Register now to get rid of these ads!

seats with integral seat/shoulder belts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wild Turkey, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

After reading about the accident where the driver's belt failed I happened to notice that my son's convertible had seats with the belts in them.

It's an '06 Dodge --I don't know about others but it would be worth checking. Seats could be recovered, etc with "trad" fabric to save trouble -- and maybe your bod:cool:

2. CruZer

CruZer

The fellow who had the seat and belt break out of his '39 Chevy is a friend of mine. I posted the original thread on his accident.
    He now owns a 37 Ford sedan and is looking for seats with integral belts for this car because of what happened to him. I will be following this thread for him,too.

3. dutch rudder

dutch rudder
    from houston

4. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

Since 99 or so full size chevy trucks have had integrated seat belts. Todd at The Interior Shop tore one appart and relocated the upper part to make it a lowback bucket. I am seriously considering doing this for my rigs. Afterall, you can shape and wrap the seats however you want so you could really make them look like they were ment to be there.

Attached Files:

5. snaptwo

snaptwo

My f-150 has them and they are nice, I just wonder how much "foundation" would need to be added so they wouldn't turn into missles in a collision.

6. Alot of the newer cars/trucks have these seats. When I get there I plan to use one from an F150 in my effie.
    I also plan to beef the floor up.

7. Colonial Coupe

Colonial Coupe

98 or 99 and up Chrysler Sebring convertibles have them. I use them in my 50 but hate the way they look with the high back. I tore one apart but could't find a practical way to move the belt down. I'm thinking of using mini Cooper ragtop shoulder harness setup on my t-bird seats. I just did not want to get into the B pillar to do it.

8. CruZer

CruZer

Those are the ones my buddy is thinking of using if they'll fit width-wise in a '37 Ford sedan.

9. one37tudor

one37tudor

I am sure this is rather obvious but just remember if you are modifying a seat to do this that the back will have to lock to the seat part for them to operate properly.

Scott...

10. Anybody have a link to this thread? I somehow missed it but I'm getting ready to install seatbelts soon so I'd be interested in knowing more.

11. V P Skelly

V P Skelly

On the Sebring seats, be sure to get the controler, and as much of the associated wiring as you can,located under the consol, the belts won't work without power to the seats. Good info here Chrysler Sebring convertible seats

12. CruZer

CruZer

13. I didn't see the article, why did the belts fail?

It hasn't been too long that I saw something about a fella that was ejected along with his seat. But they did note that he was at least wearing his seat belt.

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

In bringing this thread back up I am wondering if these seats could be used in a 36 Tudor sedan.

I'm wondering if the seat back will fold forward for access to the rear seat.

If not are there any seats with the integral seat belt that have the rear seat fold forward for access feature ??

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  15. DoubleJ52

DoubleJ52
    from Belton, MO

Those truck seats don't fold forward for rear access, I believe that all of the GM seats with retractors in them are like that. The Sebring seat should, since it's for a convertible.

16. horizonblue

horizonblue
    from So Cal

Do not think these fold forward, but have the integrated seatbelt.

http://www.wiseguys-seats.com/catalog_featured.html

Do not think they look that great, but does anyone have any experience with these? Might work if they had different foam and upholstery design. Also expensive.

17. Blueone you don't fold that type of seat you slide it forward for passengers to get in and out.

I am not sure that an integral belt in seat would work with a folding seat, it would want to have one helluva latch.

I did read the entire thread that was posted and didn't see one thing about a seat belt failure. I still don't know if the belt failed or just pulled loose from the floor, remember for a seat or a belt to function properly that do have to be securely attached.

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think you are right, we installed a set of those seats in my sons 91 Chev extended cab truck I just can't remember. I'll have to ask him.

I think if you could get a set out of an extended cab truck before they added the rear opening doors then they would have to have the slide forward feature to get at the back.

I'll have to look hard at the junkyard, the GM truck seats with the built in seat belts we installed in his 91 Chev were really comfortable.

19. Shouldn't be too hard to find old pickups in this province:D.

20. You may find some that the entire seat tilts forward in an import truck. I am thinking that a friends Toyota extended cab was that way if I recall. In a smallish car Like an A sedan those may even be a better fit.

21. dutch rudder

dutch rudder
    from houston

a 2000-2006 BMW 3 series convertible has folding seats with seatbelt in them.

2004-2010 6 series convertible does too.

22. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

I'm not sure about the seat belts being as secure as bolted to the floor, but OEM seems to be OK with it, comments??

23. dutch rudder

dutch rudder
    from houston

yea. seats with belts in them were DESIGNED TO BE THAT WAY.

when i pull a seat out of a BMW, they are bolted down with 10x1.5mm bolts, that are in some THICK reinforced metal.

when you put them in cars that WERE NOT, and expect sheetmetal that may be old/thin/poorly supported to work the same, it wont work out well.

24. i have this because of a broken shoulder belt [​IMG] so lets see what happens in this thread...

25. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Not quite the same, but mid to late 90's Jeep Grand Cherokees have one end of the seat beat attached to the seat riser and are pretty neat. The other end attaches to the floor like any other belt. Seems like a good setup

26. dutch rudder

dutch rudder
    from houston

that super sucks you had to go thru that injury man-

but *how* did that shoulder belt break? seat belts have a minimum strength of like 1500-2000 lbs or some crazy amount.

i have seen wreckers when i was hookin' pull cars out of ditches and ponds using seat belts.... when they finish the pull, they cut the belts.

27. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

It should go without saying but some guys get in a hurry and don't think things through sometimes. If you've purchased a turn key car take the time to look over the mounting points for the belts and seats very closely. A 3/8" Grade 8 bolt will shear through a 18 gauge sheet metal floor faster than you can say meat wagon. Sheet metal screws even faster! This becomes ultra important if your running the seat with the belt incorporated into it. Mounting points for seats and Anchor points for belts is one of those things you need to do right! If it looks sketchy at all get it fixed!

You wouldn't believe some of the stuff that I see here. Flat ass scary! :eek: In some cases no belts at all would be better, At least that way your more careful because you know there is no protection. Some guys are just clueless, Don't be one of them! :cool:

pat59 likes this.
  28. 48ford

48ford

I have the seats out of a full size chevy truck in our 46 ford.
    They fit good,and they tilt forward so people can get in the back.
    Later Russ

29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Year of truck ? Seat belts built into seats ? Mounting points strong enough ? Pictures ?

30. oldtruckadmirer

oldtruckadmirer

1999-2006 GMC/Chevrolet standard cab trucks should tilt forward for access behind the seat. The ones in my 03 work truck do. This is not the "classic"(1988-99 and a half, but the newer body style that followed).

My Brother in laws Envoy(Trailblazer body style ) also has integral belts in them, but not sure if they tilt forward since it is a four door.

I would seriously consider reinforcing the floor pans where the seats mount up, as they are pretty well engineered in my truck from the factory.