Register now to get rid of these ads!

My boy's first car. He chose a shoebox ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by northerndave, Aug 31, 2011.

1. shoebox50

shoebox50

Great score! Have fun with your son putting it back on the road.

2. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

Very cool album, thanks. I see you list a 69 roadrunner in your sig line? I post non hamb-ishly over on b-bodiesonly, I have a 69 RR as well.

My RR sits 3/4 finished in my shop, I need to finish it so we can slide the shoebox in there.

3. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

51' Shoebox....An excellent choice:D

4. Turbos10

Turbos10
    from Texas

Great pick for a project. My Dad helped me restore my first truck, a 57 Chevy, 20 years ago. I kept it until last year and ended up doing a two part trade for the 51 in my avatar. He'll remember it forever and probably be hooked for a lifetime like I am :).

5. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Always popular, they still look cool.

Attached Files:

6. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Looks pretty sweet!

7. yeah my 69 rr is availible so i can finace my ford habit i post over on moparts from time to time

8. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

I figured out from searches here that my floppy dist rotor was due to a missing spring clip that basically shims the flat side of the D shaft tightening up the fit of the rotor (so it fits nice and tight like any other rotor).

I didn't have the clip so I made a little shim for now to substitute for the clip. No more drifting timing.

Nate and I took the car out on the road (country rural area) and headed towards henryj429's house (It's a traditional ritual for me to do this with unroadworthy rolling junk)

But we had enough after a few miles as the exhaust coming up through the floors was too much for the wing windows to compete with for fresh air.

But on the way home we had a good stretch of road to put a load on the flatty and make it pull it's own junk down the road. The smoking issue is definately clearing up with the engine tuned in a little better and possibly with a little cylinder pressure to help reseat some rings maybe?? I dont know but it's clearing up nice and I'm glad. I might not be in such a hurry to crack the flatty open for surgery now.

There are other priorities such as brakes, electrical, interior, glass, metal repair, body/paint, tires, exhaust, brakes again (front disc upgrade), some droppage... Yeah as long as the engine hauls it down the road and doesn't smoke like a bug bomb I'm going to leave it alone aside from basic tune up/shine/paint stuff.

why is rolling junk so damn much fun?

9. don daddyo

don daddyo

Here 's mine to get some more idea...!!!

imageshack.us

10. don daddyo

don daddyo

11. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

My daughter is 3 and my son is 2, and I'm already stoked about building a car with them in the future. My son was trying to climb into my 55 panel the other day, begging me to go to grandma's in it. He saw it drive once and he's convinced it's ready to go.

12. 1955 LEDSLED

1955 LEDSLED
    from LONG BEACH

you guys scored. you and your son will have a great time building that ford.

13. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

Me and my boy made it up to henryj429's house today with the 51 ford. Nice cruise through the country, one straight pipe dumping out in front of the passenger side back tire, no brakes... Lovely.

The flatty is running so nice.

Good to see you and your fam today Larry, the stude is beyond cool and we'll be back for shoebox parts from your parts car.

14. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

Nice!

what have you got going on for ride height mods?

15. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Digging up an old thread, I know, but that's SWEET! :cool:

My dad bought the car in my avatar as a basket case in 1973 for $50 (I was 5). I didn't get many chances to help him fix it up (folks were divorced) but I did get into it with him from time to time. He gave it to me for good when I was 17, and I've had it since. I'm about to pull the engine and rebuild it as a mild street custom.

Not at all! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdFm1b_61VI:D

16. ytt49

ytt49
    from socal

congrats to you and your son.
    looks like you guys have a great base for the build.
    have fun

17. ijuslikefords

ijuslikefords

When I was a kid, there used to be a '50 Ford coupe sitting next to an old Ice Cream joint in a little no-red-light town called Waterford in PA. I used to dream about running around in that car with a big 460 hummin, windshield viser down low, all black with the glasspacks barkin against the trees running down RT30 at night heading to the Shopping Center to cruise. The '50 disappeared long before I was of driving age, but hope I might still finish the dream someday after the current projects are done.
    All the luck to you and your son with the build.

18. whiskerz

whiskerz
    from Ga.

19. Fantastic double save! The Ford from the fields and your son from the tuner cars! The car in my avatar is the same story as yours. Dad brought it home and WE worked on it together. I was ten, that was 1968, and I still have that old beasty. It is NOT for sale at any price. Maybe my grandaughter will take my ashes graveside in it.

20. D-man313

D-man313

[QUOTE
    What have you got for a truck? Got a link for a post that might show the truck?[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the really late response.

1949 Chevy 5 window pickup.

More pics in my album

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  21. churchboy

churchboy

My first car was also a 51 ford custom. I got it from my uncle in 1973 and still have it out in the barn. My dad and uncle had it rigged up so it wouldn't go over 50 mph, I figured that out real quick. I had it about 6 months and ripped 1st gear out of it. My first dealing with a transmission. I hope you all have as much fun with yours as I did with mine. Great find, have fun. Thanks for bringing back my memmories:).

22. Young_Thiel

Young_Thiel

My dad bought my first car, a 1950 Shoebox, and we rebuilt it together. Definitely some of the best memories I have are working on cars with him. You guys are going to have a ton of fun with it. Good luck!

23. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

that shoebox is a great find. looks like it stayed on the farm and didn't see a lot of salt in the winter. points rotor and condenser shouldn't be too hard to find--way- back- when a set for the falcon/comet (144-170-200 engine) was the one that worked. probably not real available these days, though. bought my first shoebox in st. marys mo. back in 75. it ran on 7 cylinders and had about 180 degrees of slop in the steering. drove it home to st. louis and sure had fun navigating those crowned roads! good luck.

24. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

another thought, dave--you pull the overdrive handle out to go to 3-speed mode;pushing it in engages the od. that solenoid probably ain't workin after all these years, tho. something you should know is to never back the car up with od engaged or you'll tear it up. lots of good info on them on line. and your 8rt is a 239 like the sedan. 8cm is the one with the 4" stroke.