Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wisconsin Legislative Alert LRB 3267/1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tractorguy, Feb 7, 2012.

1. tractorguy

tractorguy

Heads up to all the guys from Wisconsin. I just got an email from State Sen. Glenn Grothman's office about pending legislation for the old car, military vehicle, hot rod hobby. A new bill has been introduced as follows: LRB 3267/1 Registration Rights Act.
    I have not had any time to review the details, but this looks like it is trying to do away with a lot of the registration hurdles that we all know can be a nightmare at the Wisconsin DOT.
    Apparently this bill is being introduced and fast-tracked to be co-sponsored, discussed and passed before the end of the April legislative session due to the "unsettled" political climate we are all experiencing in Wisconsin.
    I would suggest looking for more info on the Bill itself and contacting your member of the Wisconsin State Assembly and State Senate to ask them to co-sponsor and vote YES on this Bill.

2. Black Primer

Black Primer

Thanks for the info. Sounds like things may get better for us!

3. cool....i hope.
    Gotta remember this and ask Curt R about it come the WOW next week.

4. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Seems like we might actually have some legislators with some brains now. Hopefully the recallers aren't able to F it up.

5. Damaged1

Damaged1

First they dropped emission testing for older vehicles and now it might get easier to register them too!?!? That would be very cool!!

6. ...hope it trickles down into Illinois!

7. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

What, the easing up of the rules or politicians with brains?

8. Kustom Kid 53

Kustom Kid 53

Wow legislation that make our lives better?? Who would have ever thought! This does not happen very often...

9. Dizzie

Dizzie

Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like a positive for the hobby, finally.

10. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

Yeah, don't hold your breath. Wisconsin is rolling back the oppression.

11. LRB 3267/1 has been proposed as corrective legislation to solve registration problems encountered by owners of ex-military and ex-government vehicles.

LRB 3267/1 also wants to loosen up the requirements for the "collector" license plate.

LRB 3267/1 is not addressing any current legislation or procedures for titling or registering
    any other types of vehicles.

Curt R

12. Yes

13. rustang

rustang

I will be sending a letter ASAP...we all need to so the Sen./Reps. know where their meal tickets come from....If we don't it will get defeated possibly... Just sayin'
    Tom

14. undysworld

undysworld

Glad to see this is here already. Sorry to be posting info here so late.

I was one of the fellows who worked with Sen. Grothman's office to get this bill drafted, with input from others.

This bill does not address titling issues, but it will effect the registration of all vehicles by allowing inspection of vehicles if they get their registration denied.

This is a good bill for owners of any "non-standard" vehicles (basically, every car older than about 15 years.). Sen. Grothman got started on this because of a constituent who had a 1951 civilian Jeep which was denied Collector plates. DOT turned her down because it was a "military" Jeep, but it turned out the woman's late husband had only painted it olive drab!! There was a VW Bug and a VW Thing, both denied Collector plates for an AM/FM radio.

It seems our DOT was having problems determining which vehicle fit into which registration type. They want to force a bunch of older vehicles into a restricted registration, for parades and shows only. As a result, hot-rods, import and collector cars, and even govt. surplus Blazers & pickups were getting denied registration. The owner of a govt. surplus Blazer has been fighting a denial for over a year now. A Chevy Blazer!!

We've drafted a bill which, if passed, removes the two statutes WisDOT has been applying to remove otherwise-legal vehicles from the road.

* One allows them to deny registration if the vehicle doesn't have a FMVSS-certification label in readable condition on the door. Vehicles like pre-'68s, home-made/kit cars, antique imports, and govt. surplus DO NOT HAVE THIS LABEL.
    * The second allows them to deny registration to former military (govt. surplus) vehicles which do not meet FMVSS (safety standards). Despite overwhelming evidence that nearly all of these DO meet FMVSS, WisDOT refuses registration unless the owner proves it meets FMVSS, something that is essentially impossible. (We're not talking about licensing tanks and halftracks, just things like Jeeps, Blazers, Pickups, and med. size cargo trucks including the deuce & 1/2 and 5-ton trucks.)

This bill will no longer allow DOT to deny registration for a vehicle which meets the equipment standards which were established for the vehicle as of the date of manufacture, or is otherwise exempted from those standards. Instead, just like most other U.S. states, our bill establishes the state's own equipment standards as the minimum requirements which must be met for regular registration. If it meets them, it deserves to be registered.

