Register now to get rid of these ads!

what kind of five spokes are these???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rat nasty, Feb 4, 2012.

1. rat nasty

rat nasty

can someone tell me what brand of five spokes these are? 15x6 5 lug 4-1/2" bolt pattern magnesium centers steel rim outer someone painted the steel black i can scratch the grey center and the scratch stays dark unlike aluminum.there is no name identification on the backs? i would like to sell them kinda wanting to know what to price them?thnx in advance!

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      383.4 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      450.3 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      471.4 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      467.2 KB
      Views:
  2. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Those are very rare african 5 spoke wheels carved outta Ivory!!! :D

3. CH3NO2JAY

CH3NO2JAY
    from Chicago

Pics would def. be helpful... :)

4. rat nasty

rat nasty

do you want them i will throw in the ivory fo free?

5. rat nasty

rat nasty

sorry for the delayed pics

6. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

I got a set similar to them in my garage, they look kinda like rocket mag wheels.

7. rat nasty

rat nasty

8. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

Looks like a set of old ET's to me

9. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

There were tons of rims made like that from different manufacturers, I think Ragtop nailed it.

10. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

[​IMG]

Heres what mine look like if ya want to compare em

11. You said no name marking on back ... but what about other markings like size or "Japan" or "Made in Japan" ?

Fenton , et's . appliance ... gotta have some kind of marking

12. [QUOTE="T'RANTULA";7418999][​IMG]

Heres what mine look like if ya want to compare em[/QUOTE]

Your outer hoop is alum unlike the OT's which is steel isnt it?

13. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Some of em dont have any markings at all, you can only tell the brand by the center cap...

14. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

The out side of my wheels are magnesium and the inside is steel, but the ones at the top are what were tryin to figure out what they are

15. rat nasty

rat nasty

steel rim made in good ol' U.S.A. and the size is stamped in the rim between the beads in the center and has a S.E.M.A. SPEC 5-1 and a bunch of #'s and maybe a date 1969 or 1960? i didnt think they made magnesium wheels in 1969 but i duhno?

16. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

E/T’s have there logo buy one lug holes and the lug holes are UnaLug
    I have E/T’s and some like that …. Like said many company’s sold them

17. larryj

larryj
    from Madison AL

They look like a set of Fentons I have. The distance between adjacent holes for the center caps are 2-1/2" on the Fentons, the holes are 2-1/8" on most other wheels I have seen.

18. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

These look like they could also be early Cragar 5 spokes. At about the same time Cragar was making those cool 5 spokes for the 65 Shelby GT 350's they also made a 5 spoke American Racing copy that had a steel rim with an alloy center section. The reason I think these are Cragars is because of the spoke shape. They look to have a peak, as opposed to being round like the ET's or Americans.

19. rat nasty

rat nasty

u are right they do have a peak i thought the et's were rounded?

20. mrcob

mrcob

I believe those are old Rockets. You can tell by the peak along the top of each spoke. I haven't seen a Cragar with that feature but maybe someone who knows more about old Cragars will tell you otherwise. I have some mags like yours and they are Rockets.

21. Harms Way

Harms Way

If I remember right,

M/T , ET, Rocket, Keystones & Fenton as well as others offered that rim with different center caps,.. Sorry to say I am about 99.9% sure the center is Aluminum,.. and a lot of stories of failure plagued this particular style of construction, Aluminum center with the steel rim.( I actually seen some myself when I worked for Gratiot in the 70's ).

They were economy custom wheels,... No idea of value,... I did recently buy a pair of 15x8 ET all aluminum torque thrust knock offs for 60 bucks,... wish I could have been of more help.

bowie likes this.
  22. Harms Way

Harms Way

23. I have some ET-II's like that....I even have 2 that were narrowed to 4" frontrunners.

24. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The spokes are aluminum and not magnesium. We all wanted the genuine American 5 spoke magnesium wheels made for racing so all the aluminum clones were called "mag wheels" including the aluminum Americans that came out much later than the genuine mags and always will be but they are aluminum in almost every case.

[​IMG]

I believe that these are pretty early wheels...mid 60s? It's hard to find 15x6s. They are hard to come by today. I had a bitch of a time finding 15x6ers to fit my 56 Ford. plenty of 14"ers and plenty of 15x7 and 8 " width rims.

I have no idea what the make of my clones are but I was tickled to get a set of 4. 15X6ers No tire rub in the rear wheel wells.

You will get a lot of guesses as to who made them but unless they are marked in some way it's almost impossible to be sure.

I never studied the clones that I've had over the years and since I was always buying used wheels I can't be sure of the makes that I had. They were clones and nobody really cared. The ETs that I currently have have the logo cast into the center and they are not 2 piece rims. The 2 piece wheels were the bargain basement cheapo wheels that nobody bragged about....they just looked good. Most of us did not like the uni-lug feature because you can see the special washers. Since they are no longer made, it's hard to be very choosy anymore.
    Mine are 15 footers.:D

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  25. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

It seems we cover this subject every month. It doesn't really matter who made them. The two piece wheels are not very valuable. I'm happy when I sell them for $150 a pair, maybe $200 if they are cherry. Compared to all aluminum wheels which are generally $200+ per wheel.

bowie likes this.
  26. 3340

Mite Be Appliance Wheels,They Had Peaked Spokes Only a Guess.

27. Look exactly like the Keystones I bought in Juneau AK in mid 64. 14x7 were all that was available at that time. Less than a hundred for the set of 4 at that time. Came with lugnuts and washers.

28. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

They appear to be Cragar GT Grand Prix Wheels.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/phillip80/CragarGTwheels.jpg

I am restoring at set right now and the back of the wheel is identical.

I have 2 - 14x6 and 2 - 15x6 wheels and am having a hard time deciding on what size tires I want.

Do you still have the wheels, how many do you have and would you want to sell a pair? THANKS

29. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I have one 14x7, 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern that looks identical also,by looking at the webbing etc. in back of the ops wheel.

30. I have a pair of Mickey Thompson wheels that look like that. Alum. attached to a steel wheel.
    Mine have a M/T cast into the backside of one of the spokes.
    SPEEDY