Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another theft-My trailer this time

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by L. Eckart, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

.....and I bet I know who "they" is.....

2. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hmmm;

Not razor blades, but some really sloppy, pointy, bubblegum welds. Can you help it if you had to fix the frame along the bottom edge near the hitch, & you haven't learned to lay down a "stack of dimes" yet, or even end the weld w/o jerking? :D .

Some of the methods mentioned, bring a smile to my face, & while *I'd* never vote for a conviction of someone using any of these against a thief(s), (jury nullification), in MN, (the state where *nothing* is allowed), a lot of these will get - & keep - you in one large heap-o-trouble. Because most of the people will. We're not as fortunate as Texas. In a lot of ways.

Marcus...

3. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

Just go to the local farm supply store and buy a fence charger, hook the wire to the trailer and plug it in.

4. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

NRGWIZARD I don't care. I still like hurting people that try to hurt the good, hard working men and women of society.

5. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

The police in my village are fairly fast at responding to a call. I live on a farm on the outskirts of the village on a 1/4 mile dead end road. We average about every 1 1/2 some dumb ass drunk or druggie coming down our dead road and wreaking havoc. The last time some drug head came through in the middle of the night and wiped out a couple of calf huts my kids had his heifers in, killing one and injure two others so I know the aggravation felt by those that have posted here. I have also had a drughead PCB in a small out building and was ready to use deadly force to protect my family. After all I have experienced I still would not blow someone away because they're stealing a piece of property that can be replaced. However, if I ever was in the situation of someone beating down my door or in any way hurting one of my family members or friends I will guarantee I would take any action necessary to protect them. As I said, I live out in the country, my closest neighbor lives a 1/4 of mile away, I could fire a cannon off and no one would know. If I was in the situation where I had to do deathly harm to an invader I would not call the cops, and I guarantee you would not find the body.

I know this might be getting of topic but I know when to use what degree of force to protect me and mine. Killing some one over a $2-3K trailer is not worth the potential of ruining the rest of my life. The way the laws are set up even if you razor blades to protect your property and the thug gets hurt he could easily sue you for everything you're worked for. Also, some of the less deadly ideas that do sound good are only good if used. I know if I chained the axles up I'd forget to unchained them the next time I went to use my trailer. I'd then really be pissed and probably never do it again.

6. Goodlife

Goodlife

A friend of mine had a nice car trailer parked by his shop towards the rear of his acreage lake lot in what would be considered an upscale neighborhood. His wife came home just in time to see a truck with two Mexican males driving slowly in front of their home with a trailer attached. She didn't realize it at the time, but it was their trailer! His neighbor had just had his roof replaced by a company that used immigrant labor but the investigating agency said that wasn't enough of lead to follow up on. Go figure.

7. jazz1

jazz1

Removable hitch on trailers is good idea..motion lights are a good deterrent,,I have never had any problems cause I got a variety of noise/motion detectors,,[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  8. chuckekelly

chuckekelly

Hook it up to elec. 110 inside the shop so it will shock the s---t out of them if they touch it!

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's one I didn't think of. A plug for the hole with a locking pin wouldn't be a bad addition either.

10. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

One of my partners had an aluminum featherlite trailer stored at another client's shop, tucked way back behind the building, 10 foot fence and razor wire at the top. Someone cut the lock, drove in, cut the chain on the trailer, hitched it up and drove off. The cameras got them, but couldn't make a positive ID.

11. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Some one broke into my ford truck by using a coat hanger.The next night I glued razor blades under the door handle and left my truck unlocked and surely enough I found a bunch of blood on the door in the mornin. I would make some retractable tire slashers and put em in my drive way so when they go to hook the trailer up bye bye tires.

12. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I like this idea. Since they're going to take it anyway.

13. godspeedbear

godspeedbear
    from golden

If they have a tow truck or a repo hitch it's gone...

Something like a 3 point hitch on a tractor.. Back the trailer up to the ''dock'', lift the tail of the trailer and lock it down...

Then they will steal the tires....

14. I work as a Private Detective and we are experiencing a boom of thefts but we are capturing the thieves on Surveillance equipment that activates the clients telephone when it detects premise abnormalities.

