Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Cortopassi & Butler "Glass Slipper"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy Journalist, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Jalopy Journalist

Jalopy Journalist
    from Austin, TX

The Glass Slipper, created in 1954 by Ed Cortopassi and Doug Butler was the first dragster with a streamlined body and enclosed body. It had an aluminum frame and a Ford Flatty running nitro (I believe, some sources say so and others say not). It as many cars of that era ran at the quarter and at the salt flats, and in 1955 it bested out reaching 181 mph.

After multiple paint jobs, the addition of a lexan window, and some running gear swaps, it was named America's Most Beautiful Competition Car in the 1957 Grand National.

The car caught the eye of Wally Parks, who was trying to prove that beyond anything else, hot rodders weren't a bunch of hooligans, so he teamed the Glass Slipper up with Calvin Rice's Dragster to make his point. There goal, to beat the standing acceleration record that had been set many years before.
    Ed decided to go with an unblown 302 sbc running nitro. Because the slipper consistently ran 160 at the track and 180 at Bonneville, it should go through without a catch.

After the long hunt for a track to race at and a rain out one weekend, they finally got underway. With the Rice Dragster did get the record, it was not as much of a win as it should have been (but a later attempt would really take the win) but the slipper destroyed the old record and took it's place in the history books.

Here are some pictures, I believe they are placed chronologically. Enjoy and if you know more, please post it up. I made this thread due to my respect for this gorgeous dragster.

Running Flathead
    [​IMG]

Freshly Painted and changed to the SBC
    [​IMG]

Ed Cortapassi in The Glass Slipper at Vacaville (1959)
    [​IMG]

Some time in the 80's I believe, while Ed still raced it (and it still is raced)
    [​IMG]

Most recent, just a picture of how it looks now.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  2. Always thought that car was a real stand out. Good to see some pictures of it.

3. Jalopy Journalist

Jalopy Journalist
    from Austin, TX

Yeah, it really does. There are a ton more pictures including a really blurry one with Wally Parks in it which I really like... here it is. Now what happened to it during the 60's and on. I know it was and still is raced, but where, did it do anything else extraordinary. Where is it located? And, money question, does anyone know what happened to the nitro flathead it was using?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  4. snaptwo

snaptwo

Wasn't the Chevy powered "Slipper" destroyed in a structure fire and rebuilt by the owners ? We saw it at the Fremont reunion and at CHRR , still a treasure and way ahead of it's time !!

5. Jalopy Journalist

Jalopy Journalist
    from Austin, TX

Does anyone know if this car ran nitro with the flathead? I have been a student of this car for a while but I can never find that out.

6. Truly a beautiful machine that was great material for the magazines of the day.

7. Jalopy Journalist

Jalopy Journalist
    from Austin, TX

Nobody knows if it ran a nitro flatty?

8. I have one of those "sounds of the drags" record albums and in it the Glass Slipper is making a run at the 63' AHRA Winter Championships.

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Beautiful! Any shots of the flathead in there?

10. Thanks for the post.

11. M.Edell

M.Edell

Excellent ! Another Great Nor Cal legend.

12. Jalopy Journalist

Jalopy Journalist
    from Austin, TX

I can't, I have one of the SBC but none of the flathead. Does anyone on here have any info on the flathead?

13. 296ardun

296ardun

I have the old copy of HRM with the flathead powered version, will try to find it to see if the car did run nitro....

Not sure if it burned, the story I remember was that Ed Cortopassi stored it in his garage after technology and money passed it by, and restored it maybe 20 years ago(?)...it was one of the beautiful dragsters ever built, in my opinion...used to run the nostalgia meets but have not seen it featured for a few years, wonder what happened to it?

14. 1Bad67

1Bad67

Here's one my brother took at the old track in Medford (actually White City)
    Wow, just realized this is the only one with a blower... I'll have to ask if he remembers when he took it.

Attached Files:

15. Jalopy Journalist

Jalopy Journalist
    from Austin, TX

From what I can tell it is still raced by Ed's son. But yeah, it really fell off the radar. Thank you by the way for checking up on it.

That picture is awesome. It looks like one of the pictures from 1958-65 (I think 65, is when it got repainted) but the blower is throwing me for a loop. I never heard of it running a blower.

16. 1Bad67

1Bad67

It was with some other pics from '61. Like a picture of Romeo Palamides AA Dragster.

17. Normbc9

Normbc9

I'm an old Southern California kid but I'd see the "Slipper" show up at LADS and at Colton and every time I saw that car and the crew I was impressed. That crew and I think it was Vic Hubbard showed us just how fast a Chevy 265 block could run. Now remember, that was in the mid 50's and they sure put on a good show. One thing that always impressed me was the courtesy of the crew. Congenial, anxious to share with us and always an immacutalate machine and it still is today at the Museum in Pomona. Talk about history. They are a big part of our racing past!
    Normbc9

18. Hellbentrodder

Hellbentrodder
    from Cotati

I first saw the "Slipper" when I was around 10 years old. My dad took me to a nostalgia meet at Fremont in the mid 80's and it was love at first sight. Can never see enough pics of this car.

19. I also saw it race at Fremont - a class act all the way!
    Just ran in to the car (not literally) at the NHRA Museum in Pomona a couple of weeks ago.
    Willi

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  20. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

^^^^Me too at the same place, @ 12 -13 years old. Love that car!^^^^

21. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Yes it was burned and the body was nearly completely destroyed.
    I know because iv seen the photos taken by the man that brought it back.

I don’t talk about it here because saying fiberglass is like saying the “N” word .

But iv done a bunch of work with a very talented fiberglass guy here in nor cal .He is behind a ton of high profile big name cars from scratch and restorations.
    He is responsible for making a new body for the slipper …. The owner simply paid and took the credit.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  22. firingorder1

firingorder1

There is an interesting piece about Don Schumacher wanting to run an enclosed cockpit on his current dragster. Its a copy of a "Garlits innovation" from the 80s. Now I'm thinking Cortopassi copied "Garlits innovation" from the 80s all the way back in the 50s. Next thing ya know is the Smokin' White Owl copied Garlits.

The Glass Slipper has always been one of my favorites. Long may it run.

23. 2935ford

2935ford

The Slipper nowadays usually hangs out at the NHRA museum in Pomona, Ca.

Attached Files:

24. M.Edell

M.Edell

Hot Rod Magazine 1956

Attached Files:

25. big*b

big*b

I remember going to the nostalgia drags at S.I.R with my dad, must of been in the late '80's early '90's. The glass slipper blew my mind. I have a couple pictures i took of it on my first camera.
    thanks for starting this thread!

26. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

from National DRAGSTER

Attached Files:

• nd.jpg
      nd.jpg
      File size:
      119.1 KB
      Views:
  27. Jalopy Journalist

Jalopy Journalist
    from Austin, TX

Okay, so there is a lead. Now, does anyone have any pictures or scans of the 1956 Hot Rod Magazine, or do you have it and care to share some scans with us?

28. Jalopy Journalist

Jalopy Journalist
    from Austin, TX

Guess who just bought a 1955 and 1956 Hot Rod Magazine? This guy.

29. The only thing I can contribute to this thread is I got to follow it up I-5 north bound for several miles back in the mid 80's. My friends in the car kept telling me to "watch the road! Goddamit!" They just didnt understand.

30. Jalopy Journalist

Jalopy Journalist
    from Austin, TX

Any one else have any more pictures or facts?