Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rescued a '37 Chevy PU

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lobucrod, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I ran acroll this 1937 Chevy PU on CL a while back and just had to save it from further harm. It was sitting on an S10 frame, yep just sitting on it. Couple if PO's had given up on it. Luckly i got a decent original frame with the deal and a box full of new pieces for the steering and shackles. Heres a pic of the leglected party as it followed me home.
    [​IMG]

Here's a pic showing it on the s-10 frame. What a mismatch. Had to strap everything together and down cause it is a real basket case. Doors stuck on with big nails for hinge pins etc....
    [​IMG]

First and most important part of the build.......getting it off of the s10 frame.
    [​IMG]

Cab really isn't in to bad a shape. One of the PO's had actually put it together out of two cabs. Best PO work I've seen on it so far. Separated it where the top and bottom of the A pilars telescope together and where the side rails of the floor bolt together in the front. No rust in the lower cab or on the belt line and no extra holes in the firewall.
    [​IMG]

Put the original frame up on some sawhorses and started putting pieces on it. Frame had been sand blasted painted. Another plus. Sorry for the clutter, dang shop gets small quick when you take a car apart in it.
    [​IMG]

Cab on the frame for some mockup and have the new shackle pins, bushings, drag link and tie rod ends installed. Used some parts I had laying around so put some bendix brakes on the 37 spindles. Used 55-59 PU backing plates and spacers, 51-54 passenger hubs and drums.
    [​IMG]

Hung a 100 dollar 4x4 s10 (gritting teeth) rear under it. (Sorry i have this s10 thing).
    [​IMG]

now heres where it think it starts to get cool. Bought this 70 postal jeep total rust bucket a while back just for the 153 4 banger. Motor turned out to be good and tight. The way we all like em eh. (pay not attention to the mockup 2x4 and eye bolt motor mounts!) Hey maybe I will be able to pass a gas station with this one. Oh and its backed up by a T5 from.......yeah i know.............an s10.
    [​IMG]

Better post this page. Sometimes I click the wrong button and loose crap before posting it. Hate when that happens!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  2. Doug B

Doug B

Good save. This will be a fun build to watch...lovin the 4 banger! Keep the updates coming.

3. ARTSWRK

ARTSWRK

Cool! Fenders?

4. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Got the fenders with it. Time will tell on them. Just peicing it together as I go.

Got the motor mounts built. Rubbers are body mounts a friend turned me onto, and used a rear xmember (not pictured) another buddy gave me. second gen camaro fit right in between the frame rails with about 1/4" to spare on each side.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Its a roller. sure hope I can score some better tires and wheels soon. (these came from the forementioned dredded s10)
    [​IMG]

Heres the T5 and early Nova bell housing. Picked up a clutch/brake pedal assembly at a swap meet about a year ago that looked easy to install, think it came out of a late 40ish ford. I'll have to get a better pic of that.
    [​IMG]

Thought I'd throw in another engine pic.
    [​IMG]

5. Looking great! I love these years of chevy pick ups

6. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Way cool, and definitely a different direction to go.
    I like it.
    Good for you.
    Cheers..............

7. Good score.
    You are doing the right thing for that truck.
    Not sure the 4 banger will have long enough legs for the overdrive though.
    I'll keep watching to find out.

8. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Looks like a real cool project.

9. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

a good score , and it looksl ike a nice job o the rebuild , i try and use whats kicking about for parts also , cant wait to see it farther along

10. lawman

lawman

Nice start. Keep posting !!!!

11. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

This is gonna be a cool little truck . keep it simple.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  12. Helilog56

Helilog56

Awesome find and project.... Just remember, when you hack up an S-10, it's one less on the road...!!!!?!

13. Good job on that. I like the 4-cyl engine choice. Should be fine for putting around. The cab and sheetmetal look great condition.

My old 37 Chevy truck had a Must II fornt and the std 350/350. Almost any rearend will work in these, mine had a 57 Chevy car rear and worked fine with 3.08 gears. It was my daily driver and I drove it everywhere. Still miss that truck.

14. rustang

rustang

Neat save on an old truck....looks better on the original frame... :)
    Tom

15. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I wanted to lower this truck with out sacrificing leg room or suspension travel so instead of channeling or removing leafs I decided to go the Zee route. It sits pretty high in its stock form.
    [​IMG]

So got out the combo square and soap stone and drew some lines on it.
    [​IMG]

Hot knife time. A little snip ship here, a little snip snip there
    [​IMG]

Get out the mig and put it all back together
    [​IMG]

6 inches closer to the ground now.
    [​IMG]

16. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

going fenderless?

17. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

I like it. I've built several old trucks with 4cyl Ranger engines. Great for cruising around town cheaply. Just don't get in a hurry on the freeway if you have to pull a hill, or if it's windy. The trucks I've built have all had 5 speeds, and they work well. Good luck with your project.

18. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

See post #4

19. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Luv those Chevy trucks!!! Nice work man!! Actually all Chevy cars too:D

20. Awesome job so far..

21. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Keep up the good work, gonna watch this one.

22. Never mind the truck, thank god you saved those rims!;)

23. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Since I zeed the frame 6" I had to raise up the bed floor the same amount. I had some 2" square and rectangular tubing laying around so I used them for the cross members and some 1x1 angle around the sides and front. Oh yeah and gas tank is a $15 stainless steel swap meet find.
    [​IMG]

Looks like bed depth is going to be just about right.
    [​IMG]

24. Old Roadster

Old Roadster

Nice save, sold a 38 chevy truck and still miss it.
    Easy trucks to work on.

25. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

The parts that attach to the Bed sides/stake pockets that the chains attach to and have the holes for the hooks are missing. I would greatly appreciate it if someone with one of these trucks could take a close up pic is this area so I can have something to go by to make some that look close to original.

26. afaulk

afaulk

I always like it when someone does a job this way. Good work!

27. 60 ford

60 ford

28. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

any updates?...really like the banger/5-speed choice.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. raymay

raymay

Nice choice for a rescue. I always had a soft spot for 37's and did a rescue of my own several years ago. Good luck.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      348.3 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      150.8 KB
      Views:
    • 42.jpg