Register now to get rid of these ads!

A Rat rod is one thing but!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bdotson, Jan 29, 2012.

1. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

2. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

Tail-dragger for sure, full skirts, notched frame, soooo much potential!!! Look real hard at avitar above, LedSledMerc has got it ALL goin' on.

Fabreeze REALLY does work...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  3. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Please tell me the original front end did not go to the scrap yard! I have a 38 coupe I have owned and been driving since 1974. Its seen a couple of transformations. now it has Mustang II front, versailes rear, sbc, 700r4, tilt, PS, PB, you name it. I'd like to UNstreetrod it now and take it back to its basics. Wanna sell that front axle?
    [​IMG]

4. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Your '38 is going to be sharp. Those have such great lines and yours looks really solid! Good luck with your build and share more pics if you can. That 216 will come back to life long enough to build whatever you'd like to throw in there.

BTW: Rodents must like these old Chevys :) My '47 had a mouse party for about 36 years. I'm glad you wore a mask...its the right thing to do. Hantavirus is a killer!

[​IMG]

5. bdotson

bdotson
    from texas

I hate having to work on saturday but I am glad to have a job so. I got a late start on the chevy this afternoon but got a little done. tore the control arms off for sand blast and new ball joints and bushings be here wed.[​IMG] since i am at a stand still I will get started on the t5 [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] and now its a short t5 [​IMG] now lets do something with the steering column [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] now lets put er in the mill and cut a key way [​IMG] now I need to repair the horn contacts and now I am finished with the column wow!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  6. I just gagged... had cars with mice problems but nothing that bad!

7. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

that is a cool machine bdotson,,
    a person can do miracles if they know what they're doin,
    and it looks like you do,
    looking forward to the next tidbit..
    wish you lived closer,:D
    wish i had a machine like that,:p:cool:

8. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Looks like it was a rat buriel ground! I'll take it!!!!!!

9. bdotson

bdotson
    from texas

I really enjoy having my own machine tools at home in my shop makes things go a lot faster. :D

10. so may I ask what going on with the throut bearing collar , what mods if any are you doing

11. so_dak_kid

so_dak_kid

glad your taking it from "rat tastic" to "rod tastic"

12. johnod

johnod

Nice find.
    37-38 chevy coupe one of my favorites.

13. bdotson

bdotson
    from texas

Yea I shortened the throw out collar 1 inch as well as the tip where it goes in the pilot bushing also need a 1/4 spacer between the bellhousing and the transmission.

14. austinhunt

austinhunt

Ed Roth would be proud!

15. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

38 chevy new 2.jpg god i hate you! well no not really, awesome car i really dig it. I have a love affair with 38 chevys, My coupe is a summer daily (wisconsin winters suck!)

16. Put a rat back in it

17. Giovanni

Giovanni

at least the rats only chew the front brake lines ;-P

18. racer756

racer756

Great thread! I look forward to seeing it back on the road.

19. bdotson

bdotson
    from texas

Well I am starting on the second week. got the news today that I have to work overtime for the next two weeks at least as well as work saturdays. That makes my goal of one month hard to reach but I am still trying. Got on it this afternoon when I got home installed the new rack and pinion and set the old motor back in to see what I have to do to fab up some new front mounts thanks to the rack being in the way?? its never easy hope to get that finished tomorrow night [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] :)

20. Chuck Most

Chuck Most
    from Saskatoon

Holy shit!
    You know there's actually a market for mummified animals- put those things up on eBay and you might get back some of your investment. You never know, people are weird...

21. Especially if one of the rodents looks like Elvis!!!!:eek::eek::D

22. bdotson

bdotson
    from texas

Well my build has slowed for the last few days. I am sad to say that my wifes dad passed away wed morning after a long illness. He was not a big car guy however he was very supportive of anything I did. He never saw this car but saw pictures of it and asked me how the build was coming each time he saw me. He will be missed. My brother in law came in and we slipped out to the shop for a few hours yesterday to get out of the house. We got a lot done installing the front coil springs and strut rods as well as fabing the front motor mounts. I will have some pictures later. We also plan to try and get a few hours in this eavning update to come later Buddy.:(

23. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Sorry to hear it, but glad your FILis no longer suffering.

-Dave

24. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Nice car, I've always liked a chevy six with a split manifold and dual glass packs, run the 216 until it dies and replace it with a later inserted motor.

25. SteveWood

SteveWood

If it really smells bad you can put fresh coffee grounds all over and later clean that out,it USUALLY takes out the bad and leaves the smell of coffee.
    Steve

26. bdotson

bdotson
    from texas

Got in a few hours this morning. I got the frontend finished with tires on it so it will roll again I set the fenders on it so I could see how it was going to fit the wheel openings and see what the ride height was. I wanted the ride hight to look stock like it had not been touched. What do you think I think its pretty close. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

27. I'da just drove the "shit" outa it.

28. Griznant

Griznant

Awesome progress!

Subscribed.

Here's a pic of my grandpa and his first "real" car, a '38 Chevy sedan:[​IMG]

This pic was taken in February of '39, and I hope to be able to recreate this pic someday myself.

Being able to share this experience with your dad is fantastic!

Good luck!

29. bdotson

bdotson
    from texas

I would have loved to,however 4.10 rearend with no OD and babbit rod engine not going to allow that in todays traffic. Not to mention there were no brakes holes in the fuel tank as well as the radiator. My plan is to drive it a lot.
    Griznant: I think the ride hight of your grandpas car is close to this one thanks for the picture. Sunday will be 2 weeks I have worked on this car. I have had some setbacks but still hope to have it on the road with in 30 days.

30. bdotson

bdotson
    from texas

And then her whole rearend came out!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]