Register now to get rid of these ads!

Merc Frame Dimension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CharlieLed, Feb 4, 2012.

1. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

I am looking for a dimension that is missing on the attached 50 Merc frame drawing. At the rear axle centerline I am looking for the height from the lower edge of the frame up to the curved section of the frame. I am trying to get an idea of how high the rearend can travel upwards before contacting the frame. Thanks...

Attached Files:

2. choppedmerc

choppedmerc
    from Spokane

If no one chimes in, I will go measure a bare frame I have in the morning.

3. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Thanks. My Merc is stored about 45 miles from the house in a barn under a pile of other stuff. I am working up some drawings for some chassis mods before I bring her home and get to tearing into her.

4. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

9" from top of axle tube to bottom of frame (bump stop removed) if that helps at all.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012

5. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I Have the same diagram I think But I'll post it anyway
    [​IMG]

6. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Thanks Matt, that gets me a little closer. So if memory serves me correctly, a stock Merc frame sits at about 9 inches clearance from the bottom of the frame to the road surface. An axle tube is about 3 inches in diameter and the tire height is about 26 inches. Using these numbers the axle center will be at 13 inches (road surface as reference), add 1-1/2 inches for half the axle tube, and another 9 inches for the top of the tube to the frame...so the numbers say that the frame sits 23-1/2 inches off the road in a stock Merc with 26 inch tall tires. Subtract off the 9 inch ride height (frame to road) will give me 14-1/2 inches as a measure from the lower edge of the frame to the top of the arched section over the centerline of the rear wheel as shown in the diagram.

I guess that the easiest way to look at it is that if my recollection of the frame height in a stock Merc is correct at 9 inches and using Matt's 9 inch clearance number, that one could say that the Merc could be dropped to the ground at approximately the same point where the axle tube contacts the frame. Does this sound reasonable?

7. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

pretty much with a 28" tire or a g78-15 the frame usually has to be stepped where the bottom of the frame where the axle would hit is now the top height of the frame..i think that adds a little bit of clearance between the two also.

8. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

The stock 7.10-15 tire is more like 28" tall, not 26". And wouldn't the dimension you're seeking vary with the leaf spring choice? In other words, a wagon or convertible may very well have different springs (I don't know for certain) than a Coupe does, and a set of well-worn springs different from a new set.

9. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

The tires I am using are 26 inches but I don't want to get too caught up in these details...what I am really looking for is a frame dimension as depicted in the attached drawing. Thanks...

Attached Files:

10. username

username

I have no idea how exact you need to be, but the stock axle tube is about 2.5".

I can measure a little closely, but I think the distance you needed is about 11". This was a quick (the closest thing was a 2"x4" for my "straight edge") measurement.

username

11. choppedmerc

choppedmerc
    from Spokane

CharlieLed - I went out and clamped a straight edge to the bottom of the frame, measured up to the flat area of the frame right at or behind the bump stop. I got 12 1/8" to the very bottom of the top frame rail. let me know if you need anything else.

Korey

Attached Files:

12. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Perfect! Thanks Korey.

13. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

I got 11.5" to the bottom of frame

14. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Thanks again Matt. I am working on getting a 98 Lincoln MKVIII IRS installed into my 50 merc and at some time in the future I will put up a tech post on all the hurdles I have faced in the process. The Lincoln MKVIII IRS has 5x4-1/4 lug spacing and a 10-1/8 inch rotor. I have bought the FRPP 5x4-1/2 in hubs and the 11-5/8 inch Cobra rotors to update the hubs/brakes. I am also fabricating a DOM tubular upper control arm to replace the "J"-shaped stamped steel stock arm...this will be stronger and will give me a lot more clearance to the air bags and axle.