Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead "Best Gasket" head gasket, HELP!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by no6, Feb 8, 2012.

1. I just purchased a Best Gasket gasket set for my flathead, the right side fits, I assume correctly meaning all of the holes line up and the left side fits correctly upside down for all of the holes to line up. Whats wrong if anything?

2. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

Be sure to check all the holes line up and are the same size... Had that problem recently...

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Are these copper faced head gaskets or plain fiber?

4. They are the fiber ones. I researched it on here and came to the conclusion that they were real good gaskets, not sure now.

5. Fiber over steel.

6. alchemy

alchemy

If it's the pre 48, I think I remember there is no up or down. I used a Best gasket head set a few years ago and was puzzled also, but the machinist said it wouldn't make any difference how the folded tin edges go. Just line up the water holes (big water holes to the back of the engine). The car has been sealed up fine since then and runs nice and cool.

I used coppercoat sprayed on both sides of the gasket upon installation.

7. flatjack

flatjack

Holes will not always line up or be the same size. Ford made changes in gaskets over the years to help cooling. This was easily done by changing gasket configuration rather than changing the casting.

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

If following Ford (you should be using later one with all round holes, no trapezoid) there is no top or bottom but there is a front and back involving minor size differences between some of the front and rear holes. Both gaskets are the same, hence one is flopped in relation to the other to get the position right.
    I think about every engine I haave ever worked on uses gasket holes to determine flow... casting holes always differ from gasket holes. Some of this may be due to fine tuning of flow, but a lot is probably from various casting needs at the foundry.

9. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

What `series of flathead do you have? 81,41,59,8ba?

Jim

10. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

I know exactly what you are talking about... We just put these on a 53 flatty... On one side of block the gasket looks correct when looking at crimped on steel.. The other side of engine the only way the gasket fits appears upside down when looking at the crimped steel... Thats how they mount... Worked great on the motor we just did...Jason.

11. It's a 51 Merc, are the different from a Ford?

12. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

The late style flathead V-8 which you have has two different gaskets which im sure you figured out. The front end of both gaskets are different the gasket which has the large step is for the right side. However the rear of both gaskets are identical the water holes located at the rear corners of both gaskets are not round holes they are shaped sort of like an L shaped tapering oval. The gaskets can not be reversed or fliped over to get the holes to line up correctly the bolt holes should line up since the bolt pattern on all 24 stud flatheads is the same but if the water holes are not lining up correctly the gasket is the wrong type for the year flathead block you have.
    Once in a while I do experiance a problem where the head gasket was made with some bolt holes being to small in diameter because a ring bushing was placed in the area of a bolt hole similar to the way a water hole is lined by a ring. Once I removed these ring
    bushings I was able to use the gaskets since the hole diameter was now correct for the bolt to pass threw. Not sure of the brand gasket with the problem but its not an unusual problem.
    Ron

13. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Ooopsie.... Pre 49 engines the block and head do not know which side of the gasket is up or down, so as long as the water port holes match up you are good to go. Look closely and you may see an arrow pointing to front or a notch in the edge of the gasket that refers to frontward pointing direction of the gasket.

Post 49-53 flathead engines have left and right gaskets identified by the rear water passage openings that are lacking on the front of the block deck surface so they can only be installed one way. If you have a 49-53 engine you should have TWO different head gaskets gaskets

14. Dick: I have the two different gaskets that only fit one way but if you look at the gaskets it looks like a top and bottom. When you install them where they will fit correctly one looks to to be on right and one upside down.

15. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

As long as the water holes line up the gasket doesn't know up from down. Give them a good coating of silver spray paint and install.

16. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

X2

Frank

17. squirrel

squirrel

Ford is the only one I remember that requires you to put the gaskets on the right way, for the engine to cool...

Front/back is important, top/bottom is not important.

18. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Basicaly the same except the Merc crank has a 1/4" longer stroke than the Ford. The Merc is 255 cu/in and the Ford is 239 cu/in.

The gaskets are different side to side. The passenger side has a protrusion on the front where the distributor mounts and the drivers side doesn't. The teardrop shaped cooling holes in the gasket go to the back of the motor. When you ordered the gaskets did you specify 8BA type? If you didn't the gaskets may be for a 59A and both sides look the same. If the right side doen't have the protrusion you'll have a leak on that side because a
    bypass hole from the water pump coming thru the deck will not be covered and will leak.

JIm

19. I ordered it specifically for a Merc motor, it just seems weird that when you install them one is upside down, strange, you would think they could make them the same way. I guess if the holes line up the heads don't know which way the gaskets are made.

The other thing I think confusing is some say to spray copper coat on these gaskets and some say not, it would be nice if the gasket makers would put instructions in the box.

20. flatjack

flatjack

Everyone has their own idea of how best to install the head gaskets. I prefer to put mine on without any sealant. It just works for me. Others like to use coppercoat or something similar. I think they will work fine either way. Just be sure to use a sealer for the bolt threads.

21. tig master

tig master
    from up north

8Ba 49/53 have left and right gaskets they only go on one way. Backwards they will not line up h20 holes.Look at the gaskets they have 2 different part numbers on them.

59a gaskets pre 48 only have one part number for both sides. not rocket science.

T

22. tig master

tig master
    from up north

This is what your gaskets should look like if you are 48 and up.The one with the bump on the front (top one in pic)goes on passenger side R/H.

All this is only true when you use 8ba heads 59a heads on an 8ba is another kettle of fish.

My2¢

Tig

Attached Files:

23. Notice one is upside down, it just threw me off and I wanted to make sure nothing was wrong, thats what is great about the HAMB.

24. flatheads4eva

flatheads4eva

i got a question on this post what is the sealer u use to install the head bolts back in ??? and u just coat the treads in it right ???? . and my piston tops in the engine im working on has 0.60 tops can i use standard gaskets to reinstall my heads or are they special bore gaskets i need ????

25. Slick Willy

Slick Willy