Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spray Foam for sealing & reinforcement?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Edd, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Edd

Edd

Anyone have any experience with Urethane Spray Sealant Foam? Looking to finish the floor in my coupe and need to close some panel gaps and reinforcement that run along exterior panels (ie that can't be welded).

The idea is stabilize and keep fumes out of the car.

Thanks

2. designs that work

designs that work

Worked building aluminum boats way back, hammered rivets with plywood seats and floor boards. Expanding foam will distort aluminum and pop hammered rivets.

3. Talk to your local auto paint supplier. There are products made for automotive use.

4. choptvan

choptvan

NNNOOOOOOOOO!!!! It is a water trap at best. So unless you want to redo all you have done, leave it alone.

5. Edd

Edd

10-4 on that...(welding the panels is the other way to mess them up). I understand that they make the foam with various expansion and strength rates...hoping someone could recommend one for my needs.

Thanks..

6. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i sprayed it in the wall ribbes in a van i had to help stop the booming sounds coming from the sheel metal walls. it took forever to dig it out. it has more force than than you would think, and it will hold moisture. it's great for home construction, but i won't be useing it for sealing up a car or truck again! someone said it destost aluminum and pop rivets, it'll pop factory spot welds! find something better.

7. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

"it will destort" not destost. i dont even know what that is. sorry.

8. rcoffey

rcoffey

:eek:please dont!!!!!I got a 51 chevy in trade that is full of this crap . and if it aint a bass boat ,corvette or a dune buggy stay away from fiberglass!! just my op

9. Edd

Edd

OK..foam is out..let me try again:

What do you use to seal gaps between inner and outer panels and reinforcements that run along body panels.

I know the factory uses it in cars...maybe they don't use the term foam...but it's flexible and will fill in the gaps. Obviously seam sealer won't work.

10. XXL__

XXL__

11. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

The factory (today) uses PVC, sprayed under high pressure, and oven cured.
    Not sure what they used in the old days.

12. Edd

Edd

I was watching the history channel when they had a special on the Chevy Volt manufacturing process. The robots were applying the stuff all over the car to seal and reduce noise, here is a link that kinda discusses the process, you can see the firewall all "sealed" (foamed?) up.

http://perceptron.com/index.php/en/applications/seam-sealing.html

13. why wouldn't seam sealer work?

14. Eastwood has a two part sealant in a twin tube caulking gun. It mixes the two parts in the nozzle and you need a special gun they sell. It is used by the body repair industry to glue panels to cars. It won't come undone once set up. If you have a friend at a body shop, you might be able to buy the tubes and borrow the gun.
    RB

15. A LOT of seam sealer at least it can be removed later if nessary

16. XXL__

XXL__

My (then) local NAPA loaned me the gun for free when I bought the $80+ tube-o-goo. Gun was $150 or so had I wanted to buy it. No obvious reason why it is so expensive... it's basically a proprietary-sized caulking gun.

17. Edd

Edd

Normally used for gaps less than 1/8". I need something strong and flexible in my old Chevy. Pulled the wood and have it framed up with steel.

In the areas where I can weld to the inner body points no problem..I really would like to stabilize the exterior panels that run parallel with the steel reinforcements.

18. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

there are ALOT of foams (2-part) by 3m and other companies that are intended for auto motive use and would do exactly what you want them to do.
    check with your local paint supplier (stay away from home depot stuff).
    The 2-part foams work very well, they come in a variety of expansion rates and will not attract water.
    Body shops use them all the time.

19. Read my first post. Its called NVH foam. IT's NOT expanding foam

20. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3M Fast n' Firm Seam Sealer Beige. this is a sealer
    or
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dominion Sure Seal - Sure mix 5002[/FONT]. this is a panel adhesive

the 3M stuff says up to a 1/4, but that's for there quick drying and paint-able in a certain amount of time dig

The panel adhesive will not stay flexible

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  21. destost...........this toast

22. 3m fast and firm seam sealer is what i would use. will fill some big gaps and is pretty strong.

23. Clik

Clik

Gorilla hair.

24. garcoal

garcoal

squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak other than that go for it

25. Edd

Edd

26. That shit has no business in a build of any kind

27. Edd

Edd

28. Edd

Edd