Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. jshell5151

jshell5151

Finally got the Pics uploaded. These are the two pictures of the car I have. Anybody got any info on who the gents in the photo are.

Attached Files:

2. trentesept

trentesept
    from Australia

jjones752, thanks for the reply and the information.
    My car was a Shilala Chev sprinter owned by Floyd Demmitt.
    Floyd was the fuel guy over at the Whiteman Airpark and the car was found there years later in a hanger next to a Pankratz midget.
    I spoke to both Walt James and Jim? Cini about it and both remembered it as well turned out but not worth to s---t as far as perfomance or reliability for one reason or another .Both thought Roy Prosser who was a friend of Floyds had been the driver.
    I would like to be able to confirm that.
    The car was always black with red upholstery and red numbers ,either #98 or #89 they couldn't nail down which.
    Does any body have any information , pictures or programs that this car might be in ?
    I would be very grateful
    Cheerts Greg

3. wynns #1

wynns #1

jshell,
    I remember the car competing with URC in the late 50s and early 60s. The car raced at the N.Y. tracks, especially the Erie County fairgrounds in Hamburg N.Y. The car was always well kept but rarely competitive. I can not remember the owner or driver. I will check my records.

4. In case you've been looking for it, and can't find it- Last years Jan Opperman tribute that I did has been blocked in the USA. So I wwent back made it longer , with different music and added a few clips and pics. Hope you like it

5. racer5c

racer5c

Blocked? Why???

6. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

ditto...

7. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

ATTENTION!!

We are in need of a 270 "Bussel Back" Offenhauser CASE... Bearing webbs, and Gear tower.

We got a couple orders for engines all at once and cleaned our stock out!!

Anyone know of ANYTHING (Cracked, and broke cases are fine!!!) Pm me or CALL!!

Joshua Shaw 513-257-5121

Attached Files:

8. Turns out the version of the 2nd song on the video we did have, tripped the wire on the 'copyrights boobytrap', or at least that's the best way I can put it.

Yewtube is squirelly about those kind of things. They'll block a good song cover, but sometimes not even do anything about a million selling original getting posted. It is a strange maze at times to deal with. The original idea to do a tribute, NEVER turn out to match up with the finished product. Or in my case they don't. Hours and hours of sitting on my duff , failure to get published time and again, UNTIL a version clears- are the norm around here. Then it has to be good enough in my opinion to bother to post. If it doesn't have any magic to it, I don't bother to post.

I don't get paid to do any of it, I just love the challenge of getting this stuff through. ----But it HAS to be our kind of stuff- or there simply is no point for me to even try.

My computer skills, editing skills - are from a strong desire to see and share this stuff with people like us- our stuff! I've gained 80 pounds over the last 5 years! So now the challenge is to get better, faster at editing, making useable decisions, and getting back to being in shape before the computer chair desease tries to kill my health, and keep me out of my supermodified for good:eek:.

To be honest, I don't always like my stuff either, but there are times when the right person, or people "do". Which is why some of my less favorite stuff stay up as well.

The racing world has been kind to me though, and that's made it easier to keep trying.

And of course, Shane Carson tells me to 'man up' when I do get down:cool:.

It's all worth it, and I'll be losing weight before it kills me. Just have to keep adjusting, like we all have to do anyway.

9. I simply have to do a tribute to Jud Larson before it's all over! I have been saving.

Trivia question here- What songs did Jud play on a little kids organ in AJ Watsons driveway one day in the 1960's? He did know how to play a piano and organ, and had the emotional depth to back it up from what I understand.

10. Hawkeyeed

Hawkeyeed

11. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Shipment of fresh MILLER casting came in today.. Looks neat.

----

Attached Files:

12. baldtireman

baldtireman

Where did everybody go? I took a bath and brushed my teeth! Even clean undies....3 days and no posts....... I'm lost........... John S.

13. easter

easter

There usually seems to be a "pause" after Josh posts. It's sort of like the teacher is paying attention to the students and they don't want him to call on them.

14. I think the trouble is,that when Josh sets out a construction photo.....we are all left speechless.........:)

15. kenny g

kenny g

Whiteman was closed, because of noise complaints from the low income
    housing projects,across the street. It was going to be a half mile,with a
    1/4 mile on one end . They only got the 1/4 track in. Turn one was a high
    bankthe rest of it was flat .It was built on the airport.

16. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

Found less pictures from my trip to in Indy 2010, great story about a real craftsmen, Leroy W. Cook. See attachments for the story and his models. enjoy!

Attached Files:

• 99.jpg
      99.jpg
      File size:
      128.3 KB
      Views:
    • 98p.jpg
      98p.jpg
      File size:
      444.7 KB
      Views:
    • 98.jpg
      98.jpg
      File size:
      360.8 KB
      Views:
    • 101.jpg
      101.jpg
      File size:
      297.5 KB
      Views:
    • 102.jpg
      102.jpg
      File size:
      417.7 KB
      Views:
    • 97.jpg
      97.jpg
      File size:
      308.4 KB
      Views:
  17. tcmason

tcmason

What brand wire wheels were used on the 40-50 sprint cars? Is anyone repoping them?

18. Lee.....speechless again........

19. jimg12

jimg12

My Dad had Dayton wire wheels with knock offs on the Southern Star. I still have two of the knock off wing nuts from his car.
    Jim Graybeal

20. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

That was some of the better work done by the Ben Cook shop.
    Better living through chemistry. lol.

21. deuce354

deuce354

I used 16" early Jaguaer wheels on the one I'm building now. Made adaptors to bolt on the model a wheel studs, & used jag knock off hubs

Attached Files:

22. deuce354

deuce354

Meant to use this picture

Attached Files:

23. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

24. Bill Chadbourne

Bill Chadbourne
    from Sonora Ca.

Hi everybody: This is to let anyone who knew Bob Thomas of San Ramon Ca. that he is in the hospital, he has had multiple strokes and now has a blead on his brain ( not expected to come home). He raced Hard tops, Midgets (BCRA and USAC west) and Sprint Cars NARC. He was a Teck. offical for NARC, built numerous race motors, and he and Florie Filipitch built the 255 OFFY that was in The Willard Battery Dirt Car that they sold to Joe Fiore which was traded to Parnelly Jones for a 270 OFFY. Thanks Bill

25. baldtireman

baldtireman

Really nice..... Can I drive???:D

26. wynns #1

wynns #1

Bob is a real class guy, we will pray for him.

27. tcmason

tcmason

Thanks for the help on the wheels. Our car had an Alexander head on a B block
    any ideas where we might locate one?

28. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

By post WW II I believe Dayton and the English Rudge (Rudge Whitworth) were the only viable center lock wire wheels being used in new construction. Rudge licensed others to build their style wheel and that is what a Borrani wheel is which was probably used on the Maserati and Ferrari. These of course would have been widely used in F 1 racing.

The Daytons had the square tooth or Dental Drive whereas the Rudge used a splined hub and wheel center. As power increased and wire wheels incurred some failures, solid splined magnesium wheels were made to replace the Rudge wires, still utilizing the Rudge hubs.

The Rudge wheels and hubs were distributed by Kelsey Hayes in this country.

I don't know if there was any similar update to the Daytons or if the Halibrand Mags with pin drive design basically took over the market going forward.

29. Bill Chadbourne

Bill Chadbourne
    from Sonora Ca.

Hi: Bob Thomas passed away tonight surrounded by his family. Bill

30. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

R.I.P. Bob