Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1950 buick gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by round head, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. round head

round head

hi has anyone seen a 1950 buick gasser? i just started to turn my buick in to a gasser. Every 50 buick has been lowred thats why desided to make a gasser after all that i might run a turbo on the strat 8 dont no if it will help but worth a try .

2. Chuck Carman

Chuck Carman

Sounds good to me, I like doing the opposite of what everybody else does. And any old Buick would make a good gasser to me.

3. No, haven't seen one (there's a reason for this).
    I love the old Buicks, like the '49-'51 Mercs, both make great customs..but Gassers..really?
    One thing for sure, you'd be the only kid on the block with one.
    Dare to be different.

4. captmullette

captmullette

do it, love them gassers

5. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Have alot of fun with that. Cant wait to see the build thread.
    Probably cut enough metal outta there to fund the project when ya lighten it up.
    Just because it hasnt been done dosent mean ya cant fly, Orville.

6. Really? There is a reason everyone lowers them and makes them kustoms. This gasser thing is getting to be a bit much.

7. round head

round head

well how it all come about was the axle in the back yard saying find a use for me lol and i always like gassers so thats when i came up with this weird idea. trust me i got alot of freinds sying why because im diffrent and like to be different

8. round head

round head

im doing this from my phone so tonight hopfully i can get some pics on

9. round head

round head

I got pics on team buick under same screen name there on the garige fourm

10. rrayne

rrayne

it just does not seem logical. 50 buicks weigh between 3600 and 4200 pounds. thats 600 to 1000 lbs more than a chevy or ford. you have never seen one because no one has thought it would be a good idea.

im all about do what you want. i just hope its not a good 50 buick hardtop that you just so happen to get a great deal on or given to you and you have some need to be really really different.

once a month i have to travel out of state. and every time i have to drive right buy a 1930 5 window coupe that has been made into a 4x4. WHY would anyone want to do that?

11. BJR

BJR

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should! I've never seen a Cadillac hearse gasser either, and there is a reason why.

12. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Gassers are all about maximum motor in a minimum car.
    Buick didn't make minimum cars.

13. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Hearse gasser?????????????????? NOW YA GOT SUMTHIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Andamo

Andamo

It may not have been a Buick, but Dave Koffel had a lot of success with a 4200# Packard in the Gas class. You have to remember cars were classified by cubic inches to weight in the Gas class.

15. MISTER TWISTER

MISTER TWISTER

I was just gunna say "The Flintstone Flyer" awesome and famous car in this area..

16. rustang

rustang

Build it, dare to be different.... just because it may not have been done back in the day (and it could have because it was classed as HP/WT) doesn't mean you can't build one now... sounds like a fun project.
    Tom

17. round head

round head

the car is in very good shape and i bought it off the orginal owner. Thats the best part

18. round head

round head

I think it must be the water here in shapleigh or it could be the fact of the 5 kids and wife. lol boardem dose some wonderful things

19. round head

round head

20. round head

round head

21. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Build it. It's your car, who cares if anyone else likes it, as long as you do.

MitchellDemoor--your 56 would sure make a good Gasser.

BJR -- Just because it hasn't been done yet doesn't mean it shouldn't.

Greaser815 -- Because you don't agree I guess we should all just stop what we're doing and conform to your standards.

You guys need to get real. The hot rodding world doesn't revolve around you and your idea of what should or shouldn't be.

22. I guess it depends on your definition of a "gasser", if you mean a mud bogger with slicks then no I have never seen one. If you mean a traditional style gass coupe/sedan than yes I have.

Big and heavy probably run in like D or E gas with the straight 8. If you boost it then you would move up to a blown gas class.

Hell I'd do it. I am building a car that is normally found among the salt flats types into a gas coupe/sedan car. But it was a blown gas coupe before I got it so I am not the only odd duck on the block. ;)

I think if you are serious then you should consider setting the engine back a bit, if you go you should always go all the way.

23. round head

round head

well the axle is all in now i got to move to the steering and brakes lol fun fun

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

IIRC, didnt a Buick win F or H/G at the '62 US nats? or maybe runner-up? I will see if I can find that when I get home. That having been said, none of the HAMB "gasser" guys would even recognize the car I am thinking of as a "gasser", and this is just one more dumb-ass "gasser" thread in a long list of dumb-ass gasser threads. But I will try to find and post that pic when I get home, just for the sake of historical accuracy. Not that historical accuracy has ANYTHING to do with 98% of the "gasser" threads on the HAMB...

Oh, and rustednutz and Mullethead, I already know just how DEEPLY this post will offend you, so save your ire. And you guys probably shouldn't even LOOK at the pic when I post it. Its not gonna be jacked up 3' in the air, have a moon tank in the grill or faux spindle mounts on the front...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  25. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Hey, pbr -- Revell had a model of a Stude gasser just like yours. I think it was called "Miss deal". Loved that model.

26. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Holy Crap!
    A front leafspring, rear coilspring, 2+ Ton, 4 Dr Gasser with a straight 8.

27. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

A big old heavy '49 Packard won E/G in 1962 with a SBC in it. Checked 1955-'68 records for National Champs and couldn't find a Buick, but lots of other heavy cars in the "E/G thru H/G " classes.
    This obviously isn't lighter than the '50 Buick.
    [​IMG]

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Pretty sure it was H. I was thinking it might have runnered-up to Koffel in E at first, but I have been thinking about it for the last few minutes, pretty sure it was H. '40 sedan if memory serves, but I could have the model year wrong. Pics at 11.

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That was an AWB car. That means its not a gasser. I know, I know, "gasser" is a state of mind...:rolleyes:

30. round head

round head

I like gassers and its my car so i really am not concered what really any one thinks about it I happen to like it so far. I like to be different lol ha ha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.