Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sensor question - 12volt system 6volt gauges

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.D., Jul 17, 2010.

1. J.D.

J.D.
    from Clovis, CA

I have a 12 volt Ron Fransis wire harness/panel in my 41 Ford and have my original gauges running off a 6 volt step down. I need to know what oil temp sensor and coolant temp sensor to run, 12 volt or 6 volt? I am running a 351w if it matters.

Thanks

2. J.D.

J.D.
    from Clovis, CA

3. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Have had good luck with Ron Francis phone support, give them a call.

4. J.D.

J.D.
    from Clovis, CA

I didn't even think of that

5. ronfrancis

ronfrancis

If you are keeping original gauges, you need a VR1 electronic voltage reducer listed in our catalog. It will do the all the gauges except the ammeter which does not need a reducer. Mechanical gauges only need 12 volt bulbs. You must use original sender with the old gauge. The sender and gauge must be from the same manufacturer, voltage, etc. In other words you cannot put a 12 volt sender in a tank and keep a stock 6 volt or 12 volt gauge.

REVERSED POLARITY

Reversed polarity is not a problem. We have never seen a 6 volt gauge that you could not simply hook up to our reducer and be fine. A positive ground radio is mentioned below.
    Hope this helps,
    Ron Francis
    www.ronfrancis.com

6. J.D.

J.D.
    from Clovis, CA

Okay so I have your voltage reducer set up on my gauges now. Next step would be to get original oil temp and coolant temp sensors that came on my flathead before I swapped to my small block Ford and then hook them up strait to my fuse box. Correct?

7. marks914

marks914
    Alliance Vendor

Senders work on resistance, not volts so they should be fine as long as oyu step down the gauges themselves
    Mark

8. navypainter

navypainter

What about a SBC with 40 ford gauges? Do I have to get an original 40 ford temp and oil pressure sending unit and make it fit in the SBC to make the gauges work? Did I bite off a little more than I can chew...

9. Any help with Navypainters question?

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Think of the gauge and the sender as a matched set. If you change the voltage you are just giving the gauge system the correct voltage to work on. If you have a 52 Henway gauge then you need a 52 Henway sending unit. Then you need to supply the correct 52 Henway voltage for the set to work correctly. It makes no difference what engine the gauge is connected to....supply the set with the correct voltage and they will read correctly.