Register now to get rid of these ads!

1 Ton to 1/2 Ton truck ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RockyT, Feb 5, 2012.

1. RockyT

RockyT
    from Tx

Hey guys , not sure if this is the place to post this but cant find a answer. I have a deal on a 1 ton 36 ford truck , no bed and rear fenders. But I was wanting to know if I buy this can i make this look as a 1/2 ton with just body parts? Still a noob and any info will help alot . Thanks everyone for any help you can give .

2. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I believe the cab is the same

3. David Chandler

David Chandler

You may find that the 1 ton wheels and tires won't fit right, with 1/2 ton fenders. I'm not sure about that year but on model AA's the wheels and tires looked a lot taller to me.

4. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Are you sure it is a 1 ton and not a ton and a half? There are some differences in the fenders, larger openings. The grille is also a little taller. Cabs and hoods are the same. There are also differences in the steering box and pitman arm. I have not actually seen a 1 ton. I have had several pickups and ton and a halfs.

5. RockyT

RockyT
    from Tx

I would change out the rear with something new, and change out the spindels for smaller tires on the front . Maybe swap out the frame with a s10 not sure . I wasnt sure if the fenders of a 1/2 ton would bolt up and the lines fit well with a new bed . Not sure if I should just look for a 1/2 ton and go from there .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  6. RockyT

RockyT
    from Tx

The guy said it was a 1 ton but I dont know how to tell from a pic just what it is.

7. alanwoodieman

alanwoodieman

after looking at the pictures, I believe the truck is actually a 38/39 and called a "Tonner", first year for the tonner-I have a 41 Tonner with a stake bed, which yours had-notice short running boards. round "horse collar" grill in 1st picture-hood side panels in second picture. A ford pick up 9" rear axle from the late 50,s to middle 70's is a easy bolt in. Can change out front brakes for 48-64 ford pu front brakes, you may have to change spindles-not sure. wheelbase is 122"

8. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

If fords are like chevys the 1 ton has the same body as a 1/2 ton. Working on what I was told was a 1954 1 ton ford truck and it looks like a 1 ton except longer and he has big stupid wheels on it.

9. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

You should find a 35-40 car or 1/2 ton truck frame. They can be had realitivelly inexpensively. The cab should bolt right to it, And with the car or pick up suspension it won't ride like a whaet truck. Big trucks are fine if you want a big truck... You will probablly be much happier swapping frames.. Dude Your in texas! Look at hay wagons, propane trailers, A lot of old fords were converted into steeriable trailers - And that is where you can find a fairly cheap and complete . Trust me 2 out of 3 frames I come up with are trailers. And as a pluss they will be in better shape than one from under a car thats been sitting. In fact I think tere was a ommerical kit to convert old fords into trailers. I have torn apart several that had the exact same hitches, and they did not look homemade,.

10. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

After looking at your pictures it is definitely a 38 or 39. The fenders are larger, and the grille is about an inch and a half longer.

11. Id keep it a 1 ton, but that's me, either way that looks like a lot of work to get to something nice.. you could also just take the cab and front fenders and put them on something else. just an idea..

12. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

where is the rest of the Model T ?