If still preserves DOT's right to deny registration for a stolen vehicle, and for other questions about a vehicle's equipment. But it creates a new method of proving compliance IF you get denied. You can then choose to get the vehicle inspected for equipment and condition by a state cop. If you pass, DOT cannot deny registration, and must register your vehicle. This is a whole lot more feasible than the current option of filing an appeal, which is a lengthy and costly ordeal.

The last provision will allow vehicles with minor modifications to get Collector plates. They can't be big changes: a blower through the hood, or tubbed, chopped, etc. But currently WisDOT is denying Collector plates for a radio, hubcaps, radial tires, etc. They are interpreting the current law too strictly, you might say anal-retentively. We DO NOT intend to change the spirit of the Collector cars as being true to original. But there must be leeway for upgrades, especially safety upgrades like radials, safety-glass window, seatbelts, dual-circuit brakes, interlocking motor-mounts, and others. Minor "bolt-on" changes like hubcaps should not be reason for denial.

DOT lacks the expertise to accurately determine what is original or not. Owners are the ones who suffer from WisDOT's ignorance. You experts are the only ones who really know. DOT cannot be relied on to sort out the clones from the concours cars. There will always be questions about the authenticity of vehicles, and we will continue to rely on the experts for that knowledge. So we need to give the law a little leeway that stays true to the Collector spirit. This change will give us that.

The bill has the endorsement and support of both SEMA and HVA, who have had their legislative attorneys review it. It enjoys bi-partisan sponsorship and support within the Wis. Legislature. It is overwhelmingly backed by the Wis. owners we've been in contact with.

You can find info, and hear last week's interview with us, on the Hot-Rod Radio Show.

This bill has now made it to the Legislative Committees, and now has official Legislative numbers: SB-462 in the Senate and AB-580 in the Assembly.
    Use the new numbers if you contact your representatives.
    SB-462/AB-580

We expect Public Hearings on this, within a week or so.

WHAT CAN YOU DO?

Visit our Alfa Heaven website for additional info, including some quotes from WisDOT workers that will likely shock you. Click on Motor Vehicle Registration Rights Bill for the updates. (Tom Zat, owner of Alfa Heaven was also involved in drafting this bill.)

Sign up on-line to be registered IN-FAVOR of this bill, at the upcoming public hearings. You can get there through the Alfa site, or go directly HERE.
    (If you're squeamish about entering info on-line, email me and I'll send out the public hearing forms so you can mail them in directly.)

Call or E-mail each of the members of our Legislative Transportation Committees. Tell them who you are urge them to schedule a hearing over this, and urge them to promptly vote it through committee. Here is a list of our Senate and Assembly Committee members:

[email protected] chair 608 266-5400
    [email protected] vice-chair 608 266-2056
    [email protected] 608 266-3512
    [email protected] 608 266-6670
    [email protected] 608 266-2500

[email protected] chair 608 266-1182
    [email protected] vice-chair 608 266-5120
    [email protected] 608 266-5831
    [email protected] 608 266-8590
    [email protected] 608 266-0616
    [email protected] 608 266-0610
    [email protected] 608 266-3404
    [email protected] 608 266-0656
    [email protected] 608 266-7503
    [email protected] 608 266-0455
    [email protected] 608 266-8366
    [email protected] 608 266-3070
    [email protected] 608 266-3790
    [email protected] 608 266-7690
    [email protected] 608 266-0960

To get added to our E-Mail notification list, to receive updates about this directly, send an email to [email protected]

DO IT TODAY!!

Thanks,
    Paul Underwood

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  15. Thanks for the info.

16. undysworld

undysworld

Re: Motor Vehicle Registration Rights Bill - SB-462 / AB-580

Don't Let This Bill Die!

DOT is applying enormous pressure to try and kill this Bill. (That probably indicates how much this bill is in your best interests.) Without your efforts, they will succeed.

We expect a Public Hearing on this soon. We may not have much advance notice. STAY TUNED for updates, if you wish to attend. In case you have not yet registered IN FAVOR, do it on-line HERE.

Urgent Action Needed

Contact the following officials. They are listed in order of importance. Please contact them all, or at least reach the most important ones.

Tell Them:
    * I am strongly IN SUPPORT of SB-462 / AB-580.
    * I want you to move this bill to a vote before this session ends.
    * I want you to VOTE YES on this bill.

