Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Our Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmergal, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

To give a relatively quick update about what's going on with this coupe:

This coupe has been reduced to a body sitting on an original frame. Just about everything has been sold off of it with the exception of a few things.

While it is quite an "uncomfortable" feeling to strip parts from an all original survivor; in the end we know that all of the parts from this coupe are going on to help many Model A's continue their lives. With the exception of a few things; all parts were sent to different states across the USA.

The frame is on order and it is being built by Black Board Hot Rods in California. This coupe will eventually be sitting on a deuce frame that is pinched for the Model A body. The frame is going to be stretched 1 inch in the front to accomidate the 425 Nailhead and lessen the amount of firewall destruction to make it all fit.

The frame is expected in 4-8 weeks so we will have plenty of time to get other things in order. We found a complete Superbell dropped axle front end set-up for CHEAP off of Craigslist. Although it's currently painted red, we will eventually clean it up and paint it. We have Buick finned drums that we eventually want to run on it but funds will determine if we can set those brakes up now or if we'll have to wait awhile. The coupe will be running it's stock grill shell. We're sick of seeing all model A coupes running a Deuce grill shell so we're keeping par tof it's heritage alive in this build. '30 grill shell it is.

this coupe will be running a buggy spring in the rear. no coil overs. We don't want this coupe to look like a modern day race car from the rear..so it's staying classy. The rearend will be a Ford 9".

The 425 Nailhead was something we acquired on a scrap run. It came out of a junk riviera that had been sitting in Worcester Mass for awhile. The engine is built and bored 30 over. We got it running before removing it from the car. It's going to get re-gasketed and cleaned up. It will be running polished and finned Offy valve covers, finned and polished spark plug covers, finned and polished valley pan, and double 4 barrel hot rod air cleaner set-up and probably some other fun stuff when the time comes.

The car is likely going to be triple black. Black body, black engine, black frame, and black wheels w/ chrome center caps. and yes it's going to be GLOSS Black. The car will likely be running blackwalls.

It's going to retain the original dash with added instruments.

As for the chop: It's not on the list of priorities right now. It's going to be one of the last things on the list. Looking at 3 1/2" or 4" chop. Absolutely nothing more than 4".

Slight update pics:

coupenew1.jpg

coupenew2.jpg

2. A Rodder

A Rodder

Sweet!
    One thought on the stock dash/ gas tank / extra gauges. Plan that out carefully.

3. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

we will :). we know what we need for gauges so it's all going to have to be planned out. we'll see what we can design :)

4. F&J

F&J

Great idea. Will it look right, time will tell. One inch,.. I doubt will be noticable to anyone.

5. tjmercury

tjmercury

Uuuuummm.......WOW! That car is beautiful, nice score

6. tjmercury

tjmercury

Was a beautiful car!

7. It's a very beautiful car, I wish you well, just take your time with it, let me know if I can help you in any way ;)

8. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Thanks Grits! we will ask if we have questions!

Tjmercury...last i checked this is a hot rod forum and we paid the dough for the car so it's ours to do what we want. people can gripe all they want. in the end they'll all probably be drooling...

9. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

don't you think you would get a lot more done if you didn't respond at least 50 times to your own thread? guess ya gotta keep that post count up.

10. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

okay then; i'm never going to update this thread again and will no longer share the build with the HAMB. consider the thread closed.

11. F&J

F&J

Go get em girl :D

You can't close this thread yet. I want my buddy from N.Windham to see that exact frame you ordered. It will finally get him going I hope.;)

12. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

ill send you pics via PM... :).

13. draggler

draggler

Thats a beautiful thing!

14. don't let a guy driving his moms station wagon get you down. Please keep posting....

15. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

dont be a jackass. are you a alliance member? please don't stop showing your progress gal, if you do, the terrorist win. please keep posting and answering.

16. welded78

welded78
    from ct

This is such a great place for info, parts, or anything hotrod . so why is it that we have some knucle head that has nothing better to do than bug people that are trying to add good info or just enjoying their hobby? i would like to add that few of us will ever be lucky enough to have their girlfriends or wives helping with our builds weather it be getting us info or selling our old parts so we can buy the parts we need or even scraping and sanding . Thanks for all the positive help and comments and to the few with nothing good to say thanks for entertaining us with your misery.

17. F&J

F&J

Joe, let it all ride. Tonight was a full moon or something.

I was looking forward to that custom 32 frame with one inch stretch...never knew they did that.

18. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Hey farmergal, keep the updates coming. All the cool people are digging this build. :D

19. A Rodder

A Rodder

Uhhhhhh....... I would say there has been great progress since the purchase, what 3 weeks ago.

20. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

my moms wagon is cooler than your moms wagon!

21. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

I don't think anyone really gives a crap about your wagon right now. Let me clue you into something: this is MY thread about OUR model A coupe. If you don't like it; that's just tough-suck it up and deal. As long as your posting in MY thread; keep it friendly and constructive...otherwise go screw and go find someone else to pick on; I'm done with the crap.

22. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I'm looking forward for the updates as you go. I am doing a similar car, just in the planning stages right now. Mine was a partially restored car.

23. You do realize that they know how you are going to repond to their posts (see above) and that is what fuels them to continue doing it. If you just ignored them they will go away becuase it won't be fun anymore.

Good luck with your build. I hope it all comes together like you envision it.

24. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

well they wont have to worry about my posts and what does or doesnt fuel them because this right here...is my last post on the HAMB.

25. road devil

road devil

hi farmergal
    i hope it´s not!
    i´m a guy from south of sweden and just bought me an A Ford from 1930, a Tudor and was hoping to follow your thread for a long time.
    i really hope that you will think about leaving, we need you here!
    keep up the good work and stay on the HAMB, together we are strong and keep those assholes away!

best regards from sweden
    //pm

26. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

If you want to check out some build threads here's a great resource.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=651453

27. F&J

F&J

Geez, why? Most of us either "read" or "say" things we should not have...

Neither of those is a good reason to give up on a good site. JMO

28. road devil

road devil

wow thanx ZMAN, that is an amazing thread... thanx again :)
    this is what HAMB is suposed to be, helpful people help each other...

best regards

29. I for one totally support Farmergal ... if this is her last post ... then this too shall be mine :mad:.

30. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

How did we get here? Farmergal, I was looking forward to following your build. Don't let one comment keep you from updating your progress here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.