Once the culprits are Identified it gets easier to catch the thieves.

We installed a system last Friday with the newest IR Cameras and had a theft that very night... lead to Two convictions just last weekend!

Seems that they knew the crooks who knew everything about the premises but they didn't know about the new equipment!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  15. handmedown40limited

handmedown40limited
    from tracy ca

Had this happen at my old shop but it wasnt a trailer. I walked out the bacat about 11pm and found two Mexican guys tryin to lift a full size leblonde lathe into the back of a company truck.. I was only about 15 feet from them. I walked right out with pen and paper wrote down the company name, truck # and license plate before I announced me being there with phone in hand. The lathe was dropped off after the shop owner. Now a very good friend had left. Came from his dads home shop after he passed away. People are stupid. They put it down nicely. And then ran into another neighbors work truck tryin to get out of there. Cops were called and I believe they got them gettin onto the main road.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  16. joeb1934

joeb1934

bury the towels with the body, and keep you mouth shut.

17. Those camera set ups at Costco or Best buy are cool for taking their picture and then nothing ever happening

Or catch them and smash their heads in and eat their hearts in front of their family

18. Ground the trailer to a 220v electric outlet. Sit back and watch the sparks fly when thieves try to steal it.:D

19. You underestimate hate of thrives

20. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

My advice would be to check into getting security camera system.

Tiger Direct or one of their stores which are Comp USA computer stores.

They have 8 camera systems for between $400 and $600 dollars that have night vision cameras with DVR recorders which work well.

One of the problems with cameras is you really need to have them set so that they can read a license plate number from a distance other wise all you are going to see is someone in a hooted sweat shirt with dark sun glasses and jeans which the police will tell you is no help in finding the person.

Also the cameras needed to be mounted high enough to stop someone from tampering with them.

I had a good friend who installed a system because of many problems in the past and the very first time someone tried to take something he took the video to the police showing the guy along with a great shot of his truck and they went right to his home and arrested him after looking at the video.

Cameras work!!!

21. ronk16

ronk16

there are very inexpensive motion activated web cams out there, they have low light and nite vision capabilities. all they need is power and a wifi connection, you can see them from your cell phone/smart phone. going high-tech will work, most thieves are not too bright and always go the easy path.....

22. noboD

noboD

I know someone that had their trailer stolen and it was not covered by insurance because it was not attached to his truck. He was on vacation and disconnected the trailer and chained it to a phone pole at the motel. Make sure you have your agent READ and SHOW you where it says the trailer is covered all the time.

23. Chuck Most

Chuck Most
    from Saskatoon

When I leave my trailer for long periods, I take off the hitch coupler and take it with me. I know some trailers have the coupler welded or built into the tongue, but if you have a bolt-on coupler removing it is a piece of cake. I doubt many trailer theves carry one around with them.

24. tbauer

tbauer

Sorry to hear about your trailer loss Larry. Do you have any pictures to post of it ? Lots of people here on the hamb to keep an eye out for it. I got pulled over in Texas for not having a license plate on my trailer at first I was mad for the harassment but after I thought about it if the trailer was stolen at least the cops are looking out for me as the owner. So i take the license plate off when not in use its easy to do and it just might help get a trailer back.

25. that sucks! id say take the wheels and the coupler off the front, but if they want it they will take it.. but it could be worse... had my truck damaged, trailer and camper on trailer destroyed by a drunk driver friday night he tried to load his lincoln on it instead of taking the camper off, while we were driving down the road....

26. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

A local had his corvette up on stands and his dog tied out where it could get all the way around the car. Somebody stole all 4 wheels. The dog was chewing on a large bone. Feed a dog and it's your friend.

27. the little brown one looks vicious... lol we got about the same array of dogs, the little one lets us know someone is around, our bigger one is the enforcer...

28. jazz1

jazz1

The little one is the Bitch, a podenco,,she rules the roost. The Standard poodle cannot be bought with bone or treat. The breed is an underestimated guard dog. The Weim and Ibizan will scare the livin' beejeeziz out of anyone.

29. Get a pitbull, people stay clear of them, even though mine will lick you to death!

30. But if they already saw what you did, its easy to fabricate the piece thats missing.