Gov. Scott Walker
    [email protected]
    608 262-1212

Sen. Scott Fitzgerald
    [email protected]
    608 266-5660

Rep. Jeff Fitzgerald
    [email protected]
    608 266-2540

Sen. Mary Lazich - Chair Senate Transportation Committee
    [email protected]
    608 266-5400

Rep. Jerry Petrowski - Chair Assembly Transportation Committee
    [email protected]
    608 266-1182

Your Own Senator and Assembly Rep.
    In case you do not know who they are, or how to contact them, please go the Wis. Legis. page, Who Are My Legislators?

The remaining Transportation Committee Members:
    [email protected] vice-chair 608 266-2056
    [email protected] 608 266-3512
    [email protected] 608 266-6670
    [email protected] 608 266-2500

[email protected] vice-chair 608 266-5120
    [email protected] 608 266-5831
    [email protected] 608 266-8590
    [email protected] 608 266-0616
    [email protected] 608 266-0610
    [email protected] 608 266-3404
    [email protected] 608 266-0656
    [email protected] 608 266-7503
    [email protected] 608 266-0455
    [email protected] 608 266-8366
    [email protected] 608 266-3070
    [email protected] 608 266-3790
    [email protected] 608 266-7690
    [email protected] 608 266-0960

17. undysworld

undysworld

To All,

Wisconsin Motor Vehicle Registration Rights Bill SB-462 / AB-580

Congratulations!

This is the official announcement that our bill has been scheduled for a Public Hearing before the Senate Committee on Transportation, Wed., Mar. 7th! Your calls and emails made this happen.

PLEASE READ:
    You have a right to attend this hearing, but you do not need to. You can attend and register IN FAVOR of the bill, and you can speak before the Committee if you wish. BUT, because of time concerns, it might be better if most people did not speak.
    Tom and I will both speak about the bill. We have also arranged for a handful of owners who have been particularly inconvenienced by the DMV to speak and tell their "horror tales". But beyond that, we have been asked to urge you to only register IN FAVOR (if you haven't already done it on-line HERE), if you choose to attend the hearing. The committee schedule is very full, and we do not want to burden them with too much testimony.

HOW YOU CAN HELP
    We still need to get this through the Assembly. Contact these two gentlemen. Urge them to work to move this bill forward.

Assy. Rep. Jeff Fitzgerald, Speaker of the Assembly
    (608) 266-2540
    [email protected]

Assy. Rep. Jerry Petrowski, Chairman Assembly Transportation Committee
    (608) 266-1182
    [email protected]

Thanks For Your Continued Hard Work & Support! We can do this!

Senate

PUBLIC HEARING

Committee on Transportation and Elections

The committee will hold a public hearing on the following items at the time specified below:

Wednesday, March 7, 2012
    9:00 AM
    411 South
    State Capitol​

18. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you. Emails are sent. This is one of those bills that most legislators probably don't have much interest in either way, so any positive YES VOTE feedback from constituents may very well nudge an undecided vote in our favor.

19. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I want to learn more about the bill regarding inspection of our vehicles. Does this bill also suggest that mandatory annual inspections might be on the horizon?

20. I have had a chance to read the bill and I question any inspection by any official office!

These types of inspections were prevalent in the 60's and were so "vague and ambiguous" that it led to MVD-5 and later Chapter trans 305 concerning collector, custom and modified vehicles.

So whenever a bill is proposed with this clause we need to be aware of any and all ramifications as well as collateral damage.

I hope the creators of this Bill can make a few changes so that any reference to vehicles (Which include the Year, Make, and Modifications) that comply to the original Chapter Trans 305 remain autonomous from the "Military Vehicles" titling and registration.

Simple fact... give the Government an inch... they take your ruler!:eek:

As it sits I personally cannot approve the Bill... change a couple things and I think your good to go.:cool:

21. Bob,

I oppose any proposed legislation that suggests vehicle inspection. This legislation has been proposed by two citizens not the legislators.

Wisconsin terminated vehicle inspection in the late 1950's or early 1960's. Huge problems, huge taxpayer costs, minimal positive results. Since then, WisDOT has not shown any interest in promoting a mandatory vehicle inspection program

Can this bill lead to mandatory inspections? We will find out if, the proposed legislation passes.

