Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steven C

Steven C
    from Tennessee

[​IMG]

Nashville
    Photograph of kiosk for selling war bonds, circa 1942

2. Steven C

Steven C
    from Tennessee

[​IMG]

Nashville - celebrating the end of WW II in the Pacific - September 2, 1945

3. Steven C

Steven C
    from Tennessee

[​IMG]

Nashville, Tn 1957 - Sixth Avenue North at Union Street

4. Steven C

Steven C
    from Tennessee

[​IMG]

Nashville
    1960 - Spot Tavern and Cartwright's Diner

5. Steven C

Steven C
    from Tennessee

[​IMG]

More than 850,000 soldiers were in 22 counties in Middle Tennessee doing maneuvers between 1941 and 1944 before the Normandy Invasion

6. Steven C

Steven C
    from Tennessee

7. The Swastika was a symbol used by many ancient civilizations around the world including American Indians before Hilter adopted it for the Nazi Party.

8. Steven C

Steven C
    from Tennessee

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soldiers recover a tank from the Cumberland River Oct. 19, 1942 after it sank during an attempted crossing. U.S. Army Signal Corps photo, National Archives

9. Steven C

Steven C
    from Tennessee

[​IMG]

Soldiers at Cumberland University during World War II.

[​IMG]

Sherman tanks move across a heavy pontoon bridge near Rome, Tenn., August 14, 1943.

[​IMG]

Shelbyville residents watch as soldiers of the 108th Infantry Regiment, 27th Infantry Divsion, march through Shebyville in 1941.

10. Steven C

Steven C
    from Tennessee

[​IMG]

Soldiers examine the wreckage of a WACO-G4 glider after it crashed June 4, 1943 near Lafayette

[​IMG]

A U.S. Army messenger crosses Bradly Creek on a motorcycle Nov. 4, 1942.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Steven C

Steven C
    from Tennessee

The Beautiful Carole Landis

12. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back then, the "Galloping Gooses" were a more feared group than the "Angels"

13. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guess he was proud to be a WWII Air Raid Warden!!

14. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jantzen & Catalina made a fortune on these one piece swimsuits---Until the Bikini made its debut!!

15. swi66

swi66

16. swi66

swi66

17. swi66

swi66

18. swi66

swi66

19. Fool Injection

Fool Injection

Apologies for any re-posts here...

20. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by leon renaud [​IMG]
    I did think you meant it as a joke yes, And yes the Native symbol was reversed infact I think Hitler reversed the earlier version as the symbol to use as his swastika and to be honest I couldn't tell which was which side by side now but I could tell them apart on sight at one time.I didn't mean to be a wise ass or anything but I have german relatives and the "history lesson" was intended more as for the younger generations that aren't even learning this history or learning some messed up history. I can't tell you how many times my daughter in law has been asked if she is a NAZI! She is mid 20s and was born in Georgia!
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Leon, thanks, man, for the post.;) You are indeed right that ONE of THE most worthwhile and worthy things we do on this thread is supplying historical info and commentary that dramatically increases the value of the whole thread. In other words, it ain't just a picture show. I honestly feel that this is one reason the thread is SO popular -- and to a pretty broad audience.:D Look at the star rating and the page, post and view counts. Wow.:)

To that end, before we leave the swastika (a Sanskrit term) topic for posterity, here's a site that -- on one detailed page -- explains the complexity of the origins of this symbol and, more importantly, dispels a lot of myth! :rolleyes: The symbol was in wide popular use (a real plethora, not limited to the Spirit of St. Louis:cool:, the U.S. Boeing P-12 plane:cool:, Boy Scout troops and girls' clubs, on and on), until Hitler appropriated it :mad: in 1932 as the Nazi Party symbol (and, no, folks, he didn't steal it from the American Indian but from the Mideast or Far East). Hitler's BS was pretty typical of Hitler's general behavior. Ha, ha. But it also performed a disservice to every other culture that revered it as a symbol of positive (even mystic, religious, lucky, etc.) themes. To display it in ANY manner today in the West is to invite ridicule or even attack. That's is a damn shame, brought on by a racist madman bent on revenge for Germany's loss and economic impacts of the Treaty of Versailles.

[​IMG]
    1917, a SPAD of the American-piloted Lafayette Escadrille. The Nazi Party wouldn't
    even EXIST for 15 years yet.

[​IMG]
    Boeing P-12 F-4B, 1929 to 1932

The ridiculous business about a "Georgia-born Nazi" is, perhaps, an example of informational perversion at its worst.:rolleyes: I'd chuckle, except it isn't funny in the least.:( Hundreds of thousands of Americans with some German heritage fought the Hun in WWI and fought Hitler in WWII. So, merely having German-sounding name is no excuse for anyone today to draw insulting generalizations. What a world!

Here's that informative link. Thanks again for what turned out to be an air-clearing discussion:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/440/was-the-swastika-actually-an-old-native-american-symbol

[​IMG]

21. automaticslim

automaticslim
    from new jersey

Good historical info, Jimi. Thanks, man.

22. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Well, I didn't want to get off on a tangent. But I resent that a stupid, bloody, racist dictator -- dead 67 years -- still has something of a grip on a positive symbol that had existed, in many far-flung cultures, for many centuries. Old Adoph was put in his proper place. Maybe it's about time we TAKE BACK the swastika and restore it to its proper place of honor.

The stubborn people of Swastika, Ontario, never did give in to Hitler.;) They would NOT allow ANYONE to take away their identity. And I don't give a rat's posterior what neo-nazis, wanna-be nazis or any other self-appointed nazis care to do. They're not the boss-O-me, and I don't need no thought-control. :D
    <!-- / message -->

23. Jagman

Jagman

[​IMG]
    Yes, but when did Indiana become a country?

24. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

Every time I go through that tunnel, and the others on the PA Turnpike, I try to imagine what an effort it had to have been build back in that time period. Mind boggling.

25. HenryJGuy

HenryJGuy
    from Dayton, TN

Cool shot of Crossville...it's an hour from where I live and it still looks exactly the same as that picture.

26. swi66

swi66

27. swi66

swi66

28. Here's Banff in 1887
    [​IMG]

Banff 1964 ish
    Banff today
    [​IMG]

29. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I'll be danged!!!-----Mountain hasn't changed a bit!!!!

30. A few tourism posters from 1936:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.