff wheel while the glass is partially submerged in a water tank. Either way good luck take plenty of time, and dont try to cut safety glass, like back windows.

3. RonC

RonC
    from Montebello

Paul Rich (All Pro Glass) in Bellflower cut the windshield for my chevy. He is resonable and has been doing it a long time. If the glass cant be fit because of a funky chop, he does Lexan also. I don't think anyone will guarantee the cut without charging a huge price. His number is (562) 630-5006 if you want to get ahold of him.

If you want to try it on your own get some crappy windows from the junkyard and practice. I gave it a shot and broke every single one. I used a diamond blade on an angle grinder with lots of water to cool off the glass. I was getting better at it but then I found Paul and he charged me 200.00 to cut the glass and install it. That was a few years back. It may be a little higher now.

4. daddyo54

daddyo54
    Member Emeritus
    from Denison Tx

5. Ed ke6bnl

Ed ke6bnl

Great advice, on the sandblast method and on the cut off wheel under water with a pneumatic die grinder, and the telephone number, will give him a call and maybe this weekend do some test with some old windshiels I have at home. I do understand the risk that the installer is under but a good experianced install has a better chance. Ed ke6bnl

6. RonC

RonC
    from Montebello

Thats pretty ballsy Daddyo to cut your only windsield on the first shot. What kind of sand did you use? I borrowed a wet tile saw to do my bathroom and its been sitting there. I wonder how that would work to cut glass???????????????

7. daddyo54

daddyo54
    Member Emeritus
    from Denison Tx

Sugar sand.

8. This is the guy I was going to suggest. He'll get it right the first time, he's cut glass for Winfield, Dean and Barris. He's had lots of practice.