Question is, do the citizens of Wisconsin want to take the chance that this bill will open the door for future movement towards vehicle inspection? I don't want to take that chance.

More specifically, in the past three years Wisconsin DMV has registered about 40,000 vehicles for the "COLLECTOR" license plate.
    To my knowledge, there have been less than 20 denials. Personally, I know of some of the denials being reversed.

In the past three years WISDMV has registered about 3000 vehicles for the "HOBBYIST" license plate. To my knowledge, there have been less than 15 denials. Personally, I know of some of the denials being reversed.

In the denial instances, some of the denials were in error, some were legally correct. Out of 43,000 registrations, 35 denials is not a HUGE problem or a violation of our "registration rights".

In most instances, if, the vehicle does not qualify for "COLLECTOR" or "HOBBYIST" plates, the vehicle can obtain yearly registration.

Currently, "COLLECTOR" and 'HOBBYIST" registration applications are being approved and processed as usual.

Bottom line is "REGISTRATION RIGHTS" for our types of cars are not being revoked or threatened. This bill does not give us and our types of cars any more registration rights than we already have.

Curt R

22. Thanks Curt and Mark.

23. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

It sounds like it is about collector plates. Vehicles can still be registered as regular vehicles. The reason for collector designation was the State reasoned that collectors don't drive the vehicle very much and may have several vehicles so they give a break on having to pay for registration every year so they could drive them occasionally. People have abused the privilege by registering daily driven rust buckets as collector cars. The State is losing money because they only pay the registration fee one time for the life of the vehicle.

The State is trying to define what a collector car should be. What modifications take it from collector to custom.

There is also a problem with the safety of vehicles being modified.

24. The State isn't loosing money... we just don't want to give them more money or power.

25. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Just remember who runs Illinois.....Chicago politicians.:eek::eek::eek:

26. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I have been very suspicious about the whole military vehicle registration subject in the Statehouse. Curt is right, it is all about two guys and a very small group with similar vehicles. It seems they have the time, money and expertise to successfully get a bill proposed.

But I fear the end result could lead to arbitrary sales tax assessments and now it seems like it could lead to mandatory inspections.

no thank you!

but thanks to Curt for the information and opinion.

27. And all the time he puts in going to Madison and talking it out with state reps. for the past 30 years. Thank-you Curt, I pay attention.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  28. undysworld

undysworld

Okay, as one of the "two guys", I need to chime in. While it is true that both of us guys own military vehicles, and that the owners of military vehicles have gotten the most beat-up from DOT so far, this is about EVERY kind of old vehicle.

We have signatures and support from every segment of the old vehicle owner community - hot-rod, original collectors, street modified, farmers, loggers, SEMA, Historic Vehicle Assoc. (Hagarty), etc.

We are strongly opposed by WisDOT.

Who's side do YOU think we're representing?

The bill doesn't change any existing equipment requirements for any type of vehicle. It only clarifies what ones can be applied to vehicles older than 25 years old. Can your vehicle pass a 2012 equipment inspection? He!! NO!

And READ the bill. This is the actual inspection clause. Skip the small details, and read the bold print:
    "If the department refuses registration of a vehicle based on vehicle requirements, including equipment or condition of the vehicle or documentation relating to the vehicle, the applicant for registration may have the vehicle inspected by any person authorized to conduct inspections under s.342.07"

That means YOU decide if you want them to inspect your vehicle.

This bill DOES NOT give DOT the authority to inspect your vehicle. YOU MAY choose to get the vehicle inspected, if DOT denies your registration. (Currently, your only option is to file an appeal through Wis. Dept. of Admin., and it's a long, tough task. I've done it, and won, so I know. I don't know of another since then that has been won. It's bloody-near impossible.)

This bill gives you more rights, and takes away two of DOT's statutes that allow them to deny registration.

You guys should be supporting this legislation.

29. jazz1

jazz1

Seems to me factions of your government do not recognize the automobile hobbyists as a significant spoke in the multibillion dollar wheel of the automotive industry..

30. I appreciate your efforts however "I will not" support this Bill the way it is written...!

You're close but you really need to re-write it so that it "will not" create collateral damage to the existing legislation.

We went through this learning curve and had to work through many difficult points in the development of Chapter Trans 305... hope you find something that'll work for you!

See you at the State Capitol Building this "Thursday March 8th at 10a.m."!:)